The Freedom Football League

GDAWG

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Oakland had the worst logo and likely the most controversial one if they ever see the field.  Birmingham, Oklahoma City and San Diego look good. 

Oklahoma City is. A nice Invaders USFL rip-off. Oakland is boring just trying to be the Raiders like in a Iron kind of way. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well here’s what the Oakland panthers would look like on the field  not Raiders at all  I’m not sure what to think of this  very different sparks to mind  25068873596395.5c0ef106f1c9d.jpg

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

8 hours ago, mkg74 said:

Well here’s what the Oakland panthers would look like on the field  not Raiders at all  I’m not sure what to think of this  very different sparks to mind  25068873596395.5c0ef106f1c9d.jpg

Their helmet is the black power fist, which will cause controversy if the league ever kicks off, which seems unlikely.

Also everytime that Ohio scores a TD, they need to play "Love Rollercoaster" over the speakers.

45 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They should have just went with the animal. 

You may be missing the point,

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

You may be missing the point,

I got the point, it's that the league is not going to play it safe.  If they have any chance of being a success, they should play it safe. No legit TV network is going to broadcast their games with the kind of social platform they are planning to have.  If they ever kick off, they will be on a network nobody watches that is willing to take a chance on a football league with a social platform as the FFL.  Despite all of the problems the AAF has, they have games on TNT/TBS, which have a fairly significant reach and also on the NFL Network and CBS Sports.  There are rumors that the XFL is going to have TV deals with Fox and ESPN, which if true is a big deal for the XFL.  I am not sure a legit network will show FFL games on TV.

After thinking about it more, I can see a dedicated audience that this would appeal to in theory. They're trying to appeal to nouveau-riche African-Americans and there is more support for activist politics (like Black Lives Matter) among upper-middle class to upper class African-Americans. This is reflected in not just one, but two logos with the black power salute (OKC Power with a brown fist raised is incredibly subtle you know) along with references to black history.

If this is a league where players are contractors (if they're smart they'll put the players on the hook for their own insurance), then maybe this could have a small but sustainable following if they keep everything low-budget. Of course, I'm assuming that this is actually going to result in a down of football and doesn't reek of a scam more than whatever dank strain of the day is reeking around Ricky Williams targeting the aforementioned nouveau-riche black demographic.

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I got the point, it's that the league is not going to play it safe.  If they have any chance of being a success, they should play it safe. No legit TV network is going to broadcast their games with the kind of social platform they are planning to have.  If they ever kick off, they will be on a network nobody watches that is willing to take a chance on a football league with a social platform as the FFL.  Despite all of the problems the AAF has, they have games on TNT/TBS, which have a fairly significant reach and also on the NFL Network and CBS Sports.  There are rumors that the XFL is going to have TV deals with Fox and ESPN, which if true is a big deal for the XFL.  I am not sure a legit network will show FFL games on TV.

I agree completely. One of the things that I have personally always found appealing about sports is that (in theory anyway) it's always an escape from politics or other life-related stresses. You come home from work, you hear nothing on the news about politics, but then you can turn on a baseball game and turn your brain off. It's just a fun, meaningless game that isn't about anything more than the guys on the field. Same with basketball, football, any other sport. Of course, politics and other social causes find their way into sports and I don't think that's a bad thing, but my point is I appreciate leagues that are officially neutral. A league that is building itself around being divisive from the get-go is simply not going to succeed.

Remember that guy that wanted to start the all-white basketball league? It never got beyond a minor press release.

That Florida Strong graphic with the city is just beautiful!  😍 That's desktop wallpaper worthy!  Purple, turquoise and lime green....yes yes yes!  Not crazy about the name though.

I like the Underground's colors and name too.

The Panthers have a early 90's black power look to it, I dig it.  I still have some of that music.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of an update via the league's Facebook:

- St. Louis has former Ram Mike Jones as CEO

- Akili Smith is a part of the league, heading the Portland Progress

- Ken Stills Jr. is heading the Oklahoma City Power

- Toi Cook is part of the Founding 50

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They are not going to stop as they continue to post updates on Facebook.  The Florida Strong will be run by Dexter Jackson and Norm Chow is involved in San Diego are the latest updates.

Let's not confuse updates on Facebook with progress toward being a viable entity. 

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Let's not confuse updates on Facebook with progress toward being a viable entity. 

True.....the most likely scenario is that they don't have a money guy and will probably never kick off. 

On 4/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, GDAWG said:

True.....the most likely scenario is that they don't have a money guy and will probably never kick off. 

When you're team is based in Austin and the Alamo is the picture they use for the city picture, you'll never see a single down. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Anyone care for anymore Facebook posts from the FFL? 

No. The beat thing for them is that they will never be compared to Charlie Ebersol in regards to ineptness if they quit now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

No. The beat thing for them is that they will never be compared to Charlie Ebersol in regards to ineptness if they quit now. 

They don't have a money guy, that is clear as day. None of the ex-players involved in the league are money type guys. 

Archived