Uniforms With Different Colored Helmets, Jerseys and Pants

Eichs15

Let's throw soccer's hat in the ring (in their case, shirt-shorts-socks), starting with Man U

manchesterunited.jpg?w968

Brazil

1525653603_ap18118226649362-small.jpg

Portsmouth

Large

Mexico

f91a3a90d1764b4e37a990b0be71fbe1

France

Francia-USA-20180609-Pano006-min.jpg

Colombia

colombian-national-football-team-e136941

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, bluegrasswildcat said:

I love those Browns jerseys and absolutely despise they went away from them. I wouldn't say all uniforms with less than 3 elements of color are bad, but I will say I prefer at least 2 to monochrome. I think only football really has this opportunity though, because basketball only really has 2 parts, and baseball pants are always either white or grey. Not sure about hockey though.

I've only ever come across 2 in the NHL and both were terrible.

Boston Bruins 1995 (They switched to black helmets soon after.)

4bed6a0409b76261b51e6c966b41a324.jpg

LA Kings 2003 (Teams have gotten a lot better with throwbacks since then.)

dec-2003-trent-klatt-of-the-los-angeles-

I never knew the Bruins used white helmets with the Pooh Bear Jerseys...

But the Penguins also used yellow helmets, white jerseys, and black breezers in the early 80’s. Penguins18.png

And then the 2016 All Star Game in Los Angeles featured the Central division in White helmets, purple jerseys and black shells over the players regular breezers. 

AllStar17.png

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

A few of my all-time favorite football ones:

8527847070114367313.jpg

50a9a82882751849a931ccd6c554cc00.jpg

And though it definitely had its flaws and there’s changes I’d have made to it, I still love this one for the nostalgia:

jerryrice.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

And I hadn’t thought about soccer, but there’s definitely some great examples there. I love Brazil, France, and Mexico especially.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The best football uniforms have just two color “components” (A-B-A or A-A-B). Most of the uniforms above could be improved by following that pattern, though there are a few exceptions.

Across 30+ teams in a league, or 60+ college teams with a decent amount of history behind them, that would lead to a sea of sameness with little opportunity to set yourself apart. Three colors can absolutely work, and does for many teams. You just have to be smart and strategic about how you implement it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've seen the examples posted, and I stick to my earlier post that the only way it works is if the combo is:

A  A  A  A
W  B  B  W
B  W  G  G

where A and B are two colors, and G is gray.

Even then, it doesn't always work, but it only works if it's one of those.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've seen the examples posted, and I stick to my earlier post that the only way it works is if the combo is:

A  A  A
W  B  B
B  W  G

where A and B are two colors, and G is gray.

Even then, it doesn't always work, but it only works if it's one of those.

I would absolutely agree with this formula. As well as the clarification of it not always working though.

Team Canada, Nagano

0922hockey2-v6.jpg

Team Canada 1987

canada-cup-1987.jpg

Columbus Blue Jackets prospects in the Traverse City tournament

cut.png

North Bay Battalion, OHL

michael_baird.jpg

Czech Republic 

919180674-ice-hockey-winter-olympics-day

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That one just doesn't work for me.  The flat red jersey just looks too out of place up against the shiny metallic blue helmet, and the whole set just doesn't work as a cohesive uniform.  Maybe if there was some blue in the jersey it would be better.

screaming into void

16NIKMNFLGNTSBCKHAPTXX_is

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

In football, the CFL is awful for this

gmh107508947-jpg.jpg

montreal-alouettes-vs-calgary-stampeders

Ti-Cats_Hamilton-1040x572.jpg

Also surprised no one has mentioned the Steelers

1063226906.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Or the Pats yet.

gettyimages-1072252298-594x594.jpg

... and then there's the Bills

bledsoeteaguemia.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

you're just posting examples - not necessarily examples that work.

The Alouettes are a train wreck.  The Patriots are borderline - I give them a pass, but it's tough with a silver or gold helmet.  Proving that it's not consistent, I like U of W's and BC's gold lid - white jersey - dark pants look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Across 30+ teams in a league, or 60+ college teams with a decent amount of history behind them, that would lead to a sea of sameness with little opportunity to set yourself apart. Three colors can absolutely work, and does for many teams. You just have to be smart and strategic about how you implement it.

That’s what logos, unique fonts, stripes and tertiary colors are for.

That said, it’s pretty clear the only way this “works” is if one component is white (or, in some cases, light gray). I’d be curious if there are any examples that are truly three colors, rather than two colors and white or a neutral gray.

3 hours ago, nash61 said:

gettyimages-1072252298-594x594.jpg

I absolutely hate these Patriots jerseys because of the color balance. Not to mention the horrible piping. It’d look so much better with the silver pants.

That is one reason why I like the previous set much better.

11-1995-patriots_pg_600.jpg 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, Buc said:

Do "road uniforms" really count, though? Look it: the Rams example up above, the Steelers are another example. Some have pointed out the Giants. When they choose gray pants, there's also the Seattle Seahawks. Although I guess this is really kinda splitting hairs, as well...

...Anyway, this is the very first team I thought of when I saw the thread title:

usatsi_10376550.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

This is probably an unpopular opinion (I’ve only seen praise for it on here), but this uniform is absolutely terrible. Either make the helmet a different color, or add more white to the rest of the uniform. Generally speaking, a three-color pair doesn’t work for me if the lightest color is the helmet. For example, these Wyoming uniforms and the Titans when they would go white-navy-light blue (which was also a very bad look).

ExJworW.png

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This might belong in the unpopular opinions thread, but I like this uniform.  Along with these...

portlandbreakersjpg-177d639072b43896.jpg

Also, who remembers this?

art-schlichter-of-the-baltimore-colts-dr

If liking the Boston (and New Orleans and Portland) Breakers uniform is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Also, I remember the Colts with silver pants.  They were introduced just before they left Baltimore, along with silver middle stripes on the shoulder loops and pants (which were barely visible)

5bcfb3c3b6634eec02b0202d2bbfd9e0.jpg.bs-sp-catching-up-pagel-201309191982_Baltimore.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived