Oldschoolvikings updates the World Hockey League - Indianapolis Racers added, 3/28/19

oldschoolvikings

It's been a while since I added anything here.  I should mention that I have no real memories of this league... I just thought it wold be entertaining (to myself) to make these. So I have no idea if I'm choosing beloved franchises (or if there even were any beloved franchises) or just some fly-by-night team that lasted half a season and couldn't make payroll.  

Anyway... here is team called the Ontario Nationals...

spacer.png

Weird logo...

spacer.png

And here's what I came up with...

spacer.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Great stuff from top to bottom.  I like that you're having fun with it and going way outside the box on some.  

Guest darkpiranha

Love Baltimore.   Great integration of the flag pattern.  Any reason why the number on the home jersey is beige?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darkpiranha
On 3/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Doh!!

No good reason.  I'll fix it.

Close!  You still have a beige 5, lol.  Coloring are hard!

Guest darkpiranha
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Calgary Cowboys. This is an amazingly dopey logo...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This logo has made me wonder what a goalie mask-styled bandana for a Desperados or Bandits-named team would look like.  Like, the bandana is fiberglass and white and has the airholes in it.  (as I type this, I'm doubting myself in calling it a 'bandana'. My brain is trying to tell me "that's not what it's called".  But the mask an old west bandit would wear over his mouth... that's a bandana, right???)

Guest darkpiranha

Racers look fantastic, but I think the logo needs a little more work. The "I" just sits in the circle awkwardly.  What about using the "slice of bread" shape from the original logo, but angled like your "I" and styled like your circle?

9 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Racers look fantastic, but I think the logo needs a little more work. The "I" just sits in the circle awkwardly.  What about using the "slice of bread" shape from the original logo, but angled like your "I" and styled like your circle?

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily in love with the circle I either, but I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting.

Guest darkpiranha
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily in love with the circle I either, but I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting.

Put the angled capital "I" in the rounded trapezoid from the old Racers logo.  I like the stroke you have on the current circle, so I was suggesting using that same styling on the rounded trapezoid.  

That cowboys concept just doesn’t work for Calgary, I’m sorry. I love it, but having lived there once I can safely say that any cowboy-themed team would likely be more rodeo-themed than Wild West-themed. Also, the white Stetson hat is a huge symbol for the city, and while the 70s logo is weak by comparison, it’s kind of basically everything that was needed to be said for a team called the Calgary Cowboys. You knew they were evoking the Calgary Stampede with that look.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:29 AM, appleclock said:

That cowboys concept just doesn’t work for Calgary, I’m sorry. I love it, but having lived there once I can safely say that any cowboy-themed team would likely be more rodeo-themed than Wild West-themed. Also, the white Stetson hat is a huge symbol for the city, and while the 70s logo is weak by comparison, it’s kind of basically everything that was needed to be said for a team called the Calgary Cowboys. You knew they were evoking the Calgary Stampede with that look.

That all makes sense.  I've never lived there, obviously, so I had no idea on those insights.  I'll have to rethink it. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Archived