VDizzle12

Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

How about just not having a navy alternate?

r137051_1296x729_16-9.jpg

indians-lose-to-cubs-world-series-game-7

divisional-round-houston-astros-v-clevel

I don’t really believe in curses, but those navy jerseys have the stink of playoff failure on them. Besides, having a red jersey only would be nice.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That and it's too close to Cincinnati's C. But I agree with your boxes and the necessity of their ticking.

I do think it's interesting what would've happened as we moved into the branding era if the Indians never dropped the wishbone C in the 70s. Would the Indians and Reds both have very similar logos? Would the Indians have changed, with the Reds establishing their claim to the design through (a) using it first and (b) not being god-awful for 40 years?

This is, of course, the Indians' problem. Their most-used C logo is nearly identical to another club's, and anything that's more rounded would immediately draw Cubs comparisons. You're mostly left with the block they've gone with or something more ornate like they used before the wishbone C

Milt%20Galatzer%201936%204x6%20300-300x3

Actually, that's probably the right answer, isn't it?

Just now, crashcarson15 said:

Indeed! But I’m more a fan of the Buckeyes’ similar design.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0Utj47Pz2yHxM5cWGMWP

new-era-cleveland-buckeyes-fitted-negro-

That last cap in particular would look fantastic with the current uniform. Heck, make it the leading letter of a “Cleveland” cursive script and I’d be pleased.

My biggest gripe with the navy jersey is the lack of trim. The rest of the jerseys have trim...why on earth doesn't his one have it? Makes it look like a practice jersey.

Image result for cleveland indians jerseys 2019

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

In parting, I do want to point out that the comments made stating that there's basically no such thing as "white culture," as part of a conversation where they are at least partially defending the use of the term "Indian" is woefully obtuse.

I made that point to illustrate how, ultimately, we all have terms for ourselves that gloss over very important ethnic distinctions within whatever group we identify with. I said “there’s no such thing as ‘white culture’” to illustrate that that applies to...pretty much all groups. There are European cultures, not a single white culture. Yet we still use “white people” as a shorthand.

Much like we use “Indian,” “Native,” “First Nations,” and other terms as shorthands to refer to the diverse ethnic groupings of the people native to the Americas. 

What you call woefully obtuse I call using a parallel to demonstrate why I don’t think a term used to refer to all Native American nations collectively (hell, “Native American” is one such term) is a malicious attempt to rob them of their unique ethnic identities. No more than any other blanket term used as a shorthand to refer to larger ethnic groupings. 

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

@Ice_Cap When I used the term white-splaining (also used as whitesplaining) I wasn't accusing you of being white. I noted in your earlier comment that you don't identify as such, but was aligning it with the type of behavior typically seen in whites trying to explain racism to people of color. Any education you may have in the area doesn't negate the fact that the article you shared only served to highlight that the term isn't something that Native Americans are simply okay with being called

I know what white-splaining is. @SFGiants58 and I had a convo about it last night/early this morning. 

My points are as such. 

1) White-splaining is a critique of political “whiteness.” 

2) Political “whiteness” was used as a justification to do a lot of harm to not only my family but millions more who shared our ethnicity. 

3) So don’t haphazardly associate me with a concept that once tried industrially slaughter everyone like me just because we disagree on the name for the :censored:ing Cleveland Indians. 

As for the article I linked? You claimed that no one in your experience used the term “Indian.” The only thing I was attempting to demonstrate was this was far from the consensus among the Native community. I wasn’t trying to “explain” racism to you, I was simply clarifying the record on a point of contention.

Is the name “Indian” falling out of favour with younger generations of Natives? You would certainly have a better grasp on that than I would. I was merely trying to say that, present-day? That’s far from a universal consensus within Native communities. 

If the name is entirely (or mostly) cast off in twenty years or so when the be generation shift is more or less complete? Then yeah, the Cleveland Indians will probably have to grapple with that and find a way to move on from the name. 

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would like to publicly apologize to @Ice_Cap for my careless choice of words. It was thoughtless, and I take full responsibility for all consequences stemming from it.

Ice, I am genuinely sorry for my carelessness, and I promise I will do better in the future. 

Thank you mate, it’s very much appreciated :)

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Political whiteness is a fascinating topic for me, from both a historical and ethnographic perspective. It ties nicely into topics of assimilation and reactions to various immigrant movements in relation to real-world conflicts and other events. 

But back to the Cleveland AL Baseball Club. Is it bad that I kind of want to see racing stripes return for an alternate?

image.jpg

I know that the second Major League movie isn’t as popular as the first, but the asymmetrical stripes are a fantastic change of pace from the normal style of stripes.

I’ve wanted a team to use asymmetrical racing stripes for years. It’s probably my favourite uniform element in all of sports going unused. 

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Thank you mate, it’s very much appreciated :)

I’ve wanted a team to use asymmetrical racing stripes for years. It’s probably my favourite uniform element in all of sports going unused. 

I liked those when they came out, but by the time they moved into Jacobs Field I was glad to be rid of them. Mainly because those teams were just bad, it felt like they were trying to get some mojo from the Mets and also . . . that was the uniform the team was wearing when Steve Olin and Tim Crews were killed during spring training. It felt like they were wearing a death shroud that whole 1993 season. 

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I liked those when they came out, but by the time they moved into Jacobs Field I was glad to be rid of them. Mainly because those teams were just bad, it felt like they were trying to get some mojo from the Mets and also . . . that was the uniform the team was wearing when Steve Olin and Tim Crews were killed during spring training. It felt like they were wearing a death shroud that whole 1993 season. 

Well it doesn’t have to be Cleveland. I’d be fine with a number of teams going that way. 

I’d even say the Mets if I wasn’t relieved that they’ve finally dropped the black. Kind of don’t want them tinkering again, lest they start going with more bad ideas :P

2 minutes ago, poser said:

Spiders can work?

Image result for san francisco spiders

You can make a cool Spiders identity. I’m not sure this is it :P

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

You can make a cool Spiders identity. I’m not sure this is it :P

Depends on if we are judging on a 90's NHL alternates scale or not.

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

uhhh, let me be clear, if you, uh, you like your, ah, you like your baseball team's name, you can keep it

22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Neocv8e.jpg

source.gif

My ideal Cleveland Spiders cap would be a navy crown with a red spider silhouette with a navy block C within it. 

And seeing as it would be an intentional throwback to a very old team name? Go all the way and design a alternate of a spider swinging a baseball bat ala the Beer Barrel Man or the Swinging Friar. Sort of “this is what they would have designed if the name had originally stuck around longer.” 

Spiders isn’t a dumb name, but there’s a lot of room to get unnecessarily ridiculous. No one needs dumb spider webs sublimated over the uniform or anything. Save that for TATC night ;)    

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

MLB has had that problem when it comes to alternates, due to the unique way its traditional uniform system works. Ultimately? It's best to just have one alternate with your team name on it, and who cares if that means you occasionally wear your team name on the road?

Some teams overthink it though, and double up with home and road versions. The Mets were the worst, where they went so far as to colour the "New York" text on their road alternates grey to match the pants. Sometimes teams need to take a step back and understand less is more.

Hmm.  While I have a "thing" against coloured jerseys, for me the Mets are the team that looks best in them, in part because of the distinction between the road blue jersey and home blue jersey, a trait which mitigates the inherent unappealingness of coloured jerseys.

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Political whiteness is a fascinating topic for me, from both a historical and ethnographic perspective. It ties nicely into topics of assimilation and reactions to various immigrant movements in relation to real-world conflicts and other events. 

But back to the Cleveland AL Baseball Club. Is it bad that I kind of want to see racing stripes return for an alternate?

image.jpg

1. I am also very interested in the phenomenon of whiteness, particularlly as it has played out in relation to my own ethnic group.  When Italian migration to the U.S. began in earnest in the 1880s, we were most definitely not white. Indeed, the prospect of large-scale immigration of Italians and other southern Europeans, who were widely considered "unassimilable", caused a surge of interest in eugenics. The perception of Italians changed over the course of the 20th century; and the individual who played the most pivotal role is likely Joe DiMaggio. At the start of Joe D.'s Major League career in the mid-1930s, Italians were still a bit exotic; we were Latins. DiMaggio was as much admired by New York's Puerto Ricans as by its Italians; and New York City's Congressional delegation included the outspoken Rep. Vito Marcantonio of East Harlem, an Italian-American who considered Puerto Ricans as well as Italians to be part of his ethnic base.  By the end of DiMaggio's career in the early 1950s, Italians were firmly considered white; and the cultural norms of Italian-Americans had replaced the traditional embrace of Puerto Ricans and other Latins with an open hostility. We enthusiastically participated in the suburban "white flight" that created the self-fulfilling prophecy of the "decaying" urban area, and that affected baseball in terms of being the catalyst for stadiums built away from the urban core and surrounded by parking, the most dramatic expression of which was Milwaukee's County Stadium.

2. Yes, it is bad to want to see the return of the racing stripe.  However, a contrasting front number is always a lovely touch.

5 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

You're mostly left with the block they've gone with or something more ornate like they used before the wishbone C

Called it!

On 6/4/2019 at 3:30 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There are other C logos in the team's history that can be used as a basis for a cap insignia.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

My ideal Cleveland Spiders cap would be a navy crown with a red spider silhouette with a navy block C within it. 

And seeing as it would be an intentional throwback to a very old team name? Go all the way and design a alternate of a spider swinging a baseball bat ala the Beer Barrel Man or the Swinging Friar. Sort of “this is what they would have designed if the name had originally stuck around longer.” 

Spiders isn’t a dumb name, but there’s a lot of room to get unnecessarily ridiculous. No one needs dumb spider webs sublimated over the uniform or anything. Save that for TATC night ;)    

I'd be fine with that, as long as you can avoid the Richmond Spiders comparison.

And think of this, when the Spiders play the Diamondbacks, we can call it the "Phobia Series"!

If they had to do anything left in their historical arsenal, I'm a Big fan of the block C with white outline.

spacer.png

The outline makes the C appear smaller. Right now, the look is a bit bloated with an all red C. Making it flat vs. raised would help too. 

Without white, it's just a totally bland look 

spacer.png

The two tone helps a tad but would love some light grey or white to outline and make it pop. 

14 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'd be fine with that, as long as you can avoid the Richmond Spiders comparison.

There are only so many ways to put a spider on a baseball cap :P That said? My ideal view of the Cleveland Spiders would be to maintain the same general feel of the current "block C" look the Indians have. Both to maintain the sense of continuity to the previous identity through the name change and because I think the simple red on blue on red look without outlines have a certain "old time-y baseball charm." I'm also not picturing the hypothetical Cleveland Spiders' cap logo being slanted like the University of Richmond's baseball team. So a different overall design of the spider, lack of an outline, different orientation, and inclusion of a C would be enough to set them apart, I think.

18 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

And think of this, when the Spiders play the Diamondbacks, we can call it the "Phobia Series"!

I'll have you know I have a crippling fear of red socks.

Rubrimediophobia is no joke. It can be triggered by feet, legs, and the knowledge that the Irish were the real slaves.

Speaking of the spiders, the Richmond Spiders (a NCAA University) are not only named the spiders but use dark Navy and Red. Would it be weird for them to essentially copy an established University brand at this point?

I think I'm just generally a fan of white outline on a Navy crown. I think of the twins M and red Sox to name a few.

Either go block C or cursive I. But go two tone and have an white outline. Hat clubs custom I is one of my favorite wears 

spacer.png

Even though the cursive I had a small run, I still get people who know or rightfully assume the I stands for Indians. Their jersey wordmark for years is probably one clue that gets people knowing it is in fact a Indians cap. 

@SFGiants58 I feel if they can get a white outline on the buckeyes c, that's another unique option they can go with. 

The current C is uninspiring. 

This is so much better than the new navy jersey. Don't know why they changed. And the red jersey isn't needed at all.

cleveland-indians-baseball-2017-season-w