North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

I really like how much of this is tying into the Mint Museum. Maybe it's pointing to the basis of the identity being the Mint? That's unique in all sports, not just soccer, ties into the city, and hopefully leads to mint being a prominent color (probably combined with the Panthers blue). Maybe the name is something like Charlotte Mint FC? That's actually not terrible... and if it means a unique color scheme and identity, I'm all for it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still going with Phoenix and Indy after the official announcement of Charlotte in a few weeks. I am going to say no to Las Vegas for 31 and 32.  If they further expand beyond 32, I am still going to say no to Las Vegas. 

When Tepper joins the MLS, he will be the 8th NFL owner in MLS joining Arthur Blank (Atlanta), Jimmy Haslam (Columbus), Stan Kroenke (Colorado), Clark Hunt (Dallas), Zygi Wilf (Nashville), Robert Kraft (New England) and Jody Allen (Seattle).  That will be a quarter of NFL owners who own MLS teams either as sole majority or as part of a group.  That's a powerful group of owners.   

10 minutes ago, Mindless said:

I hope MLS stops expanding for a couple years after announcing Charlotte as the 30th club.

In my humble opinion, the overall on-field product is vastly watered down.

Agree with the first and not the second. I've been watching MLS for a decade and think the quality of play has vastly improved.

It used to be a retirement league plus underpaid American dudes. Now it's a great development league for future Euro stars and some USMNT guys. It's a much better quality product now than even 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Agree with the first and not the second. I've been watching MLS for a decade and think the quality of play has vastly improved.

It used to be a retirement league plus underpaid American dudes. Now it's a great development league for future Euro stars and some USMNT guys. It's a much better quality product now than even 5 years ago.

I watched a few DC United regular season matches, various primetime MLS matches, plus the MLS Cup playoff games this year. Only a handful were entertaining football.

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s being watered down at all.  Exactly the opposite - the money coming in to MLS has allowed them to get a better quality of player than ever. 

Does that money further develop homegrown talent or DP players more?

Alphonso Davies is playing in Bayern Munich. Miguel Almiron was sold to Newcastle. Jordan Morris might be the best American player (or maybe not). Zac Steffen went from Columbus Crew to Manchester City.

Ten years ago, you didn't see MLS players headed out this way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, Mindless said:

Does that money further develop homegrown talent or DP players more?

Both.  

MLS clubs are putting tremendous amounts of money into player development, which will pay off in decades to come.  At the same time, they’re paying more to bring in name talent.  Like your Mr. Rooney, who was involved in some really great football while in DC. 

The addition of David Tepper to their stable of owners helps MLS as now they add the richest owner in the NFL to their group.  Plus you have celebrity ownership in several cities: Beckham in Miami of course, Will Ferrell, Magic Johnson, Mia Hamm and Nomar Garciaparra with LAFC, James Harden in Houston and Matthew McConaughey with Austin FC in an attempt by Frat Boy Precourt to be cool. 

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

When Tepper joins the MLS, he will be the 8th NFL owner in MLS joining Arthur Blank (Atlanta), Jimmy Haslam (Columbus), Stan Kroenke (Colorado), Clark Hunt (Dallas), Zygi Wilf (Nashville), Robert Kraft (New England) and Jody Allen (Seattle).  That will be a quarter of NFL owners who own MLS teams either as sole majority or as part of a group.  That's a powerful group of owners.   

Hooray for a concentration of wealth!   /sarcasm

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s being watered down at all.  Exactly the opposite - the money coming in to MLS has allowed them to get a better quality of player than ever. 

We know that most folks are not investing in this for the sake of US Soccer, but for the sake of their balance sheet thought MLS and the ability to control stadium revenues though events other than the MLS home games.   Even with relatively low payrolls, the majority of teams are not profitable, but USM is and that is what they buy into.  That and the fleecing of municipalities for a "mixed-used development" and use of TIFs. 

Will Arthur Blank break rank and start complaining about how much money he is bringing in yet not truly receiving?

Sidenote: MLS really has yet to be able to "tell their story" properly to either the English or Spanish-speaking audience, but that 2016 study is what they're working off.  Garber still needs to have their marketing "tell their story" better to the masses for TV purposes. 

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Even with relatively low payrolls, the majority of teams are not profitable,

Those teams are not profitable because they’re making huge capital investments.  They’re building facilities, academies, and infrastructure.  A short-term loss to make more money later.  That’s investing for the future, and it speaks more to the league’s strength than weakness. 

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Both.  

MLS clubs are putting tremendous amounts of money into player development, which will pay off in decades to come.  At the same time, they’re paying more to bring in name talent.  Like your Mr. Rooney, who was involved in some really great football while in DC. 

Aye, Mr. Rooney may have put more butts in the seats and elevated DCU football for the brief time he was stateside.
More concerned what the "Rooney effect" will have on the club in 2020 and beyond.
However, I would like to see more homegrown talent dominate the league rather than 30-somethings from Euro or South American leagues.
Maybe my view is on the same side of the coin as yours? 🤷‍♂️

On 12/5/2019 at 8:15 PM, Mindless said:

I hope MLS stops expanding for a couple years after announcing Charlotte as the 30th club.

In my humble opinion, the overall on-field product is vastly watered down.

If there's one sport that really never needs to worry about getting it's talent level watered down, it's soccer. You can find soccer players in every (inhabitable) continent on earth because it's played everywhere, unlike the sports we best know in North America. The more we can attract and bring skilled players to North America, the better as far as I'm concerned.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

If there's one sport that really never needs to worry about getting it's talent level watered down, it's soccer. You can find soccer players in every (inhabitable) continent on earth because it's played everywhere, unlike the sports we best know in North America. The more we can attract and bring skilled players to North America, the better as far as I'm concerned.

There are even MLS fans who think someday Messi and Neymar will make the jump to MLS.  Not sure about that, but who knows.  I never thought Wayne Rooney would be in MLS. 

Archived