Jump to content

Seattle has an NHL team


Brian in Boston
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Associated Press is reporting that the NHL Board of Governors has unanimously approved granting an expansion franchise to Seattle, Washington. The team - the NHL's 32nd - will begin play with commencement of the league's 2021-2022 season.

NHL adds Seattle as league's 32nd team, play begins in 2021

I wonder if we'll find out what the team name is some time this spring

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

 

 

Seattle REDBLACKS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

 

A member of the family that used to own the Metropolitans was in attendance with a Metros scarf, and apparently most of the Seattle media think it'll be the Metropolitans also.

 

Which, if that is the case, we'll probably need to rename the Metropolitan Division again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

A member of the family that used to own the Metropolitans was in attendance with a Metros scarf, and apparently most of the Seattle media think it'll be the Metropolitans also.

 

Which, if that is the case, we'll probably need to rename the Metropolitan Division again.

Seattle Metropolitan Divisions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seattle Metros sounds like a sweet name and, to me, is in line with "Sonic's." I hope they make it happen.

 

2021 sure is a while away. FWIW, our local transportation system will be dramatically improved by then, with three new light rail stations from the north coming online. One of those stations serves a huge park and ride accessible to suburban communities, so from a traffic standpoint, waiting a year is probably for the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Seattle Metros sounds like a sweet name and, to me, is in line with "Sonic's." I hope they make it happen.

 

2021 sure is a while away. FWIW, our local transportation system will be dramatically improved by then, with three new light rail stations from the north coming online. One of those stations serves a huge park and ride accessible to suburban communities, so from a traffic standpoint, waiting a year is probably for the best.

Is there anything planned with the Link at Seattle Center or are they going to rely on the Monorail for the last mile?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

"Today is an exciting and historic day for our League as we expand to one of North America's most innovative, beautiful and fastest-growing cities. We are delighted to add David Bonderman, Tod Leiweke and the entire NHL Seattle group to the National Hockey League family. And we are thrilled that Seattle, a city with a proud hockey history that includes being home for the first American team to ever win the Stanley Cup. is finally joining the NHL." - Gary Bettman 

As an aside related to potential team branding, the NHL Seattle website does feature an awful lot of red and black, doesn't it?

NHL Seattle  

 

 

 

I have a feeling that those colors are just temporary, while they settle on the name and color scheme over the Winter.

 

This is a huge step for the NBA to eventually give Seattle the Supersonics again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LMU said:

Is there anything planned with the Link at Seattle Center or are they going to rely on the Monorail for the last mile?

 

Monorail for the last mile. There's a new Seattle Center Link station planned to open in something like 2030.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.