Jump to content

Cleveland Indians Unveil New Uniform, Cap for 2019


VDizzle12
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think that they can use just a C as a logo and make it work, but the current C isnt it

I fear they want to make the Caveman C the new logo. It's improvement, as much ass Tampa Bay's NFL Color Rush jersey is better than their regular jerseys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

chief

 

  Hide contents

wahoo

 

 

Even Wahoo wasn’t an acceptable primary. Did you see how poorly-rendered he was compared to other cartoon logos (e.g., the Orioles’ bird, most modernized college mascot designs, the Skating Penguin, etc.)? Granted, the previous variant looked worse:

 

720.png

 

Oof. At least the designer of Wahoo (Wally Goldbach) tried to redesign the team in a more appropriate fashion right before he died.

 

34447597_635333533492627_893144468599865

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a handwriting style. Practically every definition segregates it from print or machine type. 

 

noun

the letters or characters used in writing by hand; handwriting, especiallycursive writing.
 
1. 
handwriting as distinct from print; written characters.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I’d love to see them do something with a feather and a C, but it may be too late for them to go back to any native imagery at this point.

 

Something like this WIP of mine would be ideal, IMO:

 

Agreed, it's recognizable and it's not just a block C with no life to it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Agreed, it's recognizable and it's not just a block C with no life to it. 

This is 100 times better than the block C and would satisfy most pro wahoo and anti wahoo people at the same time.  This would be a good direction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Agreed, it's recognizable and it's not just a block C with no life to it. 

 

I like this design a lot, and I'd like our uniforms to be closer to that 1948 look the cap is based on. However, this wouldn't work.

 

1) Native imagery is likely to be avoided altogether. They will be playing with fire to even use feathers IMO.

2) The wishbone C doesn't work for a new logo, people know what teams they associate it with at this point.

3) The feather crossing the wishbone C in navy, red, and white is WAY too close to the Twins unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't hate the block C as much as most. I will admit it doesn't look good as a sleeve logo. But I think it looks perfectly fine on a hat. It gets the job done. I don't think we have to reinvent the wheel here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, BellaSpurs said:

That sketched logo looks like an E, the accompanying script looks like Gndians

 

Well, we look like the Jndians now... I don't know if we're getting closer or farther with Gndians.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, -Akronite- said:

 

I like this design a lot, and I'd like our uniforms to be closer to that 1948 look the cap is based on. However, this wouldn't work.

 

1) Native imagery is likely to be avoided altogether. They will be playing with fire to even use feathers IMO.

2) The wishbone C doesn't work for a new logo, people know what teams they associate it with at this point.

3) The feather crossing the wishbone C in navy, red, and white is WAY too close to the Twins unfortunately.

Hi, actual real life person with Native heritage who has spent time immersed in NA culture on reservations. I'm not going to turn this into a whole debate, but from where I'm standing, a block C with feathers attached to the top back of the letter would be fine (making them accents, not the focal point). There will always be some who will criticize anything as cultural appropriation, but the majority would be fine with it. I even know a lot of Native peoples who would likely buy that cap and wear it, without ever following the team.

The plain block C does feel a bit like an (understandable) overcorrection. I hope they figure out some way to punch up what is currently a very uninspired brand decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Hi, actual real life person with Native heritage who has spent time immersed in NA culture on reservations. I'm not going to turn this into a whole debate, but from where I'm standing, a block C with feathers attached to the top back of the letter would be fine (making them accents, not the focal point). There will always be some who will criticize anything as cultural appropriation, but the majority would be fine with it. I even know a lot of Native peoples who would likely buy that cap and wear it, without ever following the team.

 The plain block C does feel a bit like an (understandable) overcorrection. I hope they figure out some way to punch up what is currently a very uninspired brand decision.

 

As someone that wishes they'd change the name completely, I don't disagree with your assessment, even though I kinda hope they avoid that route. If they went with feathers it might be better looking than what they're currently doing and probably not offend/up the offense for people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.