Vermont FC (Updated Jan. 3)

Jake3roo

I had an idea a few years ago for a team called Vermont FC. I didn't have a league in mind. I didn't know very much about Vermont. All I knew was they had a lot of trees, what their flag looked like (navy with a seal featuring a tree), so I made a crest.

That looked like this: (circa 2014)

fH1g1Zc.png

Since then, I have vastly improved my skills, vectorized the logo (the old one was done in Photoshop Elements on a school computer)  and shed the terrible color scheme to give it more contrast. So after leaving it alone for 4+ years, here's the redo (yeah I didn't post the original one here, but it is still a redo nonetheless):

smFrawT.png

I also made a jersey mockup:

Juan1v2.jpg

I am open to C&C but I have 2 points about that:

1. I am firm on FC. I'd be open to another name but none of the United/Inter/SC crap that's making the MLS sound all terrible. (don't @ me)

2. I don't have any idea for an away/clash kit yet, so shoot away.

tinysig.jpg

This is a REALLY solid start!

Let me make a suggestion to you: you see that pine tree you have up top? Flip it upside down and cut into that V in order to create a negative-space pine tree V. See how that works out for you.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Certainly a good start!

Thenew shades of blue & green have much better contrast, and the font is better.

The jersey is pretty cool!

I agree with @NDFreek that the logo needs a tad more; maybe consider incorporating the stars of the Green Mountain Boys flag? That might help it be less Whitecaps-y too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll come back to the kit mockup once I sort out the crest. I loved @Buc's idea so I went ahead and tried it and I like how it looks but I have a few questions about where I should go from here. Here's what I got right now:

gLDAT0U.png

So that right there is a lot of trees and Vs (rhymin') so let me sort a bit of this out:

(the bottom right has the original logo, with and without words for your reference)

-The first 5 logos are my first 3 attempts at making the negative-space V (disregarding the wordmark right now)

-Those two on the top right are the rejects, they don't quite look right.

-I noticed that the logo looked a bit like the reflection on a lake, so I added in blue to see what it would look like, and I do sorta love it.

-The middle 3 are the same as the top 3 but with blue (and yeah I tweaked the last one)

Basically, my issue has been with trying to keep the same Tree/V balance that I had before, but add in the bit about the reflection over the lake. My problem is I either leave too much empty space at the top (see the left column) or I have to distort the proportions and then it doesn't look as good (3rd column top+middle, 2nd column bottom)

That, and the wordmark is an issue. I love the look of the two on the left, but the wordmark messes it up.

Any advice/ C&C/ encouragement?

tinysig.jpg

I'd try the second column one with the green triangle on top and teal water. That way you get a Green Mountain and a lake reflection...

I'm not sure what to do with the wordmark either, but maybe you could do just "FC" to go with the negative space V?

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

I'm not sure what to do with the wordmark either, but maybe you could do just "FC" to go with the negative space V?

That's exactly what I was thinking with the placement of FC - have it read VERMONT all the way across left to right, and then place FC below it in the negative space between the V. I'd also suggest having the V in Vermont be at the same angle as the diamond so that they flow seamlessly together.

For colors, the versions that have navy as the outmost and dominant color work better. The others with inverted colors get confusing on the eye. I like the first version in the third row, down because it almost appears as if the tree is reflecting on water, but I think you need to add something to the top half since there's a lot of empty navy.

I like the 1st crest in the 3rd row, but I suggest you match the angle of the diamond with the angle of the tree and it’s reflection. Extend a line along the edge of the tip of the tree. Then move the points on the side of the tree to that line. This would create the V with a more consistent thickness. 

bottom row middle is my winner. I like this design, crest is big but not a design issue, but my only concern, and it's even more important if you add another blue shade, is to incorporate more blue on the uniforms. That's all though, everything looks nice. 

I think bottom row middle is the winner here. It keeps all three beautiful colors, and also has the name. Normally I'd try to keep words out of the logo, but nothing here is super identifiable at first sight, so keeping the name here is the right move. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived