Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Let’s face it, guys, the European naming styles are very much an attempt by MLS teams to be “taken seriously” by Euro/Latin American fans.


Said attempt is doomed to fail. Soccer fans from the sport's strongholds in European or Latin American nations aren't going to take MLS franchises any more "seriously" based simply upon the names of the teams. It would take a significant improvement in the quality of play in MLS in order to win over such fans.

As for American and Canadian fans of club teams competing in European and Latin American leagues, what little headway Major League Soccer's adoption of European naming styles will make with such supporters will simply give way to them pissing and moaning about the lack of promotion-relegation in MLS, or some such perceived shortcoming on the part of the league in their eyes.
 

Quote

It’s an overcorrection at this point, but I don’t mind it.

     
To each their own. I do mind it. Partly because it is an overcorrection... partly due to what I consider the lazy default adoption of FC/SC/United by so many teams.

Still, given the fact that we have a 24-team (soon to be 27 and counting) domestic soccer competition of Major League Soccer's longevity to support, I can deal with harboring gripes about franchise branding.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Said attempt is doomed to fail. Soccer fans from the sport's strongholds in European or Latin American nations aren't going to take MLS franchises any more "seriously" based simply upon the names of the teams. It would take a significant improvement in the quality of play in MLS in order to win over such fans.

 

Based on my experience, I think you're absolutely wrong there.

 

We have many fans in Yankee Stadium who come from foreign countries, and have adopted our club as their local.  Nobody feels compelled to abandon their hometown club, but there's something special about supporting your local side.  Especially in England, there's a strong tradition here, and they've carried that to our little burg.

 

Fans from foreign countries aren't the problem.  They meet the league on its own terms.  It's the tiny but vocal minority of pro/rel truthers who insist that the product isn't wrth their support, but we don't particularly need them anyway.

 

35 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

As for American and Canadian fans of club teams competing in European and Latin American leagues, what little headway Major League Soccer's adoption of European naming styles will make with such supporters will simply give way to them pissing and moaning about the lack of promotion-relegation in MLS, or some such perceived shortcoming on the part of the league in their eyes.

 

In my experience, many, many fans in the stands are also fans of European or Latin American leagues.   There are always the newbies just getting into the sport, but anyone who loved it before 2013 already had a team they followed.  And there's no problem following one club far away and another club in your own city.

 

Except for the handful of pro/rel-ers.  And seriously, :censored: those guys.  We don't need them, we don't want them.  And fortunately, the league couldn't care less about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

 

I would be really surprised if the Cubs didn't step in.  Right away.

 

Even if the Ricketts joined the ownership group, MLB would require them to defend and not dilute their trademarks.  Just like we were forced to alter our monogram after it came out too closely to the Yankees'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a big chance that logo is total nonsense, and you're right. It's a nice look but the Cubs can't let that stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's the tiny but vocal minority of pro/rel truthers who insist that the product isn't wrth their support, but we don't particularly need them anyway.

🤦‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Except for the handful of pro/rel-ers.  And seriously, :censored: those guys.  We don't need them, we don't want them.  And fortunately, the league couldn't care less about them.

 

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what would be fun? If the Cubs got in on MLS ownership and the relocated team was Chicago Cubs SC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

FC Dallas >>>> Dallas Burn, while Sporting Kansas City is far more dignified than the goofy “Wizards.”

 

Okay, Wiz was the most egregious, but Sporting isn't dignified, it's just nonsense picked because it sounds soccery. I don't think there was anything wrong with Wizards apart from their lack of a real logo! And the rainbow sleeves ruled!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I would be really surprised if the Cubs didn't step in.  Right away.

 

58 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

t's a nice look but the Cubs can't let that stand.


I am not saying that this is real.  But when I saw the logo of the New York Lizards, after they changed their name from the Long Island Lizards, I was sure that the Yankees were going to shut that down.

Related image

 

Yet nothing like that happened.

 

The world of trademarks works in a weird way, far beyond my comprehension.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a greater difference between the Yanks logo and that NYL than there is the proposed soccer crest and the Cubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago Fire is one of the few good old-line MLS names. "Chicago City" would be lame as hell and sounds alien to my ears. At least give us "Windy City." Oh, and as mentioned, great way to get sued by the Cubs, if the Rickettslings can stop writing snide emails to each other about not getting enough attention.

 

EDIT: Oh also, they seem to be moving back to Soldier Field, awesome, just what that engineering failure of a stadium needs, more wear on the grass it can't sustain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you paste that link as plain text, it’ll automatically embed the tweet.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the diversity overall, but strange that Halifax and Pacific have the same clash kit, down to the advertiser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kits look nice, but I'm disappointed to learn the broadcast partner is...a new paid streaming service (that will also show the national team, Canadian Championship, League 1 Ontario). How many paid streaming services do soccer fans need to have to follow the game???

 

(For reference: http://onesoccer.ca/ )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

 

Take a look around MLS and tell me which way the branding conventions of the league have been trending.

North American Branding
Colorado Rapids
Houston Dynamo
Los Angeles Galaxy
Montréal Impact
New England Revolution
Philadelphia Union
Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes

International Branding
Atlanta United FC
Austin FC
D.C. United
FC Cincinnati
FC Dallas
Inter Miami CF
Los Angeles FC
Minnesota United FC

Nashville SC
New York City FC
Orlando City SC
Real Salt Lake
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC

Corporate Branding
New York Red Bulls

North American / International Amalgam
Chicago Fire Soccer Club (rumored to be rebranding as Chicago City FC)
Columbus Crew SC
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC



 

I’d put Dynamo in the amalgam section. Traditional European name but with North American city/nickname conventions. Union and MLS hopeful Republic could also make a case for the amalgam section. I don’t think teams adding SC/FC to their nickname really matters, 95% of the time the team is referred to with the nickname. 

 

Chicago Fire is one of the better original MLS nicknames, and it would be a shame to see it go. However embarrassed MLS might be of its early days, the traditional franchises should be celebrating their history, not trying to jump on the bandwagon to try to reboot.

 

As I’ve said many times, there’s a vast assortment of international football names if MLS thinks it needs to gain legitimacy with international  fans that dismiss it. There’s no need to fossilize on United, City and plain FC. Inter Miami was a positive step in this direction. FC Cincinnati 16 or Angeleno FC would have spruced up the league more than the same old naming conventions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexandre said:

The kits look nice, but I'm disappointed to learn the broadcast partner is...a new paid streaming service (that will also show the national team, Canadian Championship, League 1 Ontario). How many paid streaming services do soccer fans need to have to follow the game???

 

(For reference: http://onesoccer.ca/ )

4 now? NBC, ESPN, onesoccer, I'm sure there are others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If you paste that link as plain text, it’ll automatically embed the tweet.  

 

 

Valour are my favorite look so far. They have that Roma/Galtasaray feel to them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

4 now? NBC, ESPN, onesoccer, I'm sure there are others. 

FloSports, FoxSports,YouTubeTV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know who the Tim Hortons team is but I’ll be first in line to buy the shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.