Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Yeah, I don’t see a problem with this.  Take the time, get it right.  Nothing wrong with a temporary stadium. 

I wouldn’t think that Nashville would have to be stuck doing the SKC/DC United/Portland/whoever else road trip to start the season since they have the Titans stadium to seemingly work with. It seems like they either realized it was going to take longer all along to open the new stadium or made changes that made it so. Either way, I’m in the camp that would rather they take their time and get it right which seems to be a very popular camp. 

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don’t see a problem with this.  Take the time, get it right.  Nothing wrong with a temporary stadium. 

Nissan Stadium is getting a small renovation.  Small being elevators to the Upper Bowl, and the "glitter factor" which North American venues love to tout...bigger video boards and replacing traditional, illuminated advertising with LED ribbon boards.

1 hour ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Have ESPN+ and FC Cincinnati is blacked out. Pure BS

If you are in the FloSports blackout area, ESPN+ is a no go but supposedly the game was also blacked out outside of the blackout area in Columbus and up in Cleveland too, where it shouldnt have been. Also Star 64 (our over the air broadcast) was blacked out on YouTubeTV and Direct TV Now because of Flos exclusive streaming rights. Apparently some peoples Flo stream was blacked out in the beginning too. We got royally screwed signing the deal with Flo

Aside from the crappy streaming deal, a good game today by FCC with their second straight clean sheet.

Today I made the first of many pilgrimages to Allianz Field - in this case, for a special season ticket holders' event.

The first picture is from just inside the southwest gate. The other two were taken from the highest accessible point in the stadium - the top of the east-side upper deck's center section.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What does it say that FC Cincinnati owns a win at Gillette Stadium and the Cincinnati Bengals do not?

Not much. 

That park is beautiful, BTW. 

5 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

All about that corporate dollar.

It may deal with how Cincy and FloSports wrote up the contract. Columbus was blacked out way outside of the city last year as well. 

8 hours ago, willmorris said:

What does it say that FC Cincinnati owns a win at Gillette Stadium and the Cincinnati Bengals do not?

The Bengals are a joke. Where PBS sits would've been a great spot for the soccer stadium. The Bengals should've went to LA like they were threatening to do in the 90s.

9 hours ago, willmorris said:

Nothing. The Bengals have only played in Gillette Stadium 4 times and never had the good fortune to play a Patriots team as bad as New England Revolution. They beat the Patriots at home in the opening week of the 2001, which was the game before Bledsoe got hurt and two days before 9/11. They also beat them at home in 2013.

I'd never watched a New England Revolution game before yesterday. It's very clear where Robert Kraft's priorities are regarding his soccer team. I don't like to comment on empty seats, but as a new MLS fan it was jarring to go from packed house in Seattle - packed house in Atlanta - packed house in Cincinnati - cavernous empty stadium in Foxboro. Felt like I was watching a Florida Panthers game. 

10 hours ago, Viper said:

spacer.png

This place is awesome. I love how the supporter's section doesn't have seats. Am I seeing that right? 

What's the deal with the lamps? Are they having trouble growing grass in that part of the stadium? 

34 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Nothing. The Bengals have only played in Gillette Stadium 4 times and never had the good fortune to play a Patriots team as bad as New England Revolution. They did win in the old Foxboro stadium in the opening week of the 2001, which was the game before Bledsoe got hurt and two days before 9/11. It's not like they've never won at New England before. 

I'd never watched a New England Revolution game before yesterday. It's very clear where Robert Kraft's priorities are regarding his soccer team. I don't like to comment on empty seats, but as a new MLS fan it was jarring to go from packed house in Seattle - packed house in Atlanta - packed house in Cincinnati - cavernous empty stadium in Foxboro. Felt like I was watching a Florida Panthers game. 

This place is awesome. I love how the supporter's section doesn't have seats. Am I seeing that right? 

What's the deal with the lamps? Are they having trouble growing grass in that part of the stadium? 

Yep, the shadow of the roof shows where the sunlight is lacking. That and it's still Minnesota in March. Even US stadiums w/o roofs and awnings use the system (Lambeau and Baltimore). The pitch runs North/South, so the 18 yard boxes are going to get less sunlight.

Pretty much every northern stadium needs those lights to grow a decent field this time of year.  And the end of the season, as well. 

I take that as a very good sign, they’re working (and spending the money) to ensure the pitch is as good as the rest of the stadium. 

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Pretty much every northern stadium needs those lights to grow a decent field this time of year.  And the end of the season, as well. 

I take that as a very good sign, they’re working (and spending the money) to ensure the pitch is as good as the rest of the stadium. 

Orlando City even has grass lamps

On 3/25/2019 at 8:32 AM, McCarthy said:

Nothing. The Bengals have only played in Gillette Stadium 4 times and never had the good fortune to play a Patriots team as bad as New England Revolution. They beat the Patriots at home in the opening week of the 2001, which was the game before Bledsoe got hurt and two days before 9/11. They also beat them at home in 2013.

Revolution really could use the Chivas USA treatment. Especially now that Bob Kraft is a creep and a laughingstock and torpedoed whatever tiny chance they ever had at a Boston-area stadium.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Revolution really could use the Chivas USA treatment.

Contract and replace with a totally different team, unrelated to the first?  Nah.  There’s nothing wrong with the Revolution that new ownership itself, or a massive amount of cash from the current ownership, wouldn’t fix.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Contract and replace with a totally different team, unrelated to the first?  Nah.  There’s nothing wrong with the Revolution that new ownership itself, or a massive amount of cash from the current ownership, wouldn’t fix.

I thought this for a long time, but I'm coming around to the idea that a total reboot would be even better. The on-field (on-turf) product is close to hopeless; they're somewhere between a punchline and nonexistent in the market at large. Nobody cares except for youth soccer families in MA/RI and a handful of persistent hipsters in Cambridge/Somerville. 

The problem is not just ownership, it's ownership and the stadium and the front office and the brand and the fair-or-not weight of 20+ years preceding. If you gotta clean all that up, may as well start fresh.

Honestly, my impression is this team just fills dates at the stadium and that's good enough for ownership. 

Don't know how you change that without forcing them out somehow and that seems like it would involve lawyers and money....is it worth it? 

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

Honestly, my impression is this team just fills dates at the stadium and that's good enough for ownership. 

Don't know how you change that without forcing them out somehow and that seems like it would involve lawyers and money....is it worth it? 

Oh totally; it's one of those weird pro sports things where the competitive objectives and the business objectives are not at all in alignment.