B-Rich

Old school --lower case, non-caps in branding

On 11/23/2018 at 8:44 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Thats great! I’d love to see more examples like this. 

Not the right forum for this, but Target recently opened a City Target across the street from NC State University on Hillsborough Street in a converted bowling alley. The bowling alley that was there used to be called "Western Lanes" and then "The Alley," and was  popular hangout for NC State students. While the exterior doesn't have quite the same aesthetic, Target paid homage to the bowling alley with some of the artwork throughout the store.

dtrnews-target-opens-on-hillsborough-str59d1cbca6bab8.image.jpg

I was browsing American Needle’s NPB items just for fun and noticed the Sankei/Yakult Atoms had the old school lowercase going on in the 60’s-early 70’s:

15+BBM+MOU+Arakawa.jpeg

attachment.php?attachmentid=213214&stc=1

I’d only seen it for the first time last night, but I already love that identity. 

When the Rays created their 1970s “fauxbacks” they used a lowercase wordmark, like the ‘70s Padres, and a lowercase cap logo.DPBbIx0XkAIVDlX.jpgraysfauxback.jpg

The jersey wordmark isn’t surprising, since the Rays stole the design wholesale from the Padres’ old unis. 

rays-padres-throwback.jpg

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The jersey wordmark isn’t surprising, since the Rays stole the design wholesale from the Padres’ old unis. 

rays-padres-throwback.jpg

I hate that whole exercise, because they decided to be derivative instead of trying to do their own take on 1970s experimentation (e.g., bold color arrangements, unique striping arrangements in different areas - like UCLA-style stripes, and going beyond Bauhaus/Eurostile-like fonts).

11 hours ago, grahamkp said:

When the Rays created their 1970s “fauxbacks” they used a lowercase wordmark, like the ‘70s Padres, and a lowercase cap logo.DPBbIx0XkAIVDlX.jpg

I wish they had more yellow in their set.  I love this combo.

1297.gif

The Seattle Pilots, in their one and only season in 1969, sported an all-lowercase logo.

NOTE: Holy smokes, this is my 2000th post! :D

Good call on that one. 

HA-Pilots_road_jersey.jpg

Sadly, the Brewers didn’t quite carry over the all-lower case when they repurposed those jerseys. 

107112a_lg.jpeg

Bumping this because I went down a rabbit hole looking at designs of old baseball cards. It's not "team branding" per se, but the design of 1959 Topps struck me:

efe2a80db3e5f3286513ee9cc08a2190.jpg

I was familiar with this design, but didn't realize it was 1959! I found this interesting, as I (and I'm probably not the only one) associate the "lower case" fad with the '70s, maybe the late '60s. 

4 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Bumping this because I went down a rabbit hole looking at designs of old baseball cards. It's not "team branding" per se, but the design of 1959 Topps struck me:

efe2a80db3e5f3286513ee9cc08a2190.jpg

I was familiar with this design, but didn't realize it was 1959! I found this interesting, as I (and I'm probably not the only one) associate the "lower case" fad with the '70s, maybe the late '60s. 

Also (and outside the scope of this thread), how about that alternate version of the Yankees' top hat logo, with the circle and the script in blue instead of red?