Best Logo Refreshes

nash61

17 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Maybe this should be over at unpopular opinions, but I really like how the ice blue looks in the older logo. The newer one is cleaner in a good way, and the eye is definitely an upgrade, but it feels almost too simple to me.

I definitely love the emphasis on navy and yellow with the 2013 update...but in some ways still kinda wish that "icy" blue was still around.

This awesome concept by Quentin Brehler is a nice (and cleaner) bridge between the two:

logo_predators.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Buc said:

I definitely love the emphasis on navy and yellow with the 2013 update...but in some ways still kinda wish that "icy" blue was still around.

This awesome concept by Quentin Brehler is a nice (and cleaner) bridge between the two:

logo_predators.jpg

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes that color.

yeah that's really well done.  Not sure it needs the blue/gray on the teeth, but it simplifies it a great deal, effectively works in all the colors, and gets it closer to passing the "book cover" test.  That would be a great upgrade for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

Just look at the lower jaw on the original...  Not good. The new one is a lot better. 

I like the extra dark look of the original. The sharp teeth,the eye shape,the whiskers and just the extra edge on the old one makes it better. However with that said the edges and blue on the current one is MUCH better

12 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

Just look at the lower jaw on the original...  Not good. The new one is a lot better. 

right, the original was not good. it was kind of like "im not very good at drawing but i have an idea and i think i can make it iconic". the current logo is more like "i have no idea what im doing but it's 2AM, im drunk, and this is due tomorrow!". really, its a special kind of bad. like, whoever is responsible for it should feel ashamed and embarrassed; absolutely done by someone who had no business constructing this logo. the paths and shapes, all the Pen Tool work are obvious marks of an amateur. but in all fairness, my disappointment isn't even with who drew it specifically, but whoever allowed it to happen. its mindboggling how that makes it to an NFL helmet. if i taught a logo class, i would use this logo as an example of the poorest craftsmanship ever seen in professional sports.

when it came out, Fraser Davidson did a good job of pointing out most of the flaws. this doesn't include the poor pen-tooling mentioned before or the incredible amount of tangents.

dCCbvT3.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Some of those “flaws”, like him looking back over his shoulder, are present in the original.  And I don’t agree with all of his critiques, that the eyes are “too simple”. 

We love to pretend that all of our subjective preferences are objective fact, but they aren’t. To each his own.  

23 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

right, the original was not good. it was kind of like "im not very good at drawing but i have an idea and i think i can make it iconic". the current logo is more like "i have no idea what im doing but it's 2AM, im drunk, and this is due tomorrow!". really, its a special kind of bad. like, whoever is responsible for it should feel ashamed and embarrassed; absolutely done by someone who had no business constructing this logo. the paths and shapes, all the Pen Tool work are obvious marks of an amateur. but in all fairness, my disappointment isn't even with who drew it specifically, but whoever allowed it to happen. its mindboggling how that makes it to an NFL helmet. if i taught a logo class, i would use this logo as an example of the poorest craftsmanship ever seen in professional sports.

On close inspection, I’ve got to agree with you. I’d say that @mcrosby made a better update (I even like his decision to replace black with dark purple):

d4m4AwC.png

The Fraser Davidson one also works (but is way to aggressive):

pathers1.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Some of those “flaws”, like him looking back over his shoulder, are present in the original.  And I don’t agree with all of his critiques, that the eyes are “too simple”. 

We love to pretend that all of our subjective preferences are objective fact, but they aren’t. To each his own.  

i dont know mate. “do whatever you want and like what you like” seems an odd position on craftsmanship. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

22 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont know mate. “do whatever you want and like what you like” seems an odd position on craftsmanship. 

I never said that.  Just that some of his claims are obviously subjective, and we can’t claim that all our subjective preferences are actually objective. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I never said that.  Just that some of his claims are obviously subjective, and we can’t claim that all our subjective preferences are actually objective. 

i feel like thats not whats going on here (with the Fraser graphic). he is adressing craft. “the eyes are too simple” might not have been communicated in the best way but look what he did to fix it. he forms an entire brow and the eye shapes are very different; rounded on the bottom as to not apear as a squint. 

Fraser corrected the mistakes that make it hard to believe the form the logo is trying to take. there are no tangents which create visual tension and makes embroidery difficult. he corrected obvious linework mistakes, the mark of an amateur not comfortable with their tools. these are absolutley craft issues.

everyone is free to like or not like whatever they want. i like 80s hair metal but i wouldnt argue its great music, you know?. i really feel we cannot pass this Panthers logo along as an acceptable peice of artwork. it brings this community (and worst case scenario the industry) down to say “its ok as it is because i like it”. we must have better standards than that, and if theres someone more knowledagle and talented than Davidson that disagrees, id love to hear it. i think youd be extremly hard pressed to find it, and i think it would do us all some good to try and learn what he is trying to teach us rather than fighting it because we dont like it as much. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i feel like thats not whats going on here (with the Fraser graphic). he is adressing craft. “the eyes are too simple” might not have been communicated in the best way but look what he did to fix it. he forms an entire brow and the eye shapes are very different; rounded on the bottom as to not apear as a squint.

And yet his own version is clunky and unbalanced.  Again, it’s often subjective and not objective.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

it brings this community (and worst case scenario the industry) down to say “its ok as it is because i like it”. we must have better standards than that, and if theres someone more knowledagle and talented than Davidson that disagrees, id love to hear it. i think youd be extremly hard pressed to find it, and i think it would do us all some good to try and learn what he is trying to teach us rather than fighting it because we dont like it as much. 

I really respect you, but man.  This comment?  :rolleyes:  

Nobody’s fighting his opinion.  We just don’t all have to share it.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

On close inspection, I’ve got to agree with you. I’d say that @mcrosby made a better update (I even like his decision to replace black with dark purple):

d4m4AwC.png

The Fraser Davidson one also works (but is way to aggressive):

pathers1.png

While I understand the issues pointed out above (all of which are fairly nitpicky and some of which are looking for issues where they don't exist) with the current update and I prefer it to these. The black face looks more cool and intimidating. These look more like high school/semi-pro logos to me, no offense to the designers. 

Archived