Seattle Sockeyes concept

Section30

Hey everyone, I'm back with another design I need some CC on. I thought it'd be fun to challenge myself to make something new, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a Sockeye Salmon logo as like a Seattle NHL team concept thing. Anyways, here is what I have so far, I based it off of the walleye logo I had made earlier this year and tried to kinda combine that with pictures of Sockeye Salmon I found online.

wvaxbon.png

Let me know what you think, CC is appreciated!

• Section30 changed the title to Seattle Sockeyes logo concept
45 minutes ago, nate.sweitz said:

Much sharper, good work! I like all the color schemes but I think the light blue and green is the most unique.

Agreed. It's a great color scheme without being too close to the seahawks/sonics/mariners.

tinysig.jpg

Also, here is a modified version of the Sockeye based on the native american drawings and totems of the pacific northwest. I am really happy with how it turned out, let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Here it is in the original colors.

ED04wcQ.png

And here in the green and blue

6iEr2HV.png

Let me know what you think, cc is appreciated!

I agree that the first version felt kinda generic. The Indigenous-style version fits the city a lot better. Good call there!

That said I think the form of the fish doesn't work quite as well with all the new patterns. Perhaps try to make it so the stomach part doesn't stick out so much?

As for the colors, I want to make blue+green to work (since we've got a nice thing going here in Seattle!) but these shades look kinda awkward here.

Maybe muted blue-silver with dark green or muted green-silver with navy (a la Cowboys) would work to make it look more like an actual salmon?

10 hours ago, vtgco said:

I agree that the first version felt kinda generic. The Indigenous-style version fits the city a lot better. Good call there!

That said I think the form of the fish doesn't work quite as well with all the new patterns. Perhaps try to make it so the stomach part doesn't stick out so much?

As for the colors, I want to make blue+green to work (since we've got a nice thing going here in Seattle!) but these shades look kinda awkward here.

Maybe muted blue-silver with dark green or muted green-silver with navy (a la Cowboys) would work to make it look more like an actual salmon?

How is this? I muted the blue to a steel blue

eteUeVt.png

If you're going the totem route, I think red and black with teal accents would look the best, since that's the most common color scheme for traditional Haida art.

Also, I missed this the first time but the fish looks like he's folding over rather than wrapping around. I think it's cause that curve juts out too much, and the rest of the tail doesn't follow the curve. It seems like this is a pretty common mistake with fish logos on these boards. It's a really tough curve to nail down. 

6 minutes ago, nate.sweitz said:

If you're going the totem route, I think red and black with teal accents would look the best, since that's the most common color scheme for traditional Haida art.

Also, I missed this the first time but the fish looks like he's folding over rather than wrapping around. I think it's cause that curve juts out too much, and the rest of the tail doesn't follow the curve. It seems like this is a pretty common mistake with fish logos on these boards. It's a really tough curve to nail down. 

Do you have any tips as to how to make it look more realistic?

I tried to make it a little more dynamic like the one you made @nate.sweitz I think it looks a lot better, I'm not sure if it solves the folding thing though, if anyone has any advise or tips feel free to share them. Below is the updated version as well as the mets S style logo in both color options. Let me know which you guys like better, I personally think the green and steel blue is cooler and more unique but the red and black match the name and logo style better.

bkKcoZ7.png

CC is appreciated!

Here are some uniform concepts I have. After trying a number of things including adding colors and doing different striping patterns and styles I have narrowed the home and away down to 2 options and have an alternate that I am happy with.

Here are the home and away option 1.

u0jpOzc.png

o7gQfUe.png

And here is the second option.

7559UnY.pngTihIHEm.png

And finally here is the alternate which is a bit of a throwback to the Metropolitans (I am aware it looks like the senators throwback due to the colors, but they aren't using it anymore and this is just a concept, not a realistic thing.)

e2qbEVj.png

Let me know what you guys think, cc is appreciated!

These are looking good! I was trying to think of a way to do a logo for Sockeyes or Steelheads but was having trouble coming up with a way to draw the fish that would look mean instead of clip-arty. I think you're on the right path.

One possible idea you could explore could be incorporating a 2nd fish to create an "S" shape with either the 2 fish or in the negative space that the fish create:

A7Fz6Kh.png

You might have to modify the form of your existing fish to get it to read correctly, but I just thought I would throw the idea out there.

One piece of feedback from a stylistic standpoint, and this is a little nit-picky, but I noticed that the details and line quality on the body of the fish are really sharp, but on the tail the illustration work is more rounded and doesn't have quite the same feel as the rest of the fish.

Archived