Color on Color Matchups in Football

What are some of the most recent or the best color on color matchups you have seen in sports? 

One specific matchup I would love to see is Kentucky vs. Tennessee in football where both teams wore their home uniforms. Personally, I just love the 2 colors together and think a color on color game would look amazing with the complementary blue and orange. Sadly, I don't know if anyone else wants this to happen or if it is even legal.

6_4869886.jpg

6_5123110.jpg

You can't tell me that wouldn't be a great looking game.

Obviously, the NBA has many of these games as well as soccer and to a lesser extent baseball, and I am not knowledgeable about hockey much, so maybe stick to football for this thread, both for college and pro. 

I want to see more of these games!

BYU and Utah have gone Blue vs. Red the past decade(ish)? And, I absolutely love it. UCLA and USC usually do it, which is another great matchup.

6fac3e9682?resize=width_1200&order=resiz uscvucal.jpg?fit=1600,936

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I do wish that the NFL did more Color vs. Color. Sure, that was the idea behind the Color Rush crap. But, I'd love to see Color vs. Color matchups in non-monochrome jerseys perhaps within a division? Like Denver (orange) vs. Chargers (baby blue), Cincinnati (orange) vs. Pittsburgh (black), Carolina (teal) vs. Atlanta (red), etc., etc., etc. 

Just don't do it in the Color Rush templates that's all I ask.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 minutes ago, kimball said:

I do wish that the NFL did more Color vs. Color. Sure, that was the idea behind the Color Rush crap. But, I'd love to see Color vs. Color matchups in non-monochrome jerseys perhaps within a division? Like Denver (orange) vs. Chargers (baby blue), Cincinnati (orange) vs. Pittsburgh (black), Carolina (teal) vs. Atlanta (red), etc., etc., etc. 

Just don't do it in the Color Rush templates that's all I ask.

The Color Rush was a bit overboard for me as well. The monochrome everything just looked poor at times. If genuine color vs. color matchups happened, it would absolutely make the league more visually interesting. A Broncos and Chargers version of this would look absolutely stunning.

11 minutes ago, kimball said:

BYU and Utah have gone Blue vs. Red the past decade(ish)? And, I absolutely love it. UCLA and USC usually do it, which is another great matchup.

6fac3e9682?resize=width_1200&order=resiz uscvucal.jpg?fit=1600,936

Both of these matchups are beautiful. Plus, there is enough contrast to clearly identify each team as well, so I don't see why it doesn't happen more.

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There is no such thing as a "good" colour-vs.-colour match-up. They are all terrible.

1) LOL.

2) Do you mean in football or sports in general? Because would you argue the Lakers never had a good looking matchup at home until they introduced a white jersey?

Auburn has had two color-on-color games in recent years.

2011 Chick-fil-a Bowl vs Virginia

auburnpic01_t1170.jpg

2012 Chick-fil-a Kickoff Game vs Clemson

tre-mason-ncaa-football-chick-fil-a-kick

Unfortunately both were blue-vs-orange, but still fun nonetheless.

I have been wanting to see Auburn and Alabama go color-on-color for years now. It hasn't happened since 1963, sadly.

Dst1LsZWwAIg6V3.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

In a perfect sports world I would want to see color vs color as the standard, with only the white jersey being used if there isn't enough contrast. White jerseys are just boring to me. The colored variation is how a team WANTS to look, white jerseys are how they sometimes HAVE to look out of necessity 

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:
11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There is no such thing as a "good" colour-vs.-colour match-up. They are all terrible.

1) LOL.

2) Do you mean in football or sports in general? Because would you argue the Lakers never had a good looking matchup at home until they introduced a white jersey?

I mean sports in general, allowing for the Lakers as an exception.  I hate to see colour-vs.-colour in football, basketball, and (most of all) baseball. I honestly believe that it shouldn't be allowed.  (In the thread about being ruler of all sports, I required that one team wear white in all of these sports, with the acknowledged exception of the Lakers.)

In soccer, both teams wearing colours is traditional; but I still think it looks cheesy.  Whenever I see a Spurs home match, I cannot help but note how good it looks when one team is in white; and I wish that all games looked like that.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I mean sports in general, allowing for the Lakers as an exception.  I hate to see colour-vs.-colour in football, basketball, and (most of all) baseball. I honestly believe that it shouldn't be allowed.  (In the thread about being ruler of all sports, I required that one team wear white in all of these sports, with the acknowledged exception of the Lakers.)

I’m with you on baseball. I don’t mind some of the secondary jerseys, but they shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs, especially the World Series at all. And, as far as basketball goes, I love contrasting color vs. color games, but I really hate how NBA Nike has had more teams wearing white on the road. I’ll always associate white jerseys with home jerseys. 

kimball banner.png

I’m definitely in the “color vs color unless you need to go white because of a clash” camp, with the obvious exception of baseball. This is how I do things in Madden, 2K, and the NHL games.

However, in that system, teams would be able to choose their first, second, and third choice uniforms. So, the Cowboys and NHL Jets, for example, could choose to wear white as their first choice. If team colors are only color-white (like the Colts or Maple Leafs), then they would only have two uniforms instead of three.

ExJworW.png

5 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I’m definitely in the “color vs color unless you need to go white because of a clash” camp, with the obvious exception of baseball. This is how I do things in Madden, 2K, and the NHL games.

However, in that system, teams would be able to choose their first, second, and third choice uniforms. So, the Cowboys and NHL Jets, for example, could choose to wear white as their first choice. If team colors are only color-white (like the Colts or Maple Leafs), then they would only have two uniforms instead of three.

This, though I don't see why baseball is exempted. I think the home team get first choice.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Color on color wouldn't really work well in the NHL because it would require teams on multi-game road trips to travel with multiple sets of gear to avoid clashes. That was the main reason that they went to color at home in the first place, so teams could wear their color 3rd jerseys at home against road teams that would already have their road whites on hand.  The only way I could really see it working would be for the road team to dictate what color they would be wearing and for the home team, who would already have all their available uniform options on hand, to change to match them if there's a clash. 

3 hours ago, Echo said:

Color on color wouldn't really work well in the NHL because it would require teams on multi-game road trips to travel with multiple sets of gear to avoid clashes. That was the main reason that they went to color at home in the first place, so teams could wear their color 3rd jerseys at home against road teams that would already have their road whites on hand.  The only way I could really see it working would be for the road team to dictate what color they would be wearing and for the home team, who would already have all their available uniform options on hand, to change to match them if there's a clash. 

NO . . I disagree vehemently.

When the NHL went to the pre-1970/'71 system in 2003/'04 of wearing colored uni's at home it was only supposed to be for that one season . . When then didn't revert back the following 2004/'05 season a majority of NHL fans were none too pleased. Unlike 1970/'71 when the Canucks and Sabres entered, there are now a large contingent of western teams. I just don't see that being an issue as long as teams get advanced notice. It doesn't seem to be an issue in the NBA, especially since NIKE took over last season and you can't tell who's the home and away NBA team anymore. That NBA has gone really drastic, yet their team apparel sales have skyrocketed. Sports leagues just love the almighty $$$$.

Color on Color never was an issue back when the LA Kings wore yellow at home rather than white.  Myself, I still prefer color vs white (or yellow if Nashville were to choose that if the NHL reverts back)

The NHL really should go back to the home team wearing their white (or yellow) themed uni's as their home uniforms IMO. Hockey fans have long been clamoring for the NHL to revert back so that they could enjoy seeing a different color for all the 41 home game opponents.

Growing up in Buffalo I used to love seeing different colors for the away team each home game at the Aud, most notably when the Los Angeles Kings came to town and skated out in those majestic looking purple unforms, and the Minnesota North Stars with their kelly green w/ yellow trim, and at that time the Pens with their powder blues.

How hard could it be to always have both home and away team apparel and equipment kept on the team plane anyway?  It's not like they're flying non-charters. 

Kannegiesser_Sheldon.jpg

These LA Kings 👆 purple (forum-blue according to Jack Kent-Cooke) away uniforms looked even more incredible when you actually saw them in person.

* Pre-1970-'71, LA Kings fans would see their home purple for all 41 home games at the Forum, opposite white themed for opponents like present days. The following season all home teams went to their white uniform sets for all home games, so fans would see a different colored opponent each game, it was great .. until 2003 that is.

* LA Kings wore yellow, not white, as their home uni in those pre 1970/'71 seasons

Toronto at 👇🏼 LA Kings (1969/'70 season)

000028171.jpg

LA Kings at Toronto 👇🏼 (1969/'70 season)

000027328.jpg

* Okay back to the subject at hand of color v color in FOOTBALL .. 

On 11/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, ScubaSteve said:

In a perfect sports world I would want to see color vs color as the standard, with only the white jersey being used if there isn't enough contrast. White jerseys are just boring to me. The colored variation is how a team WANTS to look, white jerseys are how they sometimes HAVE to look out of necessity 

Not always. 

This is hockey, and not football, but you mentioned “sports” in a general sense, so I think it’s ok. 

Anyway I would say the Maple Leafs, Red Wings, and Jets’ white sweaters are, or should be, their “default” look. 

Archived