Tampa Bay Times Sports editorial: Save us from the Buccaneers’ hideous uniforms

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a whole big write-up prepared as a response for this thread, but since it was so long and this thread has already moved along far enough, I'll just speak in short.

- I liked the original Buccaneers uniform growing up. And that was before 1995. (I'm a Florida native; of course I'm attracted to bright colors!) 

- I LOVED the 1997 rebrand. Everything about it was so fresh and...different, for its time. Dark red and GRAY? And black cleats? Understand this all came at s time when virtually the entire league shod their feet in white, so in that vein, the Buccaneers were actually trendsetters. (Yeah, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were trendsetters--imagine that!). The whole set paired so well...indeed a neo-traditional* classic. And if they still wore them today (with shiny pants, of course), they'd still look every bit as good. (I have a lot more to say on this but I'll save it for another time.)

- On the topic of a new identity... I personally wanna see the creamsicle return--but not a straight replica of the originals (although that'd certainly suffice!) I've had some ideas sitting on the shelf for a while now... 🤔

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess I'll never truly understand the Buccaneers uniform and the way people in this thread are talking about Mike Alstott jerseys changing their lives. They're just grimdark 49ers (who by then were themselves a grimmer version of the old 49ers) with the same cartoony pirate stuff that we make fun of bootleg Raiders merchandise for.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Coming from a lifelong Bucs fan who started in the last couple sessions of the Creamsicle era, yes, I liked the 1997 rebrand, but I think those uniforms were starting to show their age. Sticking with a dark red and darker pewter, along with black trim, made for an overly-dark uniform, and there wasn't a need for double outlines on the numbers.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Well I just wasted the last little bit searching old discussions and concepts...  I just can't imagine how they can combine orange and pewter (two elements I love) and come out with a good result.  For me a solid orange jersey just doesn't work with the pewter but I'd prefer them to be an "orange" team rather than a "red" team.  How about this for some lols:

dqriti.jpg

I remember being like 6 when the Bucs and Broncos new sets were unveiled and how they were called innovative and all that.

If you would have told me in 2007 (10 years in) that the Broncos would outlast the Bucs I woulda disagreed with you but here we are.

The Broncos have made that look their own kinda now and won 3 Super Bowls with it and unless they're going the color rush jerseys with white pants (and keep the Navy of the current set as the Super Bowl Throwback/Alt) I'd rather them stay as is because I don't trust Nike.

The Bucs need to change ASAP.

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Butt Packers

Sorry, but that cracked me up. 

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

(Should have saved the consternation for the mid-'80s when he started looking like the Village People's rejected mechanic character.)

So did that.

BB52Big.jpg

51 minutes ago, VikWings said:

The Broncos have made that look their own kinda now and won 3 Super Bowls with it and unless they're going the color rush jerseys with white pants (and keep the Navy of the current set as the Super Bowl Throwback/Alt) I'd rather them stay as is because I don't trust Nike.

Can't say I blame you. Has Nike ever given the Nike treatment to an already bad NFL uniform? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Whatever the case, turning Nike loose on the Broncos has the potential to be a real disaster. Does the NFL have a rule against actual horse manes on a helmet? 

BB52Big.jpg

As a life long Bucs fan and current season ticket holder. The current set needs to be dumped. The white set looks awful in person. The red jerseys with the pewter are much more tolerable. Unfortunately we’ll see the reds worn maybe 5 times in total a year, The whole first half of the season white garbage is lame, especially now. I have always liked the creamsickle Bucco Bruce look and would welcome it’s return. Even if the team mixed the current logo with the original colors, it’s be much more appealing than their dumpster fire they have going on. The pewter while decent originally, I believe, has gotten stale due to the crap brown adjustment.

I've actually warmed up to the uniforms the last couple years. The pewter-red-pewter at home honestly looks sharp, as does the pewter-white-pewter and pewter-white-white whether on the road or home (both can happen often.) I would love to see more red-pewter-white at home when it's not too cold out, I feel like that would be a nice nod back to the '97 team which wore white pants at home frequently. I may be in the minority, but I love the current Tampa look, I just think its been marred in mediocrity long enough that unless they make it a Super Bowl contender times 3 the next few years this'll never happen. Forward now! (Or sometime in 2019 when TB can officially rebrand once again.)

ClAFLDa.png

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

I guess I'll never truly understand the Buccaneers uniform and the way people in this thread are talking about Mike Alstott jerseys changing their lives. They're just grimdark 49ers (who by then were themselves a grimmer version of the old 49ers) with the same cartoony pirate stuff that we make fun of bootleg Raiders merchandise for.

I agree with this post except for the logo criticism. It's alot better than Bucco Bruce but I like that logo too.

bSLCtu2.png

21 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

This was a distinction that made a difference😄

The same way that Steven Spielberg was against aliens in Indy 4, but was convinced when George Lucas called them "interdimensional beings" instead.

18 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Well I just wasted the last little bit searching old discussions and concepts...  I just can't imagine how they can combine orange and pewter (two elements I love) and come out with a good result.  For me a solid orange jersey just doesn't work with the pewter but I'd prefer them to be an "orange" team rather than a "red" team.  How about this for some lols:

dqriti.jpg

Is this for when the bucs move to Barcelona? I like the Spanish flag influences 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On November 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Gothamite said:

errol-flynn-captain-blood_10x6.jpg

Justin Trudeau? Is that you?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

17 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Can't say I blame you. Has Nike ever given the Nike treatment to an already bad NFL uniform? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Whatever the case, turning Nike loose on the Broncos has the potential to be a real disaster. Does the NFL have a rule against actual horse manes on a helmet? 

The Jags. They got the Nike treatment twice. The 2nd was after Tom Coughlin walked in the door and immediately said enough of that two-toned helmet. He was going to make sure they looked more traditional.

It's on the teams too as they have input and have to approve the out there designs Nike brings too them.

23 hours ago, _RH_ said:

dqriti.jpg

I really like this.  The two tone orange/red jersey is probably a bit much, but overall, the balance of orange/red is great and it pops nicely against the dark pants and the pant striping and socks ties the top and bottom together nicely.

Archived