Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

FC Cincinnati introduced their new mascot today, Gary The Lion.

D0Wp_LAX0AA6iIM.jpg

Why Gary? When the logo was initially leaked someone had too much time on their hands and found his name in the logo. Fans started calling it Gary The Knifey Lion. On the night of the official unveiling fans in the crowd chanted "Gary! Gary! Gary" and the name has stuck with the diehard fans. Clearly the team has embraced the name.

fFOqXLS.jpg

36 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Why Gary? When the logo was initially leaked someone had too much time on their hands and found his name in the logo. Fans started calling it Gary The Knifey Lion. On the night of the official unveiling fans in the crowd chanted "Gary! Gary! Gary" and the name has stuck with the diehard fans. Clearly the team has embraced the name.

A rare case of the internet being alright.

I watched the LAFC thing on ESPN+. It's not nearly as much about creating LAFC as some of the marketing made me believe, but it's fine though it's mostly just a long ad for the franchise. It was fun reliving their epic collapse against the Galaxy in their first matchup and the choke job the pulled in Kansas City at the end of the season and it got me excited for the start of MLS coming up.

Does LAFC even have a majority owner?  They have like 1,000 owners including Magic Johnson, Will Ferrell and Mia Hamm.

14 hours ago, Dilbert said:

D0Wp_LAX0AA6iIM.jpg

fFOqXLS.jpg

I like it. They should've made his wings a little bigger. 

Here's full body shots SFW

https://twitter.com/AmazingMascots/status/1100495564456804352/photo/1

Just now, sohiosportsfreak said:

Damn they should have named him Bailey

The LA Kings lion mascot is named Bailey after Ace Bailey who was one of two Kings scouts killed on 9/11 so that name was probably best left to them. 

Ah I didn't know that. Gary is a good fit then. Either way it's a good fit along with Twister, Puckchop, Mr. Redlegs, and Rosey Red. The other one can leave town lol

44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I like it. They should've made his wings a little bigger. 

Here's full body shots SFW

https://twitter.com/AmazingMascots/status/1100495564456804352/photo/1

I’m guessing they gave him smaller wings because they get cumbersome on a costume.  They don’t want him knocking somebody over every time he turns around. 

Someone suggested instead of Gary he should have been named Skylion (a play on Skyline Chili). I honestly would've been cool with that as well.

That seems like a really poor name for a Cincinnati team’s Mascot. Everybody knows that @Gary. is from Phoenix via Flint, Michigan. 

28 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

That seems like a really poor name for a Cincinnati tram’s Mascot. Everybody knows that @Gary. is from Phoenix via Flint, Michigan. 

In other words I’m the unofficial mascot of the CCSLC!

I'm super excited to be a part of MLS history today -- I'll be at the Sounders/FC Cincinnati match tonight. It might be in the 30s though, which kind of sucks.

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

This is MLS:

Awesome! Watching the AAF game in Salt Lake and it's almost as good.

That Colorado-Portland game was nuts. Not just the snow, but the Rapids coming back to draw despite being down a man. Absolutely wild. It wasn't good soccer, but it was entertaining soccer.

That was a hell of a first-ever goal for Cincinnati. They're looking like a proper expansion team now, though. Also, welcome back, Jordan Morris.

10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

This is MLS:

But yeah, we should totally move to the international calendar. :rolleyes:

My family in Denver wanted me to come out there for that match. I love my Timbers but nah I'm good.18 degrees in Colorado. 72 degrees in my house. Not a tough decision.