Philadelphia Phillies Unveil New Primary Logo

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the bell look like less of a bell now to me? In the old logo I clearly see the Liberty Bell. In the new one I see either an old style rotary telephone or a block version of a little girl in pigtails. Something is so off. Seems like a downgrade to me for the most part. And, I usually don't ask this but "why" are they making this change? Like I wish I knew the reasoning because I think the previous logo was excellent for them and this isn't a major change but it's also not minor/insignificant so what made them think they needed to change? 

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

professional sports logos have such a cultural impact, its really unfortunate something so poorly done gets to be a part of it. slapping a script on top of the bell; that kind of forced integration can't possibly work. there's nothing iconic about it, there's nothing unifying about the elements, no elegance and no attempt at integration at all. those tangents, the alignment, the thinner key stroke, the overlap of the P-h (to create some kind of balance, and it's still off) and nasty curves/shapes. the absolute lack of craftsmanship is astounding.  

It looks rushed, like a kid turning in a first draft of their term paper without any edits (heck, even a once-over in Grammarly). They probably took the graphic files already available (how the overlap survived), flipped a few colors and stroke weights around, mashed two elements together, and called it a day. It’s something that’d be laughed off of the concepts folder with the comment “needs refinement.”

It’s not like the Phillies didn’t have options for logos to modernize/adapt into their 1992-present identity. The William Penn statue pitching, Independence Hall, the keystone shape, etc. are all available to them. That could be iconic, but this is a mashup in the worst sense.

12 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The Phillies probably don't want to have to replace many signs, especially the scoreboard Phillies sign so thats why they didn't tinker it much.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I hope they use this as an excuse to separate the P from the h in the jersey wordmark.  That's bugged me since day one.

It appears that the script in the new logo matches the jersey script but doesn't match the scoreboard script.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Ugh, they double-downed on the overlap.

Anyway - the Phillies have never had an "iconic" primary logo.  Their "logo" is really their script, and anything else is just kinda filler to make it more proportional.

This new logo, with its flaws and lack of character, fits in within some of the more classic logos out there, specifically the Yankees - which is just a script and hat in front of a baseball.  Standards are different now, but sometimes we expect too much.  In the case of the Phillies, I wouldn't expect (or really want) anything more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is the logo from when I grew up (regardless of designation), and my favorite one - mostly because of the colors, even if they weren't part of their true palette:

Image result for phillies independence hall logo

Maybe try swapping scripts, putting the bell at the bottom, and see if that works?  My suspicion is that there would be just as many (if not more) asinine "lazy" comments.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is all we'll ever see anyway - you'll almost never see their 'primary', unless there's some media outlet that's system is hard-coded like "insert logo[x] where status=='primary'"

cut.jpg

Did you ever see the diamond-bell logo in any meaningful context?  Show me where.

They abandoned it 100% at the new park, using only the actual park logo, and this (until it was retired a few years ago)

xkecqemi5iy689xr9zgh.gif

Many people - myself included - thought that this was the primary logo for a few years, until this site corrected me.

EDIT: I can't believe I just referred to CBP as the "New" park - that wasn't intentional.  *sigh* I think for anyone that grew up with the Vet, CBP and the Linc will be the "new" stadiums, even when they're 30 or 40 years old.

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They abandoned it 100% at the new park, using only the actual park logo, and this (until it was retired a few years ago)

xkecqemi5iy689xr9zgh.gif

Many people - myself included - thought that this was the primary logo for a few years, until this site corrected me.

EDIT: I can't believe I just referred to CBP as the "New" park - that wasn't intentional.  *sigh* I think for anyone that grew up with the Vet, CBP and the Linc will be the "new" stadiums, even when they're 30 or 40 years old.

I could be wrong, but isn't this logo really big (on top of billboard or something?) in the parking lot? I remember seeing it and thinking that the parking lot is legitimately the only place this logo is used.

Edit: Holy crap. Google worked. Is this still there?

citizens-bank-park-parking-lot-panorama1

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I could be wrong, but isn't this logo really big (on top of billboard or something?) in the parking lot? I remember seeing it and thinking that the parking lot is legitimately the only place this logo is used.

Edit: Holy crap. Google worked. Is this still there?

citizens-bank-park-parking-lot-panorama1

I think they took it down, really I only think of that logo with the Vet cause they used it quite a bit in the late 90s - early 2000s, but then once they moved to citizens bank bark other than that parking lot sign you never saw it.

Also with the old primary, the scoreboard graphics is where it would pop up.

field-view-and-scoreboard.jpg

Slight downgrade on the logo. The switch to navy is laughably stupid though. We need less red and blue teams but we especially need less red and navy teams. I know they are one of a thousand patriotically themed teams in this country, but just go back to the light blue and maroon so we have some unique looks in this league!

3 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Slight downgrade on the logo. The switch to navy is laughably stupid though. We need less red and blue teams but we especially need less red and navy teams. I know they are one of a thousand patriotically themed teams in this country, but just go back to the light blue and maroon so we have some unique looks in this league!

It's not navy after all. 

It appears to be a slightly darker royal blue.  

New Era stocks two colors of royal - perhaps the Phillies’ alts will now use the darker version (what the Dodgers wear) rather than the lighter version (what the Phillies used to wear, and what the Cubs wear).

It’s ironic, considering they’re “my” team, and I’m obviously very passionate about logos, but I honestly don’t care about their primary logo, because historically it just hasn’t mattered for them. I care about their uniforms, and really, that’s about it. They are unique in that way - at least to me.  

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It’s ironic, considering they’re “my” team, and I’m obviously very passionate about logos, but I honestly don’t care about their primary logo, because historically it just hasn’t mattered for them. I care about their uniforms, and really, that’s about it. They are unique in that way - at least to me.  

Well I gotta wonder if there will be tweaks. Only the authentic gray and 1 player gray is being sold, but grays do sell the least I'm guessing. 

But the roads could use some minor changes. 

The non-navy blue looks much better.  Even if the royal is darker, it still is far enough from navy where I think it looks good.  I don't mind this new logo.  I think it's an instance where many people, including actual Phillie fans, may not even notice it.  

For what its worth, I showed the new logo side by side with the last primary to a Phillies fan in my office.  She hated it and wanted the baseball field outline back.  But hey, sometimes change is scary.  I think the logo is pretty clean and simple.  I lean towards liking it.  Hopefully it won't be adorned on Bryce Harper in any way. Gulp.

90758391980.gif

18 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I see this as a clear downgrade. I prefer the diamond logo and lighter blue. The clunky silhouette of the bell is too pronounced now. It's a more modern look but poorly executed.

Kind of my feelings as well.

Not that their current look is bad, but it is in need of a refresh if not an overhaul. They should just go back to maroon as half the Phillies merch I see fans wearing is that old-school maroon.

But this is a clear half measure that neither improves on the previous logo nor does it provide any sort of substantial refresh of the previous look.

I give this logo five years tops before the Phillies are back at the drawing board.

Archived