Best Logo Refreshes

nash61

For this topic, I'm looking for the best refreshes of existing logos that keep the basic structure intact, just bringing it into the modern era.

My personal favourites:

2334.gif6242.gif

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gif2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some really subtle ones that you can see on the mothership. Many would consider the Dolphins' 1997 refresh as a suitable contribution to this thread, but they made several small adjustments to their logo before that. There's the position of the animal within the sun, of course, but the definition was enhanced slightly, I think in 1989 or so. The Broncos from 1993-96 had a slightly clearer and more detailed horse jumping through the D than before. In the pre-Internet days, little changes could be made without a bunch of hype. Nowadays teams aren't so lucky, with the likes of this site around.

14 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Why the team doesn't use this is absolutely mind boggling.

I wonder if part of the problem is that it's hard to center. The original logo had so much going on left of the circle that your eye didn't need the circle to be in the middle of the jersey to look right. The logo as a whole was pretty rectangular, so it was okay that the circle was not centered on the jersey/other applications. Similar thing as the Red Wings logo. You don't need the wheel to be centered on the jersey because the whole logo overall is wider.

The updated logo, however, is much closer to being an overall square than a wide rectangle. Your eye would want the circle to be centered on a jersey, but it wouldn't be because of the stuff that breaks the left side of the circle. If you center the whole logo on the jersey it looks off because the circle is just off-center. If you center the circle on the jersey, it still looks off because of the elements to the left. 

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Why the team doesn't use this is absolutely mind boggling.

Probably because the owner has no clue as to what he is doing.  I don't know why they even bothered coming up with it in the first place.

fsu-spear-logo-clipart-1.jpg

eafdc2ac81be54ab823d9ec1d60ed654.png

I will not say the same for Chief Osceola, however... I didn't care much for the execution of it when it was updated; today, I still don't. Nonetheless I've accepted it.

(Tangentially related: I also don't care much for the "new" garnet. I know it's just Nike's standardized "dark red" color, same as they use for Alabama, Arkansas, probably USC, too--but I much prefer the brighter, "redder" garnet we used to have and I want it back. A richer gold would probably help, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived