North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Ya know, John Henry's Fenway Sports Group is kinda busy with Liverpool.

Kroenke owns the Rapids of MLS along with Arsenal, plus obviously NFL, NHL, and NBA teams. Man City co owns about 5 different football clubs around the world including NYCFC. FSG could definitely do something.

6 minutes ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Kroenke owns the Rapids of MLS along with Arsenal, plus obviously NFL, NHL, and NBA teams. Man City co owns about 5 different football clubs around the world including NYCFC. FSG could definitely do something.

FSG is looking to take on minority investors for Liverpool as they still would like to expand the Anfield Road Stand but only have until September to submit the details to local government.

Until that is resolved, nothing will occur and as Brian in Boston alluded to, Garber won't take the franchise away, so it's a discussion to nowhere.

5 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Theyre all operating at different levels of capital. FSG hasn’t really demonstrated any further appetite for expansion, and Henry is also the owner of the Boston Globe and is somewhat hands-on in that capacity. And Fenway Park does a brisk business in concerts in the summer now so I don’t see room for 20 Revs games.

There are of course other billionaire soccer types in Boston. James Pallotta, who co-owns AS Roma, never comes up in these discussions. But I do think it’s all a moot point, unfortunately.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I hate that money is more important than growing the game.

I like that Berhalter has had some initial success, but the enthusiasm I had for USMNT in 2013-2016 is far faded.

Right. I get that all sports exist to move yet more money to the already hyper rich. But the USSF seems particularly hostile to the fan and the on-field product (half of baseball teams are rapidly catching up though) and its pretty clearly holding the game back. Though I should say holding the US game back particularly. Moving Gulati out was unsurprisingly pointless so far.

9 hours ago, Digby said:

Right. I get that all sports exist to move yet more money to the already hyper rich. But the USSF seems particularly hostile to the fan and the on-field product (half of baseball teams are rapidly catching up though) and its pretty clearly holding the game back. Though I should say holding the US game back particularly. Moving Gulati out was unsurprisingly pointless so far.

Replacing Gulati with his hand-picked successor was the pointless part. Moving him out was the perfect move, but everyone knew that Cordeiro wouldn't change anything... meaning they continue to roll in money without actually giving two :censored:s about the on-field product.

ExJworW.png

9 hours ago, Digby said:

Theyre all operating at different levels of capital. FSG hasn’t really demonstrated any further appetite for expansion, and Henry is also the owner of the Boston Globe and is somewhat hands-on in that capacity. And Fenway Park does a brisk business in concerts in the summer now so I don’t see room for 20 Revs games.

There are of course other billionaire soccer types in Boston. James Pallotta, who co-owns AS Roma, never comes up in these discussions. But I do think it’s all a moot point, unfortunately.

I think Palotta just doesn't want to deal with the MLS leadership unless he can have his way 100%. He's also been trying to get Roma a new stadium for years now and I think he just wants to stay focused on them until he gets it done. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Digby said:

I was thinking FSG would try to build a SSS instead of using Fenway, at least long term. Granted, there's not a lot of land and that's an extra couple hundread million to spend.

13 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

I was thinking FSG would try to build a SSS instead of using Fenway, at least long term. Granted, there's not a lot of land and that's an extra couple hundread million to spend.

The problem for anyone - FSG included - hoping to build a soccer-specific stadium for a Major League Soccer franchise within the Boston urban core is the dearth of large plots of privately-held, developable land. 

I read a report five or six years ago that said public entities - a variety of federal, state, and municipal agencies and departments - control upwards of 54% of the land in the City of Boston. These entities largely control and protect historic land, cultural buildings, and property where it is deemed that the interests of the citizenry are best served by public stewardship. 

Within the 46% of privately-held land, space dedicated to residential development is vast, with the percentage of private holdings committed to commercial development small by comparison. Mixed-use development has historically been an even greater rarity within the confines of Boston proper. 

Further, the top 5 private landholders own just 4.5% of the areas in Boston that are classified as private property.

So, all of this being said, what's to realistically be done about getting a soccer-specific stadium built within the confines of the City of Boston?  

One of the largest contiguous plots of privately-held, developable land in Boston is HYM Investment Group's 161-acre Suffolk Downs property. It actually straddles the border between the East Boston neighborhood and the adjacent municipality of Revere. Frankly, If I were the Krafts - or, some new potential owner(s) of the New England Revolution - I'd be trying to negotiate a partnership with HYM that would support the siting of a soccer-specific stadium within the confines of the proposed development. Otherwise, I fear that opportunities for an MLS franchise to set-up shop inside the borders of Boston proper are only going to become less likely to materialize.

People always talk Kraft or Henry but the fact is the Revs need an investor who's also a bigtime/probably corrupt Boston developer. There's a pretty big reason that Bob Kraft and Steve Pagliuca were both second bananas to the Suffolk Construction CEO when Boston was trying for the Olympics.

Also I'm really sorry this thread is just about beating up on the Revs, but get a load of this Brad Friedel quote.

The mentality of a player in this league, a lot of the players, when they lose, it doesn’t hurt enough. There’s not relegation, they don’t get fined, they don’t have fans waiting by their cars, they don’t have people beating them up. They don’t have the pressures they have in other leagues.

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

The problem for anyone - FSG included - hoping to build a soccer-specific stadium for a Major League Soccer franchise within the Boston urban core is the dearth of large plots of privately-held, developable land. 

Yeah,  tell me about it.  😡

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Also I'm really sorry this thread is just about beating up on the Revs, but get a load of this Brad Friedel quote.

The mentality of a player in this league, a lot of the players, when they lose, it doesn’t hurt enough. There’s not relegation, they don’t get fined, they don’t have fans waiting by their cars, they don’t have people beating them up. They don’t have the pressures they have in other leagues.

I'd say that depends on the market but yeah...there is still some places where that applies. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Toronto crapped the bed in 2018, but are undefeated so far and their new DP Alejandro Pozuelo had the greatest MLS debut of all time (sorry Zlatan):

SKC doesn't have an undefeated record, but they did blow out Montreal 7-1 today. Yikes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Carlos Vela is too good. My goodness. 

He had an insane left footed curler from out the box to complete his hat-trick today. 

LAFC dominated SJ today to remain undefeated. Let’s get it. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Carlos Vela is too good. My goodness. 

He had an insane left footed curler from out the box to complete his hat-trick today. 

LAFC dominated SJ today to remain undefeated. Let’s get it. 

Looking forward to the Timbers first home match of the season against LAFC on June 1. Timbers in LA to play the Galaxy tomorrow and then on to San Jose next week to play the lousy Quakes. 

7 minutes ago, Wings said:

Looking forward to the Timbers first home match of the season against LAFC on June 1. Timbers in LA Carson to play the Galaxy tomorrow and then on to San Jose next week to play the lousy Quakes. 

Fixed it for you😝

Meanwhile FC Cincinnati looked horrible against Philadelphia tonight in the pouring rain and we got Kansas City next who crushed Montreal 7-1 today. OOF.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived