Miami Marlins Rebrand - Logos

DonWarren

Another Miami Marlins rebrand thread...

I'll start by saying I'm not the biggest fan of the new logo in general and I was just getting used to their "look" after years of warming up to it. Any way, this lead me to create my version of some Miami Marlins logos. I'm not too sure how far I'm going to take this project as it was just purely fun for me to lay these out but I thought I'd get some criticism and feedback on where I'm at so far. 

The colors used are a mix of the old teal, and the now old orange..I doubt they're exact but inspired by anyway. The way I have these presented is in no particular order or hierarchy. They still need some refinement of course and I want to go back and explore more dynamic typography options although I don't mind the clean, bold look. 

Let me know what you think!

3GQukxd.png

Your marlin is gorgeous.

My criticisms:

1) I'd change the orange to the new red, or even a pink.

2) You have an awesome "M" in your marlin/M logo. Why not develop the "MIAMI" and the "MARLINS" wordmark from that "M"?

3) The logo with the bats is unnecessary. Very nice, but unnecessary.

I want to see uniforms!

You've got an absolutely amazing start here.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

The pose and detail of your marlin is exactly the direction the club should have gone in real life. I could go with or without the splashes of orange but either way, it looks nice since it’s rendered more realistically than the new logo as well as the recently replaced toothpaste logo.

You should thicken the outlines around the letters or eliminate a few outlines altogether. Those thin lines add nothing and complicate the composition, particularly the M.

another idea:

What if you rotated the marlin slightly left so the dorsal fin is perfectly centered between the bats? (right now it’s to closer to the right bat.)

Out of the three Marlins identities in real life, their first is the only one that’s palatable, and what you’ve done would be a nice update of that. 

i think you have a really nice foundation here. i would focus on making the strongest marks stronger— the lone marlin and the Miami wordmark. i think if you simplify everything it will be  better, certainly it would from a production standpoint. i roughly painted a marlin that has a more interesting silhouette and a bit more "flow" through its body. 

with the type, those little lines are just too small and close to each other. they're not really needed anyway. you especially want to keep those things from crashing into each other at tight points/corners. again, nice foundation of work here. just try focus on making them better logos that will produce well. it helps me to work at a size where the logos are about 3 inches tall. if you can make it work well there, then you can go in closer and tighten everything up.  

VmDzYHS.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

@stumpygremlin 

Thanks for the kind words and criticism. Attached is a pink with the teal...would take some getting used to. Also, which I'm partial to, is the ALL teal/white/grey version that would be a direct update from the original. 

@coco1997

Thanks, I love the symmetry of this one. 

@jaha32

I agree...the Marlins should've stuck with the detail similar to the original and my versions. Check out the all teal I've attached. I too wasn't sure of the orange but it made sense to me to incorporate another color. I'm going to ditch this type treatment all together most likely and play off of the script M logo as suggested. I see what you're saying about the dorsal fin being slightly off center, but the tail is almost right down the middle. I'm liking the bat logo and how it's presented a lot but will definitely rotate to see what that might do.

bjTHRpH.png

8 minutes ago, DonWarren said:

@stumpygremlin 

Thanks for the kind words and criticism. Attached is a pink with the teal...would take some getting used to. Also, which I'm partial to, is the ALL teal/white/grey version that would be a direct update from the original. 

@coco1997

Thanks, I love the symmetry of this one. 

@jaha32

I agree...the Marlins should've stuck with the detail similar to the original and my versions. Check out the all teal I've attached. I too wasn't sure of the orange but it made sense to me to incorporate another color. I'm going to ditch this type treatment all together most likely and play off of the script M logo as suggested. I see what you're saying about the dorsal fin being slightly off center, but the tail is almost right down the middle. I'm liking the bat logo and how it's presented a lot but will definitely rotate to see what that might do.

bjTHRpH.png

I'm in love with both of these color options!

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, DonWarren said:

@BrandMooreArt

Would need some tweaking of course, but I don't hate it!

RX1fMcN.png

thats looking pretty good, mate. you can make another pass or two over it to refine it more and id probably try to get the fish to “bend” rather than “fold” but i think youve done a good job here with it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 4 weeks later...

Archived