Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

I have a source close to the team who told me the night of the first game against Seattle that Koch is a "Humorless, self-impressed douche who doesn't know anything about soccer on this level and the players f****** hate him." So I don't know if any of that is true, but I did get that vibe from watching their body language with him these last few games. I was beginning to think he'd be fired after the season. I'm only surprised that they did it this soon. 

Sounds like they want to make a big splash for the new stadium in 2021 and it didn't look like he was going to be the guy to carry the team to that point so it's better to change course now than wait until the offseason, I guess. 

Knew they were having trouble on the field but didnt realize they had issues in the locker room. Koch was a good coach at the USL level but at the MLS level is leadership honestly wasnt that great. Hopefully we can find a new coach soon. Im not sure Yoann Damet would be good at an interim level but he's all we got right now.

Edit: Yoann Damet came to FCC from the Montreal Impact in March 2017, and will make his interim coaching debut on Saturday against Montreal.

Two years ago, when the Timbers surprisingly parted ways with Caleb Porter, I was certain it's because Porter, former longtime head coach at U of Akron, had been lined up to lead the Cincinnati expansion effort. I was surprised to see they'd kept their USL coach in place. 

Seems like a missed opportunity now. 

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Two years ago, when the Timbers surprisingly parted ways with Caleb Porter, I was certain it's because Porter, former longtime head coach at U of Akron, had been lined up to lead the Cincinnati expansion effort. I was surprised to see they'd kept their USL coach in place. 

Seems like a missed opportunity now. 

I think a lot of people were in that same boat regarding Porter. There were rumors at the time that NYRB were after Koch, and I think the team didn't want to risk losing him, so they gave him a deal that maybe Koch wasn't ready for. I think the Reds did this same thing with Bryan Price a few years ago. Some guys excel at certain positions or at certain levels, but aren't ready for more responsibility/broader success at another level or position.

Posted (edited)

Here's the actual event. It's so sad looking, it is too funny.

H/T: LeBatardShow twitter

Edited by dfwabel
tweet added

I unfortunately can't be in attendance, but I just want to mention how cool it is to see the Little Rock Rangers in the US Open Cup for the first time, and being able to watch it on ESPN+.

eBiHwY6.jpg

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So Inter Miami is actually going to play?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.

I still have my doubts.

Once Miami gets up and running it'll be a destination spot.

9 minutes ago, Wings said:

Once Miami gets up and running it'll be a destination spot.

I read somewhere that Beckham wants either Ronaldo or Messi. 

They have 10 months to rebuild that stadium. 

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I would like to let it be known that I too want Ronaldo and/or Messi. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Again, Ronaldo isn't stepping foot in the USA as there's an active warrant for his DNA in a rape case. 

In other Inter Miami news, they have narrowed the coaching search down to three but won't disclose names.

Edited by dfwabel
link added

If it's not Ronaldo, I would be totally surprised if Beckham doesn't pursue Neymar once his contract with PSG is over......if he can't get Messi.

I get the feeling that Beckham is going to try to land a big name, whether it's a coach or player. 

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If it's not Ronaldo, I would be totally surprised if Beckham doesn't pursue Neymar once his contract with PSG is over......if he can't get Messi.

I get the feeling that Beckham is going to try to land a big name, whether it's a coach or player. 

Either way, Miami isn't going to be like FC Dallas and sign a South American player from a 4th division league in South America to fill their DP slots. 

Until they take the field, I will not believe Miami is a real team. They’ve “existed” since 2014.

Some quotes pulled from The Athletic article on Koch's firing:

Anonymous Former FCC USL player 1: “I can’t say I’d be surprised if he was fired”, “He doesn’t have an identity as a coach, so it’s very hard for his team to have an identity.”

Anonymous Former FCC USL player 2: “It was very difficult and chaotic playing for him”, “Every week the lineups changed and so did tactics and formations. It felt like he played a lot of mind games with guys as well, which was strange. His incompetence really came out in big games. The real reason for all of our success came down to the players and the assistant Yoann Damet. Without him, we would have been in big trouble. We won a lot, so nobody asked questions. However, this was always going to happen. You can only fake it for so long until you get found out; sure enough, he did.”

Anonymous USL Coach: “Watching Cincinnati play in 2018 was a soul-crushing experience,” "The coach continued by saying he would have given anything for the chance to manage that roster."

yikes. That seems to corroborate what my friend told me during the Seattle game. Glad we got that guy out of here.