Best Logo Refreshes

nash61

On 11/22/2018 at 9:29 AM, BellaSpurs said:

xMzxXnW.png

Cub2GXy.png

It's kind of unfair to call it a refresh since they had another logo in between the two logos.

I'm partial on the fiesta logo, but I actually liked the 2003-2017 logo of any of the Spurs logos. The recent refresh is just too simple for my liking.

San-Antonio-Spurs-Logo.png

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The black fill/inner outlines on the older version were much worse than the current. On the current logo, it's clear that the black fill is supposed to be there as fill, where as the older one it was a combo of outlines and fill. Plus the top-right part of the S is not aligned with the bottom-right part of the S (on the older logo).

True, but those are minor and easily-corrected problems.  The new one goes too far, and by removing the black altogether they have made the logo less legible, more muddy.   

3 hours ago, Survival79 said:

What about the Fiesta alternate?

Vx5fZFF.png

cvHOvVV.gif

I could probably live with that. I just REAAAAAAALLY hate their latest logo change. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 11/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, BellaSpurs said:

xMzxXnW.png

Cub2GXy.png

This new Spurs logo really doesn’t work for me. The font is far too plain and the spur does not fit this look. Maybe a 2D or vertical spur would work with this application? The previous logos had matching drop shadows or outlines to tie it all together.

It also looks like the word “Spurs” was laid out with all regular letters, then the u was removed and replaced sloppily with the spur. The balance of the spur appears too far away from the p and even farther away from the r. It reads more like the San Antonio S.P.R.S. with their logo in the middle. 

57 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Portland-New-Logo-Compare-590x375.png

I agree on the pinwheel logo, that's an upgrade, but the font change was dumb. 

I would have loved to have seen them use the font they use on the Rip City logo 

logos.jpg

kimball banner.png

35 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree on the pinwheel logo, that's an upgrade, but the font change was dumb. 

I would have loved to have seen them use the font they use on the Rip City logo 

logos.jpg

Agreed, that would’ve been the best case scenario IMO. I don’t mind the current font too much though, and still think it’s a significant upgrade over the previous italic font that had pointed serifs on every letter and the awkward combination of outlines and drop shadows on the jersey wordmarks.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Whereas the new version is a cleaner, better crafted, more modern design, it loses too much of the Native mask aesthetic that was its inspiration and thus I would consider it a downgrade. 

Seahawks-Mask-Courtesy-the-Hudson-Museum

I would debate the integrity of the original; its linework is very directly lifted from the artifact (silhouette, mouth, beak, eyes, brow...). That alone puts in on the wrong side of moral for me.

For that reason, I prefer the current. It’s a great interpretation of a piece of native art, not a direct copy of one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

Aside from replacing the black background with royal blue, this is a downgrade.

You gonna elaborate on that one?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

54 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

You gonna elaborate on that one?

Sure.  Losing the angled stick makes the monogram look too flat while weakening the tie-in with the primary logo.  I also don't like how the orange stripes were moved down to the blade.  It makes them look they're trying to double as hockey-tape which brings unwanted comparisons to the problems of the original Sharks logo (tape not going all the way around).

Archived