Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

8 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Let’s effing go! Great start to the season for LAFC. Nice comeback against one of the best teams in the league. 

As a side note, SKC’s shorts need to be light blue or white. The grey is ugly af. Makes the kit look muddy. 

Their play was as ugly as their uniforms. LAFC looked far superior to SKC tonight. Sporting does a really good job of surviving, which was all they could do against LAFC, but it wasn't enough to get any points.

52 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Interesting. I wish the blackouts were more consistent across leagues, especially in pro sports deadzones like the one I live in. For MLS I don't have any blackouts, but for MLB I have four (Texas, Houston, St. Louis, and Kansas City) which just seems absurd.

Portland hates the Sounders so much that they don't even want you hate-watching them.

I do as well. In the NBA, we are blacked out from Orlando and Miami, which is understandable. In the NFL, all 3 Florida teams are blacked out - again understandable. However, MLB blacks out both Florida teams and the Braves, and NHL does both Florida teams plus Carolina and Nashville (!). MLS is only Orlando City, and reportedly they’ve added Atlanta to that list this year (why though?).

23 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Ugh you sat next to that bum? Lol

I said "good job on the streetcar that doesn't work".

Kidding. I said nothing to him except "yeah!" when FCC scored and we did the aforementioned high five, which was poorly executed and probably looked very dorky. 

20 hours ago, DG_Now said:

There were actually a surprising amount of FCC supporters at CenturyLink last night. They had a decent-sized supporters section, but I saw more than a few folks walking around in blue and orange gear, including a couple with USL-era stuff. A guy in my row was wearing new MLS FCC blue/orange shirt.

Seattle's a transplant city, so it's not surprising to see road fans, but still cool to see those road fans adopting their brand new MLS team.

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

A lot of them may still be from Cincinnati and probably wanted to make sure to make it out there since it was their first ever game. Not sure what the cost of flights out that way are but if they got them early enough it could've been somewhat cheap. That being said, Ohioans do seem to flock to the Northwest, possibly because it's almost like parts of Ohio, minus the really heavy snow storms. 

Seattle rules and a lot of people from all over have moved there in the last decade. When I lived in Seattle most of the people I hung out with ending up being from Ohio. We just kind of found each other. As a result I know like 10 people who were at the game. My friends who still live out there, but are from Cincinnati were there in blue and orange and hosted a travelling party of at least a dozen. 

I think most of the FCC supporters who they stashed up in the corner upper deck were part of a traveling group who bought tickets the second the schedule dropped just so they could see the first game in person. My friend and his wife used it as an excuse to visit her sister who lives there. 

What am I saying? I don't know. I guess I wasn't surprised by the number of people who made the trip. 

Thanks to winning a matchday poster contest in 2015 (you can see the poster here) and getting to go on the field at CenturyLink I've been a Sounders fan, but when I moved back and watched Cincinnati overwhelmingly and surprisingly embrace this team it was hard not get on board. It felt appropriate that they were the first team FCC played in MLS. Saturday night was like a hand-off for me. 

I'll post it here as opposed to the Sports Media thread

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/mls-local-deals-2022-packaging-national.html

It looks like MLS is set to try something unconventional in its next TV deal. As per Ian Thomas of Sports Business Journal, the league has told its clubs to not sign local TV deals past 2022, when its national deals expire. That’s in the hope of possibly packaging those local rights with national rights in some fashion, which would be relatively unprecedented for a U.S. league at the level of MLS. And that move may not work out well for them at all.

"MLS has instructed all 24 of its current clubs as well as its future expansion teams in Miami, Nashville and Austin to not have any local broadcast agreements that go beyond 2022. That is the year that the league’s national and international broadcast deals will expire, thus allowing MLS to potentially package any combination of those rights to future broadcast partners.

…“It’s no secret that the local rights have not garnered the kind of net revenue that we ultimately seek, and we need to continue to drive revenue to be one of those top leagues in the world,” said Adrian Hanauer, the owner of the Seattle Sounders. “I’m super bullish on what we’re envisioning, and I think we’re positing the league and the teams for the best possible outcome.”

I think that’s a great idea.  Follow the NFL model.  Treat it like a uniform contract, and there’s a reason those are negotiated on a league-wide basis.

Not really feasible for MLB or the NBA due to the sheer number of games, but MLS could make it work.

28 members of the USWNT file class action Gender Discrimination suit against US Soccer.

Excerpt:

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, accuses the federation of “institutionalized gender discrimination,” including paying female players less than their male peers despite performing the same job. The lawsuit also cites ongoing federation policies and practices as systemic gender discrimination, including travel conditions, promotion of games, and coaching and medical staff.

“The bottom line is simple: it is wrong for us to be paid and valued less for our work because of our gender,” U.S. defender Becky Sauerbrunn said in a statement. “Every member of this team works incredibly hard to achieve the success that we have had for the USSF. We are standing up now so that our efforts, and those of future USWNT players, will be fairly recognized.”

The class action lawsuit seeks to represent any current or former women’s national team player who was on the team from Feb. 4, 2015 through the date of final judgment.

One point highlighted in the lawsuit is that the U.S. women, as international soccer players representing the federation, perform the same duties as the men’s national team players, but spend more time playing, practicing, traveling and participating in media sessions. The U.S. women played 19 more times than the men from 2015 to 2018, for example. (The U.S. men’s teams failure to qualify for the World Cup at least partially influenced a lack of matches in 2018.)

According to the lawsuit, the USSF “continually rejected” the women’s national team’s request for equal pay and in 2012 offered to compensate women’s players only if they won games against FIFA-ranked top-10 teams, but not for losing or tying matches, nor for beating teams outside the top 10 of world rankings. The lawsuit also states that in 2016, a representative of the USSF said “market realities are such that the women do not deserve to paid equally to the men.”

Full complaint can be found HERE

San Jose 0:3 Minnesota.

I think we can now safely say the Loons' days as road doormats are now over.

That is very bad news for the other 23 teams.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

San Jose 0:3 Minnesota.

I think we can now safely say the Loons' days as road doormats are now over.

That is very bad news for the other 23 teams.

Personally I think the Quakes are the worst team in the league. 

Cincinnati draws in Atlanta. It may not be a win but its a win in my book.

4 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I was just about to post congratulating Cincinnati on its big win today. An equalizer in the 86th minute is pretty good.

Is Atlanta turning into Toronto of 2018?

LAFC looks really good. Though Portland did give up a lead to a terrible Colorado team that only had ten men (twice!). So maybe Portland is bad.

SKC held their own against LAFC last week, and I didn't think they looked very good vs. Philadelphia today. They won 2-0 but the goals came on a PK and then Philadelphia went down to ten men and gave up an own goal. About as uninspiring a 2-0 win as you can have.

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I came in here to post "Cincinnati wins 1-1". I would’ve been happy with a 1-0 loss, honestly. They looked much more improved and cohesive than they did last week in Seattle. I am thrilled to get out of there with a tie. 

Went to the Atlanta match today to see the banner go up. Well done on the production surrounding the game, as always. Didn't think Pity and de Boer would be that much of a drop off from Almiron and Tata, but good lord. All 3 losses this calendar year have been completely different kinds of disasters. Not really going to be too upset when they bow out of the Champions League and go back to playing once a week.

FCC had an incredible fan showing. Looked like their section was near capacity and they were definitely heard. Congrats to them, and welcome to the league!

I didn’t get to watch the game, but I’m thrilled with another win to start season, especially one so dominant over a team who’s becoming a rival.

Hopefully we can get at least a point next week against NYCFC.

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

There are always draws that feel like wins, and draws that feel like losses. Orlando-Chicago is the latter.

Anyway, our new signings this year actually seem competent, which is a first.

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Hopefully we can get at least a point next week against NYCFC.

That’s kind of the way our season is going so far.  😛 

FC Cincinnati joins DC United to have regional streaming through FloSports

Unlike DCU, FC Cincinnati will still have a linear broadcast partner. 

Their debut yesterday for DC United, didn't go so well

FloFC’s first D.C. United MLS broadcast on Sunday afternoon did not go as planned for some viewers. A number of fans cited outages on social media (many of them aggregated by The Washington Post), and even the D.C. United-sponsored official watch party at Lou’s City Bar in Columbia Heights was unable to deliver the match’s first few minutes. FloSports later tweeted an apology that said “some users were blocked in a region that shouldn’t have been.”

A Twitter account identified as FloSports software engineer Patrick Michalina acknowledged a technical problem early in the match but said it was “fixed.” An account identified as FloSports VP of software development Jason Byrne added additional explanation.

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Is Atlanta turning into Toronto of 2018?

I think you made this as a tongue in cheek comment but I really think there is something to take away from this. Yeah, it's still early in the season. Very early in fact, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.

But, if we see Atlanta struggle in the MLS season while focusing on the CCL run, I think there's more than enough proof at this point that the roster construction rules need to be revisited. MLS' best teams just can't seem to compete in both the CCL and the league and I think it's fair to say MLS really wants one of their clubs to win the CCL.

I'd also argue that, even those most of us on this thread understand the rules to constructing a team in MLS (with TAM, GAM, DPs, Internationals spots, Homegrown, ect) most people don't get it. I honestly don't know how much of a difference that makes to general interest but I have to imagine that it doesn't help.

Look, I'm not one of those guys who says "just let them spend whatever they want". Despite my club being owned by an organization who could afford to spend a lot, it doesn't make financial sense and you want to have some level of competitiveness for the casuals fans but the depth needs to start getting better across the board. 

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

FC Cincinnati joins DC United to have regional streaming through FloSports

Unlike DCU, FC Cincinnati will still have a linear broadcast partner. 

I'm quite happy to live outside of the coverage area for this.