North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

How long has Red Bull Arena been tarping off sections of the stadium? Didn't think that would be necessary for a game against NYCFC in which both clubs are contenders in the East.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Especially when the Fire are contending for the World Cup!

If that were the case, they'd only sell out Soldier Field if they relocated to Mexico first. (And got ownership that wasn't enthusiastically banhammering the main Hispanic supporters group )

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Because there’s no way attendance goes down at Soldier Field. 

Why not? Soldier Field is as unpleasant to get to by car as Bridgeview is, tickets will probably cost more (not counting parking), and some people may not like watching soccer on a field that doesn't drain right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

How long has Red Bull Arena been tarping off sections of the stadium? Didn't think that would be necessary for a game against NYCFC in which both clubs are contenders in the East.

It’s pathetic.  Maybe because it’s still two plus hours to get to Brooklyn from the stadium after the match, which is inexcusable. 

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, I would dispute that Soldier Field is as bad as Bridgeview by car.  But more importantly, Soldier Field is actually accessible by the L, which will make a great deal of difference.

Pace (suburban bus system) has run direct shuttle buses from the CTA Orange Line terminal at Midway to Toyota/SeatGeek for all matches since the Fire moved there. Soldier Field also requires a minimum of one train and one bus to access, or no train and two buses if a person doesn't live along the #130 or the #146.

Every local street through Grant Park gets closed off for weeks at a time during the summer for Taste of Chicago, Lolla, and other events, pushing more traffic on Lake Shore Drive. Also, most summer weekends also feature concerts on the adjacent Northerly Island, driving more traffic to the area. It is a much more hectic area and more aggravating drive during what will be the peak of MLS season.

If there's anything else you'd like to tell the Chicagoans in this thread about transportation options to and from the city's sporting venues, please continue.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It’s pathetic.  Maybe because it’s still two plus hours to get to Brooklyn from the stadium after the match, which is inexcusable. 

Wow that sucks. Sounds like about the amount of time it takes me to get home (in DC) from FedEx Field (Landover, MD) after going to a Skins game.

While we're on the subject, has there bee any new developments on a NYCFC stadium?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Wow that sucks. Sounds like about the amount of time it takes me to get home (in DC) from FedEx Field (Landover, MD) after going to a Skins game.

While we're on the subject, has there bee any new developments on a NYCFC stadium?

Lots of smoke right now.  But given how the last couple deals were blown up by leaks, there won’t be any news next time until it’s all over. 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:35 PM, Gothamite said:

Oh, I would dispute that Soldier Field is as bad as Bridgeview by car.  But more importantly, Soldier Field is actually accessible by the L, which will make a great deal of difference.

I was in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend and wanted to check out Soldier Field.  The walk from the Red Line at Roosevelt while not long for me who walks a lot to begin with, was both over a mile and not terribly direct having to meander through the park.  Reminded me of that time I walked from Wrigley Field to Addison on the Brown Line to avoid the crowds on the Red and underestimated the distance semi-badly.  

I guess where I'm going with this is while it's accessible to the L in theory I think a lot of people would prefer a bus in addition to the train.

At a presser today, Nelson Rodriguez stated that though the Fire are now out of their pact with Bridgeview, an arrangement to play in Soldier Field next season has not been finalized. Additionally, Rodriguez said there is no focus yet on getting the club a soccer-specific stadium.

As for the on-field stuff, the Fire drew Columbus 2-2, conceding the tying goal in the 89th minute. That means they took 1 point from back-to-back home matches against the only teams below them in the East.

Playing the attendance game, the Fire came into tonight's match dead last in MLS, averaging a team-reported 11,572 per match. Tonight's announced crowd was 7,482.

54 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

At a presser today, Nelson Rodriguez stated that though the Fire are now out of their pact with Bridgeview, an arrangement to play in Soldier Field next season has not been finalized. Additionally, Rodriguez said there is no focus yet on getting the club a soccer-specific stadium.

I feel like what they wanted to do in the long run here was jack up the prices, price out the Latino supporters and the suburban family-fun-pack types, and go hard after PMC city folk with a more prestige-branded, less old-line-MLS team. But now there's no SSS at Lincoln Yards coming and it's too late to change course, and unlike Seattle or Portland where there are holes in the Big Four representation, Chicagoans are already happy to pay too much money to see the Bears, Cubs, Hawks, and Bulls.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, dfwabel said:

This looks awesome. I must say I'm pretty excited about this. They put it in my preferred location, the match days in OTR are going to be bonkers fun for home fans and visiting fans alike, and I think the actual design is much better than the initial releases. I think they could use more brick on the bottom parts to better match the surrounding buildings, but that's not a huge deal. 

Not that Nippert Stadium isn't an almost perfect venue as is (excluding the turf). I kind of like that we'll have this season and next to appreciate it before we get our palace. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, alxy8s said:

spacer.png

Ha. Can’t remember seeing that before. 

It's called "pulling a Predators."

15 hours ago, alxy8s said:

spacer.png

Ha. Can’t remember seeing that before. 

It’s because there were a bunch of (fake)* stories about Orlando fans doing a ton of bad things to NYCFC fans after the Open Cup game. Since Atlanta fans have even more of a history of violence here than NYCFC fans do, this is probably why they’re doing it.

*How do we know they were fake? Despite claims that NYCFC employees were injured, no official report was filed by the club. Despite claims of injury and theft, not a single 911 call was made in regards to these “attacks”. There has been no statement by either club, the police, or MLS as a whole. It’s pretty obvious that these events never happened.

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

. I think they could use more brick on the bottom parts to better match the surrounding buildings, but that's not a huge deal. 

Or lots of trash and graffiti.

Archived