FC Cincinnati

bartodell

Granted, I was not present when the design brief was drafted, nor have I seen it, but if anything hyper-locally representative of Cincinnati was on that brief, well...

Cincinnati_Flag_Sticker_900x.jpg?v=14774

...How nothing even remotely referencing neither the bendy nor the buckeye leaves is a complete mystery to me, and I'm sure others, as well.

Unless there's a brand extension somewhere we're unaware of, perhaps maybe they didn't want to be too obvious with the symbolism...but IMHO Cincy's flag inagery is so strong and recognizable it just begs to be drawn from. Eh well...just my two rusted Lincolns, I guess.

All that being said, I'm cool with the lion too--although to be perfectly honest, I think I prefer the USL version over the MLS one. It seems more "classic", I guess. And the art style is more unique.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the New England Revolution's logo is both poorly-designed and dated... and has been since the moment it was foisted upon the public. The only reason that someone might successfully argue the Revolution didn't sport the absolute worst of Major League Soccer's original team logos is because all of said franchises' inaugural visual identities were absolute abominations.

I'm still of the mind that Mark Walls of St. Paul, Minnesota-based CEMA Graphics designed the best New England Revolution logo/crest I've ever seen.

HQZHaqUl.jpg

This design would ensure continuity of the team's visual identity by retaining elements of the logo that the Revolution have sported since the franchise's inception (namely, the star-paneled soccer ball and U.S. flag striping). At the same time, execution of said components would be rendered in a more visually-appealing fashion and contained within a more traditional shield-shaped badge. 

I don't think that logo is that great. It just feels like a generic soccer logo to me that I'd find on any clipart site. 

Edit: not to say it's poorly executed/designed. Just doesn't feel unique to me. 

18 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

What turns me off is how MLS has divided its North American fan base and the snobby arrogance of European(mostly British) soccer/football fans towards North American sports and its traditions. 

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Say... what, now? :blink:

Yeah....I'm going to have to ask how they are doing that?  You seem upset about something that I don't even see.

I'm really surprised at all the hate for the Cincy crest. I like it quiet a bit.

Is the use of 2 shades of blue weird? yeah. But they've used a lion before and they have a pretty unique colour scheme for MLS. I'm picturing some inspiration from the Netherlands colours for their kits. I'm liking it. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I also like the current Revs logo. And the fact that it's stuck around for 20 years in defiance of all logical sense.

Can you imagine if the Rapids were still using this bad boy?

coloradorapids1996.jpg?1384968217

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the New England Revolution's logo is both poorly-designed and dated... and has been since the moment it was foisted upon the public. The only reason that someone might successfully argue the Revolution didn't sport the absolute worst of Major League Soccer's original team logos is because all of said franchises' inaugural visual identities were absolute abominations.

I'm still of the mind that Mark Walls of St. Paul, Minnesota-based CEMA Graphics designed the best New England Revolution logo/crest I've ever seen.

HQZHaqUl.jpg

This design would ensure continuity of the team's visual identity by retaining elements of the logo that the Revolution have sported since the franchise's inception (namely, the star-paneled soccer ball and U.S. flag striping). At the same time, execution of said components would be rendered in a more visually-appealing fashion and contained within a more traditional shield-shaped badge. 

I’ve never gone public with this, but I love the Revs logo. It greets nearly every tenet of conventional logo and branding wisdom with a great big, “F yourself,” and it does so with confidence and gusto. The only thing that I hate about it is that there’s not a great way to display it on dark colors. That can be worked around on the uniform and many places where it might be used, but it definitely is potentially challenging for some applications.

That said, the current Revs logo, while it is polarizing, completely bonkers, and certainly stuck in its time (though I’d argue it’s aesthetic is very representative of a particularly memorable time in American soccer; the ‘94 World Cup), it is, above all else, distinctive and expressive. The one you’ve got there is forgettable. All it says to me is, “Yeah, we’re the token stars and stripes team in our league.” That’s not to say I don’t think the Revs brand or logo could be improved, but I definitely don’t think the one you’ve posted is the right move.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

I don't think that logo is that great. It just feels like a generic soccer logo to me that I'd find on any clipart site. 

Edit: not to say it's poorly executed/designed. Just doesn't feel unique to me. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

To my mind, Mr. Walls' concept for an updated New England Revolution logo retains familiar elements of the team's current graphic identity (star-paneled soccer ball... U.S. flag striping); presents those elements in a more refined and aesthetically pleasing manner, while also bringing them within a traditional badge-like containment shape; renders the team's name in a font style that more directly ties to the era in which the inspiration for said sobriquet (the American Revolution) took place, and more effectively integrates the word mark into the overall composition of the resulting emblem.

The result is a New England Revolution mark that, in my opinion, would instantly become one of the top team crests in all of Major League Soccer.

2 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’ve never gone public with this, but I love the Revs logo. It greets nearly every piece of conventional logo wisdom with a great big, “F yourself,” and it does so with confidence and gusto. The only thing that I hate about it is that there’s not a great way to display it on dark colors. That can be worked around on the uniform and many places where it might be used, but it definitely is potentially challenging for some applications.

That said, the current Revs logo, while it is polarizing, completely bonkers, and certainly stuck in its time (though I’d argue it’s aesthetic is very representative of a particularly memorable time in American soccer; the ‘94 World Cup), it is, above all else, distinctive and expressive. The one you’ve got there is forgettable. All it says to me is, “Yeah, we’re the token stars and stripes team in our league.” That’s not to say I don’t think the Revs brand or logo could be improved, but I definitely don’t think the one you’ve posted is the right move.

See above. 

What you see as "a great big 'F yourself'" to conventional logo wisdom, I see as dated, insipid, aesthetically offensive design. What it says to me is, "Yeah, we're the token mid-90s, 'it looks like our team owner let his kindergarten-age  grandchildren design the club logo with crayons' team in our league." It has always struck me as a looking completely bush-league.

To each their own, I guess.

8 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’ve never gone public with this, but I love the Revs logo. It greets nearly every tenet of conventional logo and branding wisdom with a great big, “F yourself,” and it does so with confidence and gusto. The only thing that I hate about it is that there’s not a great way to display it on dark colors. That can be worked around on the uniform and many places where it might be used, but it definitely is potentially challenging for some applications.

It’s also a symbol of a team run in the most apathetic manner possible, seen only as a way to fill dates at the Pats’ stadium/keep Bob Kraft’s son mildly occupied. It represents the worst branding and marketing practices of MLS 1.0.

The team would do well to go in a more “New England” direction, but I’m not sure what that’d entail. Of course, I don’t expect anything to change with the team, given the Krafts’ continued apathy towards the team, lack of desire to sell, and the insane political and financial efforts needed to get an SSS in Boston proper.

13 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

To my mind, Mr. Walls' concept for an updated New England Revolution logo retains familiar elements of the team's current graphic identity (star-paneled soccer ball... U.S. flag striping); presents those elements in a more refined and aesthetically pleasing manner, while also bringing them within a traditional badge-like containment shape; renders the team's name in a font style that more directly ties to the era in which the inspiration for said sobriquet (the American Revolution) took place, and more effectively integrates the word mark into the overall composition of the resulting emblem.

The result is a New England Revolution mark that, in my opinion, would instantly become one of the top team crests in all of Major League Soccer.

In the end it is a shield with a soccer ball and stripes, though, with the wording in a banner across the top of it. Although executed well, it kinda hits every cliché in the book for a soccer logo. 

soccer-logo-design-template-football-bad vector-football-or-soccer-logos-set-clip

set-of-american-soccer-team-labels-emble

4 hours ago, Buc said:

Granted, I was not present when the design brief was drafted, nor have I seen it, but if anything hyper-locally representative of Cincinnati was on that brief, well...

...How nothing even remotely referencing neither the bendy nor the buckeye leaves is a complete mystery to me, and I'm sure others, as well.

Unless there's a brand extension somewhere we're unaware of, perhaps maybe they didn't want to be too obvious with the symbolism...but IMHO Cincy's flag inagery is so strong and recognizable it just begs to be drawn from. Eh well...just my two rusted Lincolns, I guess.

All that being said, I'm cool with the lion too--although to be perfectly honest, I think I prefer the USL version over the MLS one. It seems more "classic", I guess. And the art style is more unique.

On the one hand, I think the city/state flag thing as design element is played out.

On the other, Cincy has like the best flag.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s also a symbol of a team run in the most apathetic manner possible, seen only as a way to fill dates at the Pats’ stadium/keep Bob Kraft’s son mildly occupied. It represents the worst branding and marketing practices of MLS 1.0.

The team would do well to go in a more “New England” direction, but I’m not sure what that’d entail. Of course, I don’t expect anything to change with the team, given the Krafts’ continued apathy towards the team, lack of desire to sell, and the insane political and financial efforts needed to get an SSS in Boston proper.

I can’t disagree with that, but it’s inconsequential to me when evaluating the logo.

In fact, I’d argue that it indirectly reinforces my point. The team itself might as well be invisible (whether due to ownership apathy, lack of success, etc.), but the logo is pretty damn recognizable in comparison (and it’s original in sports, even 20+ years later). The Revs logo is more famous (or infamous) than the team itself. It’s like the Whalers in that regard, just much more polarizing. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

Also doesn’t the Lion of St. Mark carry a bible? FCC's lion carries a sword instead.

[extremely movie trailer voiceover] whoever said the pen is mightier has never been disemboweled

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

In the end it is a shield with a soccer ball and stripes, though, with the wording in a banner across the top of it. Although executed well, it kinda hits every cliché in the book for a soccer logo. 

soccer-logo-design-template-football-bad vector-football-or-soccer-logos-set-clip

set-of-american-soccer-team-labels-emble

From where I'm sitting, none of the logos you've cited is anywhere near as well-designed or aesthetically-pleasing as Mark Walls' New England Revolution concept.

In each and every logo you've shared, there is some aspect of the design that strikes me as being completely extraneous or poorly-integrated: motion lines, randomly-placed founding dates, needless gradients, extraneous stars, crowns, flames, laurel sprigs, awkwardly-shaped shields, etc.

By comparison, Mr. Walls' logo concept is a testament to the strength of simple, straightforward, effective graphic design.                

Archived