Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

VDizzle12

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

How about no? The “primitive cultures” font is almost as much of an issue as Wahoo was, IMO. Besides, it’s ugly ‘70s kitsch.

Just curious but why is it as much of an issue as Wahoo?

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Florida State contracts with the Seminole Nation in order to use their name and imagery.  Until Cleveland does that, they can’t even use a feather. 

I know this flirts with prohibited topics...but when you say "can't" (based on your later use of "problematic") am I correct that you mean this in a sense of "they would not get away with it" as opposed to something more binding?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

This was announced a while ago...I don't think they'll re-announce it but maybe.

2019-All-Star-Game-Patch-Mlb-Baseball-Cl

This might be the first time I've seen that patch/logo straight and not at an angle. The neck on that guitar is way too short.

AIL-78CFM.jpg

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I know this flirts with prohibited topics...but when you say "can't" (based on your later use of "problematic") am I correct that you mean this in a sense of "they would not get away with it" as opposed to something more binding?

At the very least, I mean it would cause more controversy.  Feathers are sacred objects in many nations.  Little Red Sambo was bad, but feathers aren’t necessarily much better. 

But more than that, I suspect MLB wouldn’t allow it.  They were the ones who finally forced Wahoo’s retirement; having done that, why would they willingly march right back into a minefield?

Back to aesthetics (and sorry mods, back on topic), I hate that “I” cap.  In context, in the wordmark, it’s okay.  But outside of that, it’s more a “J” than anything.  And it’s ugly.  The block “C” is so much better. 

11 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm hoping for a red alternate, C hats with red and navy brims added to the mix, red batting helmet and some sort of new logo to put on the sleeves. Chances are they are just going to slap the C logo on there. Which is fine, but they could easily come up with something else. A more respectable chief head like Florida State, something with a C + feather, the C logo in a roundel. Lots of options, but I'd assume if they were coming out with a new alt logo we would have seen it by now.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

How about no? The “primitive cultures” font is almost as much of an issue as Wahoo was, IMO. Besides, it’s ugly ‘70s kitsch.

I grew up with what at the time was called the "Greek" C and lettering of the 1970's.  I have one of those caps and wear it fairly regularly.  I have no problem with Wahoo's disappearance, but I would like to see one tweak above all others:  putting a thin, white outline around the "C" they currently have on both caps.  Just enough to separate the red from blue.  That's all it would take for me to retire the Greek and come on board with the new look.

But blow up the identity entirely and go with a purple, black and orange "Cleveland Spiders" rebrand?  And I'd MOVE BACK to the Cleveland area.  Well... maybe.

nav-logo.png

7 hours ago, jrodsep said:

Just curious but why is it as much of an issue as Wahoo?

To me, it's saying that "indians" write with sticks or are cavemen or something.  "Primitive" is right.  Not sure we should be classifying cultures as 'primitive' - especially in this case.

Is it as bad as Wahoo?  That's subjective, and my answer would be no, but it's still south of the acceptability line, which makes puts it off limits.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, tigerraven said:

Just modernize these into button downs.  Keep the font.  Put this "C" on the hat.

Cleveland-Indians-1977-Jersey-9-9-2017.jff_2470053alt2_full.jpg&w=6001976-Cleveland-Indians-25-Buddy-Bell-Gamff_2731846_full.jpg&w=600

Absolutely right. This is the best look the team has ever had.

The idea that this font is somehow "primitive" is so wrong that the critique seems like some sort of parody. In fact this font evokes woodcarving. It is a perfect way to alude to a practice associated with Native Americans, without appropriating any imagery that Natives believe to be sacred. If the "Indians" nickname is going to be retained, then this is the font that fits it best.

What's more, the font produces a cap logo that is bold and timeless, the farthest thing from kitsch. If this cap logo had been left in place since its introduction, it would today be considered as untouchable as the Tigers' D logo. Indeed, the cap logo is so strong that it stands on its own, and could be used even with a standard script wordmark. Now is a perfect time to rectify the error of ever having moved away from this beautiful cap logo. 

But, really, anything would qualify as an improvement over the block C, which looks like it was selected (in a hurry) out of the catalogue that sits on the counter of your local sports shop. A letter C that is stlysed in some way — in any way! — would constitute an upgrade. For a beer league softball team, the block C cap logo would be uninspired; for a Major League Baseball team it is an embarrassment.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'm guessing they will still be in competition with Arizona for worst unis in mlb.

Wait... really? I thought they had a top 5 set in baseball. Is that an unpopular opinion?

efTZwEx.jpg

vRtv5pO.jpg

14 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Wait... really? I thought they had a top 5 set in baseball. Is that an unpopular opinion?

Yes. In a league with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, A’s, Royals, Blue Jays, Mariners, Cardinals and Pirates (whenthey actually wear their primary uniforms) there’s no way that Clelevand is top 5. 

Though I disagree with the idea that they’re competing for worst in the league. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

19 hours ago, Trapper John said:

Yeah, is that "C" hated?  At least it's unique unlike that crappy block C now... 

I hate it more than Block C. It didn't help the teams in the 1970s were pretty bad. Why do you think nickel beer night happened?

8 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'm guessing they will still be in competition with Arizona for worst unis in mlb.

No one's close to that mess.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived