Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019

VDizzle12

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think that they can use just a C as a logo and make it work, but the current C isnt it

I fear they want to make the Caveman C the new logo. It's improvement, as much ass Tampa Bay's NFL Color Rush jersey is better than their regular jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think that they can use just a C as a logo and make it work, but the current C isnt it

chief

wahoo

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

chief

Hide contents

wahoo

Even Wahoo wasn’t an acceptable primary. Did you see how poorly-rendered he was compared to other cartoon logos (e.g., the Orioles’ bird, most modernized college mascot designs, the Skating Penguin, etc.)? Granted, the previous variant looked worse:

720.png

Oof. At least the designer of Wahoo (Wally Goldbach) tried to redesign the team in a more appropriate fashion right before he died.

34447597_635333533492627_893144468599865

Yeah, it didn't have much going for it beyond sentimental value. I don't feel its loss. I was just making a "this ain't it chief" joke.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Can we stop saying "block script"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It’s a handwriting style. Practically every definition segregates it from print or machine type. 

noun

the letters or characters used in writing by hand; handwriting, especiallycursive writing.

handwriting as distinct from print; written characters.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I’d love to see them do something with a feather and a C, but it may be too late for them to go back to any native imagery at this point.

Something like this WIP of mine would be ideal, IMO:

Agreed, it's recognizable and it's not just a block C with no life to it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

34447597_635333533492627_893144468599865

Ah yes, the Cleveland 9ndians

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, MJWalker45 said:

This is 100 times better than the block C and would satisfy most pro wahoo and anti wahoo people at the same time.  This would be a good direction. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I like this design a lot, and I'd like our uniforms to be closer to that 1948 look the cap is based on. However, this wouldn't work.

1) Native imagery is likely to be avoided altogether. They will be playing with fire to even use feathers IMO.

2) The wishbone C doesn't work for a new logo, people know what teams they associate it with at this point.

3) The feather crossing the wishbone C in navy, red, and white is WAY too close to the Twins unfortunately.

I don't hate the block C as much as most. I will admit it doesn't look good as a sleeve logo. But I think it looks perfectly fine on a hat. It gets the job done. I don't think we have to reinvent the wheel here.

T1oYViW.png

On 5/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, BellaSpurs said:

That sketched logo looks like an E, the accompanying script looks like Gndians

Well, we look like the Jndians now... I don't know if we're getting closer or farther with Gndians.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, -Akronite- said:

I like this design a lot, and I'd like our uniforms to be closer to that 1948 look the cap is based on. However, this wouldn't work.

1) Native imagery is likely to be avoided altogether. They will be playing with fire to even use feathers IMO.

2) The wishbone C doesn't work for a new logo, people know what teams they associate it with at this point.

3) The feather crossing the wishbone C in navy, red, and white is WAY too close to the Twins unfortunately.

Hi, actual real life person with Native heritage who has spent time immersed in NA culture on reservations. I'm not going to turn this into a whole debate, but from where I'm standing, a block C with feathers attached to the top back of the letter would be fine (making them accents, not the focal point). There will always be some who will criticize anything as cultural appropriation, but the majority would be fine with it. I even know a lot of Native peoples who would likely buy that cap and wear it, without ever following the team.

The plain block C does feel a bit like an (understandable) overcorrection. I hope they figure out some way to punch up what is currently a very uninspired brand decision.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

21 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Hi, actual real life person with Native heritage who has spent time immersed in NA culture on reservations. I'm not going to turn this into a whole debate, but from where I'm standing, a block C with feathers attached to the top back of the letter would be fine (making them accents, not the focal point). There will always be some who will criticize anything as cultural appropriation, but the majority would be fine with it. I even know a lot of Native peoples who would likely buy that cap and wear it, without ever following the team.

The plain block C does feel a bit like an (understandable) overcorrection. I hope they figure out some way to punch up what is currently a very uninspired brand decision.

As someone that wishes they'd change the name completely, I don't disagree with your assessment, even though I kinda hope they avoid that route. If they went with feathers it might be better looking than what they're currently doing and probably not offend/up the offense for people.

Archived