Instant Classic (Uniform Disaster)

DeFrank

10 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Honestly, I wonder how true this would be for me. I feel like all-white is like any other mono set where there's a better option and the mono option is acceptable at best. The Chiefs are the perfect example for this. All-red and all-white both work just fine but are inferior to red-white or white-red.

All white also always has contrasting socks (even if they're white with stripes) and avoids the leggings look. Which could be a reason why it's almost always acceptable other than tradition and "because".

The Panthers are a perfect example. When they go all black with blue socks I'm like "That's a cool look once or twice per year" and then when they wore it with black socks last week I thought "Guess we have to burn the black pants now since they can't be trusted."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, VikWings said:

All white also always has contrasting socks (even if they're white with stripes) and avoids the leggings look. Which could be a reason why it's almost always acceptable other than tradition and "because".

The Panthers are a perfect example. When they go all black with blue socks I'm like "That's a cool look once or twice per year" and then when they wore it with black socks last week I thought "Guess we have to burn the black pants now since they can't be trusted."

I would be totally cool with the Panthers wearing black-on-black with blue socks full-time. But only with blue socks. I just don't get why the leotard look has gotten so prevalent.

22 hours ago, BelfourThibault said:

I'm honestly shocked at the amount of love those highlighters are getting. Calling for them to be made the primary?! That to me is even worse than the geniuses who decided that the Edmonton Oilers looked better in orange than royal. Taste is subjective, I suppose...

I think the love for the yellow may have something to do with the fact that the Rams have looked so dull in recent years.  The Rams have a history that includes athletic gold and this is a modern take on that history.  The NFL can survive with one less blue team.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 11/21/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mitch B said:

I think the love for the yellow may have something to do with the fact that the Rams have looked so dull in recent years.  The Rams have a history that includes athletic gold and this is a modern take on that history.  The NFL can survive with one less blue team.

They look dull and ridiculous because they’re trying to take elements from 3 eras and make them work in concert. I was a die-hard fan of the St. Louis Rams, and I never really liked the 2000 change, so I agree on them being dull or drab. But the Rams are beautiful in blue and yellow...with blue being the primary. Yeah, there are a lot of blue teams in the NFL, but the traditional blue and yellow screams “Rams”. They own it. I can respect the opinions on the highlighter uniforms, but I disagree. 

On 11/20/2018 at 2:23 PM, DeFrank said:

Image result for rams chiefs instant classic

The Rams-Chiefs game from November 2018 will be remembered as one of the regular season's all-time greats. That being said, the Rams were outfitted in their gaudy color rush uniforms. To me, gold pants and socks made this an ugly, ugly game. The lighting didn't help either. Washed-out photos actually make the head-to-toe gold pretty cool, but that's not the reality of the situation. 

What are some other iconic sports moments that have been marred (in our uni-centric minds) by bad alternates or other unfortunate visual issues?

So my biggest gripe with Color Rush uniforms, is that they go away from white bottomed socks. (which for my personal nostalgia i believe should stay mandatory for every uniform)

I didn't really realize that the Rams utilized white bottoms on their socks, and that makes the look so much better to me. 

Archived