Sun League - A Floridian Baseball Branding Project

raysox

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm more than a little hyped for this! This theme is right in your sweet spot too, know you'll hit it out of the park, nyuk nyuk blah. Love dem mellow vibes too, perfect for Florida, and that font really helps set the tone. Followed.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I reserved the right to be cryptic about a concept series, right?

Every year I go to the NASCAR race at Homestead-Miami Speedway, and the exit we use to get there passes right by an unused spring training facility. The city of Homestead built an entirely new ballpark and field for the Indians to move there, only to be damaged by Hurricane Andrew causing the Indians to move elsewhere. Florida is covered with old minor league and spring training stadiums. Enough to make a league out of.

This is going to be an Out of the Park sim league. This will be a mix of minor league baseball fun, the Senior Professional Baseball Association, and my old Continental Baseball League. The CBL was a sim league I ran, where I took free agent MLB players, drafted teams, and posted the results. I'm still looking at the logistics of doing this. It will involve manually drafting free agents to the teams, some tricky contract settings. The tests I ran last year lead to players getting scooped by MLB teams before the season began. It should work better after the changes I'm thinking of making!

But first I need some brands. I had a few names kicking around. The logic puzzle of connecting a town to a team name to a unique brand was so much fun. I'm going to get weird with it all. I took to twitter asking for random team names and got some great results. This is the first.

Sun League team 1 of 10: Cocoa  Beach ChocoSox

Choco-Sox-01.png

Choco-Sox-Uniforms-01.png

.... alright then!

Ft Lauderdale is known for it's beaches obviously, but I wanted to branch out and look elsewhere for their team. Ft. Lauderdale is on Florida East Coast Railway that Henry Flagler built and boosted the entire east coast of the state. I thought of a few railroad terms that could be flipped into a brand, Spikes seemed like a good choice. I googled animals with spikes for imagery and KNEW what I had to do.

Sun League team 2 of 10: Ft. Lauderdale Spikes

Spikes-01.png

Spikes-Uniforms-01.png

This is so Brandiose it hurts. That said, your teams are better. That ChocoSox script is a thing of beauty, I tell ya. Clever use of Spikes/dinosaurs, and I'd probably buy one of those caps. Great work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

This is like if Brandiose had a pause button.  Instead of minor league baseballing things to death... the stegosaurus still resembles a stegosaurus and isn’t swinging a chunk of railroad track like it’s a bat.  And the Choco Sox isn’s a smiling candy bar wearing oversized socks.  Good clean work that’s still fun and intriguing.  Can’t wait to see more!

4 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

Really like the Spikes logo and script. Instead of the stegasaurus head, I think that a secondary logo involving the tail spikes could be cool and work better.

Spikes-04.png

I did this Monday night, put it down, and really didn't like it enough to move forward with it

18 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I have no idea what the hell a “Choco Sox” is but I love those uniforms.

The Spikes look great, too. Big fan of the double green.

It was suggested literally because the team is from Cocoa Beach and Sox is a pretty uniquely baseball name.  That's basically it!

Also everyone be nice, i love Brandiose so much haha. I wish i had their job.

Moving on!

Text-HOME.jpg

5 hours ago, Whittier S said:

The full-body stegosaurus is fantastic and it would be great to see it appear in the uniforms. I don't understand what is going on with the heel of the sock.

I think this next one w as one of the first team names I thought of. Homestead has a baseball complex, a Speedway, an Air Force Reserve base, and some spooky rocks. I was going through some Air Force terms trying to hone in on some obscure saying that could be made into a team name. I thought of how funny I think the term "Fly Boy" is for old timey pilots. Then it evolved in my head to a fly bug with goggles and a scarf. Then I realized a house fly would be a great mascot for the Homestead Fly Boys. I took an artistic take to make it look like the outlined body like the Eugene Emeralds, so forgive me that it's not too detailed but it looks DOPE on a cap.

Sun League team 3 of 10: Homestead Fly Boys

Fly-Boys-04.png

Homestead-Uniforms-01.png

That's all I have done for now and probably won't do anything else today. I have ideas in my head for four of the remaining ones, one team I'm reviving, then two I haven't thought of a brand for, although they might have two of the best names in the whole thing. Happy Thanksgiving!

All really good stuff here and I like the unique team names, but for the Spikes I’d change the perspective on the railroad tracks and flatten the tracks downward if that makes sense. Since they’re laid upright right now, I thought it was a fence at first glance. You could also extend each individual wooden piece beyond the rail so it doesn’t look like a ladder.

Archived