Bad Jersey Sightings

Brass

So, some of you here might remember a remarkable Tumblr page called Straight Cash Homey which specialized in bad jerseys. The website, unfortunately, is no longer around, but their content is still available via their Twitter page. It was without a doubt one of my favorite websites for a good while and I was bummed when it was not updated anymore. I believe someone here discovered it. Since they can't continue the tradition, I say we do it.

So what exactly is a bad jersey? I'm not talking horrible customization or a counterfeit jersey from China, but rather jerseys that are of just bad players. Jerseys such as...

tumblr_lqv73lhGOf1qz5f20o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ltqvjtTPrP1qz5f20o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ll54xhqcV51qz5f20o1_500.jpg

Jerseys that make you question why in God's name anyone would either A.) pay money for it or B.) own it. We've all been to sports games and seen bad jerseys. Got any?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, I've been guilty of this ?

I have a road Ricky Romero jersey from the first season the Jays switched to their current look (2012 I believe?) 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Like the idea I own an SF Giants Ishikawa jersey (Gold ring ceremony edition from 2015) because it was on sale at the park for $20. 

dae752c6838e9306a62b72591dc90215.png

Also growing up a Sacramento Kings fan, I made some fantastic (read terrible) jersey choices. I've owned jerseys of Omri Casspi, Jon Brockman, Kevin Martin, etc 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

1 hour ago, Brass said:

So what exactly is a bad jersey? I'm not talking horrible customization or a counterfeit jersey from China, but rather jerseys that are of just bad players. Jerseys such as...

tumblr_ll54xhqcV51qz5f20o1_500.jpg

The fact that that's literally an all star jersey should give some sense of how 2004-era Roloson doesn't belong in this thread.

I worked with a guy who had a Latrell Sprewell jersey from the Knicks. He got it real cheap after the choking incident. 

Anyway, he wore that thing whenever we'd have some kind of casual Friday or spirit /sports gear day at work. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

10 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I feel like it's not worth my time to actually photograph the one in my closet, but I'm guilty of owning one of these...except mine's stitched. And I almost bought a Jahvid Best one a few years later.

5082140729948741111.jpg

Hah. I had a Cal Bears Best jersey! He was great for them, too bad concussions derailed his career. 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

I own this Charles Rogers jersey, only because I wanted the Lions throwback to wear on Thanksgiving.  Got it on sale for 10 dollars.

1_dcc827b8848a9736d1f2c5b16859de82.jpg

It wasn't until after the fact that i figured out what his history was.....but i still wear the jersey.

Sometimes people have their reasons for buying the jersey of a "bad" player.

I'm a BGSU grad and a Carolina Hurricanes fan. When the Canes traded for Jon Matsumoto a few years ago I had to have that jersey. I knew going into my purchase that it was very likely he wouldn't be in the organization long and would fizzle out after a year or two. But how often does someone from my school go on to play for my favorite NHL team? Still own the jersey and it is one of my favorites. I'm actually too afraid to wear it out because I don't want it to get beat up. It'll always be a neat jersey in my collection for many reasons. 

T1oYViW.png

I have/had some bad jerseys.  I got caught up in the popularity of jerseys in the early/mid 2000's

Juan Dixon - Wizards (I grew up a UMD fan, he was a hero)

Charles Rogers - Lions 

Darius Miles - Cavs (the black, pre-Lebron one)

Antwaan Randle El - Redskins

Jesus Flores - Nationals (I asked for a Matt Chico jersey for christmas one year, in hindsight thankfully Santa was wise enough not to get it)

90758391980.gif

I have a Mario Hezonja jersey I bought his rookie year (so it’s number 23, not 8 ). I’ve worn it about 3 times.(I asked for a Matt Chico jersey for christmas one year, in hindsight thankfully Santa was wise enough not to get it)

3 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

(I asked for a Matt Chico jersey for christmas one year, in hindsight thankfully Santa was wise enough not to get it)

I asked for a Brock Osweiler Texans jersey when they signed him. I don’t know what I was thinking, and I’m so glad I ended up not getting one.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

This reminds me of how the Raiders of my childhood era were so awful, the most popular jerseys were of the kicker (Janikowski) and the punter (Lechler).

I once owned Randy Moss, Derrick Burgess, Lamont Jordan, Jamarcus Russell and Darren McFadden jerseys. I probably would have bought Khalil Mack, Amari Cooper and Derrick Carr, too, but I stopped buying/wearing jerseys (and donated everything I owned) before they entered the league. Luckily, that was all balanced with Charles Woodson and Tim Brown jerseys, which could still be worn without protest. 

My most obscure jerseys were Troy Smith (Ravens), Sammy Sosa (Orioles) and Rashad McCants (Timberwolves), though. 

Archived