Atlantic Schooners Announced as Name of New CFL Team

SportsLogos.Net News

Halifax CFL Team Set to Announce Name

November 22, 2018 - 16:21 PM

Tomorrow night the potential future Halifax-based Canadian Football League team will have a name. Maritime Football Limited Partnership, the group pursuing the franchise, announced they will unveil it during a Grey Cup event in Edmonton at 6 pm Mountain Time (or […]

Read More...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they should start by announcing they have money and will build a stadium? 

Sorry, that's troll-ish. I just am incredibly skeptical. I have a feeling this will be the second version of the Schooners that will announce a name and will never come to be. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, RyanB06 said:

So, wait: this is actually happening this time?

Not really. It's being done in a very unorthodox way in that they are naming the team before even being granted a conditional expansion franchise (unless that's being announced tomorrow too). And if they can't secure stadium financing and can't get it built, there will be no team (just like what happened in the 1980s).

11 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Maybe they should start by announcing they have money and will build a stadium? 

Sorry, that's troll-ish. I just am incredibly skeptical. I have a feeling this will be the second version of the Schooners that will announce a name and will never come to be. 

Name checks out

13 hours ago, jn8 said:

Name checks out

if you look any anything else I post you'll find it's actually not the case.....I've been around these boards for over 10 years and it was a nickname based on an inside joke at that time. 

I'd say I'm not negative on this so much as I'm skeptical on this, and I believe it's for good reason, because the people who are trying to make it happen have no plans on contributing financially to the cost of building a stadium. OR, if they do, they have not stated the intention to do so which is puzzling to me.

I think that's a fair concern. 

47 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

If the franchise is identified as "Atlantic" instead of Halifax or Nova Scotia, I'm going to vomit. Hate seeing our treasured CFL being dumbed down by bushleague marketing.

Oh, It's going to be Atlantic. Look at the trademarks they've put in and the websites they have bought. They're all Atlantic _____. 

Honestly, I think Nova Scotia would be best, but again, I'm not really worried as I don't think this goes past giving the team a name. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

if you look any anything else I post you'll find it's actually not the case.....I've been around these boards for over 10 years and it was a nickname based on an inside joke at that time. 

I'd say I'm not negative on this so much as I'm skeptical on this, and I believe it's for good reason, because the people who are trying to make it happen have no plans on contributing financially to the cost of building a stadium. OR, if they do, they have not stated the intention to do so which is puzzling to me.

I think that's a fair concern. 

Just having some good natured fun, meant nothing bad by it. The coincidence was just too good.

For what it’s worth, I do agree with the point you’re making. This shouldn’t be taken TOO seriously until there’s actual evidence of solid financial backing 

13 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Just having some good natured fun, meant nothing bad by it. The coincidence was just too good.

For what it’s worth, I do agree with the point you’re making. This shouldn’t be taken TOO seriously until there’s actual evidence of solid financial backing 

You know what bugs me the most about it? (and here's where I'm being negative to a point) These guys are successful businessmen. They have money. This shouldn't be an issue. 

57 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

You know what bugs me the most about it? (and here's where I'm being negative to a point) These guys are successful businessmen. They have money. This shouldn't be an issue. 

How much money do they really have though?  If LeBlanc had any real money, he might still be the owner of the Coyotes.  I don't know about the other guy.  I'm with you that I don't trust LeBlanc.  Even if they had money, they still would be looking for the government to build their stadium for them.  The Calgary Flames are owned by billionaires, but still want the city to pay up.

10 minutes ago, M4One said:

How much money do they really have though?  If LeBlanc had any real money, he might still be the owner of the Coyotes.  I don't know about the other guy.  I'm with you that I don't trust LeBlanc.  Even if they had money, they still would be looking for the government to build their stadium for them.  The Calgary Flames are owned by billionaires, but still want the city to pay up.

Very fair point. 

Then again, if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't want to be involved with the Coyotes. That's just a money pit.  

The other guy is the AMJ Campbell owner (I believe) but yeah, I don't know how much he's worth either. 

I guess I think of it this way: what's the difference between these guys and me and my best buddy saying we're going to have a team? (obviously connections and perceived value but you know what I mean.) I mean, I'd also put no money into building a stadium because I don't have that coin.

Yeah....Calgary need to just build their own :censored:. The city doesn't want to pay for it, we saw that with the recent vote pertaining to the Olympics (and so it should be). 

Archived