Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

Is St. Louis an actual good soccer city? Or is it like how Cardinals fans wouldn't stop telling everybody that they were the best fans in baseball until the weak-minded started to actually believe it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 No, St. Louis has had a remarkably strong soccer culture dating back to at least WWII. My dad graduated From St. Louis University in the mid 50s and they were known for the strength of their soccer program even back then. Might be hard to tell today (I haven’t been in more than 20 years so I’m not sure), but St. Louis was somewhat of an immigration hub in the early 1900s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Is St. Louis an actual good soccer city? Or is it like how Cardinals fans wouldn't stop telling everybody that they were the best fans in baseball until the weak-minded started to actually believe it?

It's actually a huge soccer city. For generations, the city was a breeding ground for USMNT talent and provided a steady flow of talent to the old NASL. Saint Louis University has more NCAA titles than any other program, with 10. Five of the 11 players that defeated England in a famed 1950 World Cup match hailed from St. Louis.

 

The U.S. Soccer Federation published a nice history of St. Louis' soccer influence a few years ago: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/07/27/12/37/150727-mnt-in-stl-soccer-history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Is St. Louis an actual good soccer city? Or is it like how Cardinals fans wouldn't stop telling everybody that they were the best fans in baseball until the weak-minded started to actually believe it?

It was from the '70s to the '90s for sure as SLU was a powerhouse and Anheuser-Busch's purchase of the soccer park in Fenton in the '80 was a focal point for US soccer and then there was the success of the Steamers in the MISL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, as noted, St. Louis has a claim to the best soccer history in the country. I’d like to see them in MLS if for no other reason than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s actually sort of surprising that St. Louis doesn’t already have an MLS team. That seems like a city early MLS would’ve taken a pretty good look at. I guess with the NFL move momentum already working, that may have quelled that idea.

 

But they can wait. It’s someone else’s turn right now. MLS can give it another summer or two before they’re stuck playing games in that brutal humid mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

It’s actually sort of surprising that St. Louis doesn’t already have an MLS team. That seems like a city early MLS would’ve taken a pretty good look at. I guess with the NFL move momentum already working, that may have quelled that idea.

 

But they can wait. It’s someone else’s turn right now. MLS can give it another summer or two before they’re stuck playing games in that brutal humid mess.

No venue was the biggest hurdle.  In 1993, when the league was organized, St. Louis City and County just finishing both the Kiel Center (now Enterprise Center) and the Dome.  There might have been some West (St. Louis) County municipality willing to build something or St. Charles County, even further west may have elected to build a SSS as opposed to a 10,000 seat arena during MLS's infancy. 

 

If built that far west, it would have been Frisco/FCD before Frisco; same thing if a location in South St. Louis County was available.  If they went to the Illinois side on the Metrolink line (even if available), it would be a Chester/Phila. Union situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

It’s actually sort of surprising that St. Louis doesn’t already have an MLS team. That seems like a city early MLS would’ve taken a pretty good look at. I guess with the NFL move momentum already working, that may have quelled that idea.

 

But they can wait. It’s someone else’s turn right now. MLS can give it another summer or two before they’re stuck playing games in that brutal humid mess.

I'm not sure it can. 

 

It might just be a negotiating tactic, but the Taylor family — the billionaire backers that reignited the city's MLS bid — have said repeatedly that they don't intend to wait around, that it's now or never. Take it for what it's worth, but if there's any truth to that, it might be hard for MLS to pass them up.

 

Also, despite Garber's rhetoric to the contrary, I can't imagine why the league, with two strong bids in front of them, wouldn't just expand to 39 right now. What's the point of sticking to some arbitrary timeline if you've got two groups with their ducks in a row? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not sure it can. 

 

It might just be a negotiating tactic, but the Taylor family — the billionaire backers that reignited the city's MLS bid — have said repeatedly that they don't intend to wait around, that it's now or never. Take it for what it's worth, but if there's any truth to that, it might be hard for MLS to pass them up.

 

Also, despite Garber's rhetoric to the contrary, I can't imagine why the league, with two strong bids in front of them, wouldn't just expand to 39 right now. What's the point of sticking to some arbitrary timeline if you've got two groups with their ducks in a row? 

29*.

 

But the big thing is if you limit the numbers now, #29 becomes a much bigger price tag. That's the point. What if in 10 years that #30 slot is worth $600 million and you gave it away today for $100 million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point go to Sacramento. I think they may be slightly ready than St Louis. They got their billionaire investor that they needed, the stadium I believe is shovel ready and sponsorships are lined up. @Bucfan56 probably has better insight on how ready they are. St Louis can be added after Sacramento, and then add Phoenix to give them 30 and that should be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed no Canadian owners/cities stepping up to try and be one of the MLS expansions teams.

 

I think cities like Edmonton and Ottawa have the potential to be successful MLS markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think expansion is fine, but only because expansion fees are so $$$.

 

I'd much rather see a much bigger TV deal and a subsequent investment in on-field talent. New REEL LINE MINT is a lot of fun, but MLS still doesn't put butts in seats in half its markets, and the TV ratings are butt.

 

These are difficult problems with difficult solutions, and I don't know how Sacramento or St. Louis or Nashville or Miami solves things. What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Disappointed no Canadian owners/cities stepping up to try and be one of the MLS expansions teams.

 

I think cities like Edmonton and Ottawa have the potential to be successful MLS markets.

The initial cost may put them off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got one in the semifinals. Congrats Sporting KC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dilbert said:

At this point go to Sacramento. I think they may be slightly ready than St Louis. They got their billionaire investor that they needed, the stadium I believe is shovel ready and sponsorships are lined up. @Bucfan56 probably has better insight on how ready they are. St Louis can be added after Sacramento, and then add Phoenix to give them 30 and that should be good.

 

Sacramento is absolutely more ready than St. Louis.  They have a stadium ready to go, solid club infrastructure in piece, and only needed to strengthen its ownership group.  Which it did.

 

Theres no justification for Sacramento not being the next one announced.  St. Louis can and should duke it out with Phoenix and Detroit and anyone else who can put a bid together for that last spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Inter Miami CF's proposal to redevelop the Lockhart Stadium site in Ft. Lauderdale is selected over that of John P. Reynal's FXE Futbol plan, the MLS expansion team would play its first two seasons in a new 18,000-seat facility built in the "Venice of America" before moving into its permanent home at Miami Freedom Park.

Inter Miami's ownership group has proposed investing $60-million on a project that would see the demolition of Lockhart and its replacement with a new stadium oriented north-south. After serving as the home pitch for the MLS team during its first two seasons of play, the facility would become home to a USL squad. The complex surrounding the new stadium would include Inter Miami's state-of-the-art training facilities, offices for administrative and technical staff, a free-to-play youth development academy, green space (including a public park and playground), and room for the construction of a restaurant.

Miami Herald
 

Sun-Sentinel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

If Inter Miami CF's proposal to redevelop the Lockhart Stadium site in Ft. Lauderdale is selected over that of John P. Reynal's FXE Futbol plan, the MLS expansion team would play its first two seasons in a new 18,000-seat facility built in the "Venice of America" before moving into its permanent home at Miami Freedom Park.

Inter Miami's ownership group has proposed investing $60-million on a project that would see the demolition of Lockhart and its replacement with a new stadium oriented north-south. After serving as the home pitch for the MLS team during its first two seasons of play, the facility would become home to a USL squad. The complex surrounding the new stadium would include Inter Miami's state-of-the-art training facilities, offices for administrative and technical staff, a free-to-play youth development academy, green space (including a public park and playground), and room for the construction of a restaurant.

Miami Herald
 

Sun-Sentinel

 

This is where i get confused, theyre building an 18k seater in lauderdale and a 20-30k seater in Miami?

 

Whats the point?  Build one and play there.  A USL squad so close to an MLS squad doesnt need 18k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

This is adorable. Remember when Austin Powers was everything?

 

https://youtu.be/tKkOlPCT4uw

 

As an SKC fan, I did feel I needed to be humbled a bit after last night, so this was nice to see.

 

EDIT: Do people still aggressively quote comedies these days? I feel like the last time I remember people doing that was Anchorman, but maybe it's just because I'm older and more out of touch with the common man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

 

 

 

EDIT: Do people still aggressively quote comedies these days? I feel like the last time I remember people doing that was Anchorman, but maybe it's just because I'm older and more out of touch with the common man.

 

Nope. A relic of the pre-superhero era. I think the last comedy that broke through like that was The Hangover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.