MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The main thing is that they need to provide sufficient contrast from both teams’ outfield kits, but they’re also supposed to contrast with the other team’s keeper kit, as well as the ref kit.

Ooooooooh, gotcha. That makes sense. So there's not really a team branded kit for the keepers outside of a logo. Interesting. Thank you.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Timbers likely would’ve worn this combo, which they wore last season at Philadelphia and San Jose:

San-Jose-Earthquakes-versus-Portland-Tim

That certainly wouldn’t have been ideal, but it would’ve provided enough contrast from Atlanta’s red and black kit if necessary.

If that was the case (Portland still having red/black clash kits) the smart thing would be for the Timbers to be in green and Atlanta in White/Peach.  

Not sure that would fly with them, but after the ticket debacle, I couldn't care less.

Why can't both teams wear their home kits in the Cup final? I get if they were the same why that would be the case or why the league wouid make one switch, but why does the league do this? 

That white kit has been here for one season, it doesn't have any significant tie to this club, yet they're trotting out in it in a CUP FINAL.

Is there some league rule that two teams can't both wear their primaries even if they're not similar?

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

Why can't both teams wear their home kits in the Cup final? I get if they were the same why that would be the case or why the league wouid make one switch, but why does the league do this? 

That white kit has been here for one season, it doesn't have any significant tie to this club, yet they're trotting out in it in a CUP FINAL.

Is there some league rule that two teams can't both wear their primaries even if they're not similar?

First off, there is no such rule. In fact, this’ll be the first MLS Cup since 2010 that doesn’t feature both teams in their primaries (Dallas wore their blue and white hooped secondaries against Colorado in their burgundy and white primaries). 

Second, even though this particular white kit for the Timbers has only been around for one season so far, white kits (with green accents) definitely do have a significant tie to the club, as they’ve worn plenty of white kits throughout their history. They even had white kits as their primaries during their entire stint in the NASL, from 1975-82. So, while the green kit is their primary, and overall more unique and identifiable than the white kit, the white kit still does have a significant tie to the club.

Lastly, contrast would definitely be an issue if both teams were in their primaries for the final. The Timbers’ dark green with gold accents would be a bit too close to Atlanta’s primaries, specifically the black shorts and socks with gold accents. The only realistic way that the Timbers could’ve gone with their primaries is if they elected to go with the green/white/white combo that I posted earlier, but the white secondary kit definitely offers the best contrast (and is still clearly identifiable as the Timbers IMO). 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I wish the Timbers would’ve gone for green shorts. White/green/white is a really nice look.

Agreed, that’s really my only gripe. The all-white combo definitely offers the best contrast with Atlanta’s primaries, but the white/green/white combo is a better look overall and still would’ve contrasted just fine. That said, they wore the all-white combo during the road legs of both the Western Semis against Seattle and Western Conference Championship series against SKC, so I’m perfectly fine with them sticking with that look for the Final. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

25 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I wish the Timbers would’ve gone for green shorts. White/green/white is a really nice look that’s pretty identifiably Timbers.

mls_rapids_timbers_soccer_79927_c0-293-4

It bugs me that the green adidas stripes on the top flow in to white adidas stripes on the shorts.  If they got rid of the adidas stripes on the shorts altogether (when worn with white tops), this would be a much better look.  As it stands, it feels mismatched.

Notice, Colorado doesn't have the same issue becasuse they don't have blue stripes running down the sides of their top.

All about the details!

2 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Red and green are really difficult if you're color blind.

Remember this?

14COLORS1-jumbo.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

T-Mobile USA is headquartered across the lake from Seattle in Bellevue. That or Bret Hart is making a move in the PNW.

Also, that dumb Seattle badge looks better in monochrome.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

53 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

T-Mobile USA is headquartered across the lake from Seattle in Bellevue. That or Bret Hart is making a move in the PNW.

What is this madness?

We'd look like Inter Miami in these colors. Terrible that the team would do this just because T-Mobile's (probably) the new sponsor.

Also, wouldn't this mean we won't have a contrasting jersey vs Portland's forest green next year?

This is kinda ridiculous. I really hope this isn't true. Bring back the blue, please!

7 hours ago, zigbazah said:

I don't care for ATL's "Five Stipes" nickname. Now, it'll be weird if they decide to go with thinner stripes, like Barca this season. Way too design specific. 

I assumed it was a double entendre with Atlanta's "Five Points" being the city's main hub. But yeah, it does present certain design limitations.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I can get behind it, but considering Miami is incoming yeah, although I think it's a different shade of pink.

I don't dislike the idea of that, will actually have to see it to make up my mind definitively. So the idea isn't terrible yet, and I don't know how far in advance they design these kits but I can imagine the idea already existed before Miami unveiled their identity even behind closed doors so who knows. I could be totally wrong but I know these are in the pipeline for sort of a while.

Once we actually see it, then I'll make up my mind.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Like I've been saying, pink is the new black. But talk about coming out of left field, though!

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I assumed it was a double entendre with Atlanta's "Five Points" being the city's main hub. But yeah, it does present certain design limitations.

True dat. That said, the Philadelphia Union somehow figured out how to keep it "fresh" while maintaining the essence of their three-panel motif. (Then again, they never touted themselves as the "______ Stripes, either, so there's that.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I was going to say that the Sounders would be done with pink by the time Inter Miami joins the league, but MLS teams sign two-year shirt commitments, right? That puts Miami and Seattle both wearing pink in the 2020 season.

Kind of a dick move by Seattle, really. They'd never play against each other in pink, of course, but still kind of neuters the visual impact of the Miami franchise.

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I was going to say that the Sounders would be done with pink by the time Inter Miami joins the league, but MLS teams sign two-year shirt commitments, right? That puts Miami and Seattle both wearing pink in the 2020 season.

Kind of a dick move by Seattle, really. They'd never play against each other in pink, of course, but still kind of neuters the visual impact of the Miami franchise.

31 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

I can get behind it, but considering Miami is incoming yeah, although I think it's a different shade of pink.

I don't dislike the idea of that, will actually have to see it to make up my mind definitively. So the idea isn't terrible yet, and I don't know how far in advance they design these kits but I can imagine the idea already existed before Miami unveiled their identity even behind closed doors so who knows. I could be totally wrong but I know these are in the pipeline for sort of a while.

31 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

What is this madness?

We'd look like Inter Miami in these colors. Terrible that the team would do this just because T-Mobile's (probably) the new sponsor.

Also, wouldn't this mean we won't have a contrasting jersey vs Portland's forest green next year?

This is kinda ridiculous. I really hope this isn't true. Bring back the blue, please!

This is the same as Southampton having an all red jerseys with black shorts and white socks. They'll never wear them against Manchester United, they'll probably use them against teams like Brighton who wear blue and white stripes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Nice graphic(s) showing all of the MLS Cup shirt matchups:

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

DC has pretty much always looked awesome. Some of those early looks were really nice. The Herbalife Galaxy, dumb sponsor aside, are pretty nice too. Some exceptions aside, MLS is a pretty good-looking league.

Archived