Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mls/article233038467.html

Matias Pellegrini, a 19-year-old Argentine winger, met with Inter Miami officials in Miami on Monday, passed a physical and agreed to join David Beckham’s new Major League Soccer team in January 2020, according to Pellegrini’s current club, Estudiantes.

“The club Estudiantes de La Plata has learned that player Matias Pellegrini passed his medical exams with Inter Miami and returned to his country (to continue the season),” said the statement. “The player traveled to the United States with our team official Diego Ronderos, passed the tests, and now awaits the final details for his transfer to MLS...Pellegrini, who trained Tuesday with his club, will begin playing for his new club in January 2020.”

RSL coach Mike Petke has been suspended for two additional weeks (total of 3 MLS games) for apparently using a certain Spanish homophobic slur towards match officials in their Leagues Cup game.

(RSL is suspending him from all team activity for two weeks without pay, in addition.)

Doubt there's an announcement today like the tweet says, but this is encouraging.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Petke got off light. 

Yeah. Given what I've heard he supposedly said, I think he's on his last legs in Utah.

22 minutes ago, Maroon said:

Doubt there's an announcement today like the tweet says, but this is encouraging.

How the :censored: is that even possible? 

31 minutes ago, Maroon said:

According to SBJ/SBD "Morning Buzzcast" podcast, expansion was not an agenda item for the Governors today.

OK, now I have to ask.

With as shovel-ready as Sacramento has been for years, what's the freaking holdup in putting Republic FC in? It can't be something as simple as "their owners aren't rich enough", can it?

2 minutes ago, willmorris said:

OK, now I have to ask.

With as shovel-ready as Sacramento has been for years, what's the freaking holdup in putting Republic FC in? It can't be something as simple as "their owners aren't rich enough", can it?

Yes, it can.  And with good reason; MLS clubs are spending fortunes on infrastructure: facilities and academies, among other things. They’re all running deficits now, losing money in the short-term while investing in the future. The league wants to know that the incoming clubs can keep up. 

2 hours ago, willmorris said:

OK, now I have to ask.

Yes.

40 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Yeah. Given what I've heard he supposedly said, I think he's on his last legs in Utah.

Better be.  This is absolutely the kind of thing that should cost him the job.  If reports are accurate. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:
2 hours ago, willmorris said:

Better be.  This is absolutely the kind of thing that should cost him the job.  If reports are accurate. 

You guys would appear to be alluding to some kind of racist or homophobic comments, as that's the only sort of comment that should cost a coach his job. But I am seeing no such allegations in the stories I have read.

If he used standard foul language, then sacking is a bit much. Saying the f-word to a ref should probably get a coach a red card; but it should not get him fired.

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You guys would appear to be alluding to some kind of racist or homophobic comments, as that's the only sort of comment that should cost a coach his job. But I am seeing no such allegations in the stories I have read.

Reports are that he used the infamous homophobic Spanish term that so disgraces our sport.  He yelled it at the officials first on the pitch, then again in the tunnel after the fact.   I wouldn’t wish his sacking for anything less. 

Just now, Gothamite said:

Reports are that he used the infamous homophobic Spanish term that so disgraces our sport.  First on the pitch, then again in the tunnel after the fact.   I wouldn’t wish his sacking for anything less. 

I wonder when FIFA will start penalizing Mexican clubs and the national team for using that chant.

I know it's not all clubs, but MLS for YSA out of the game. Why do we still tolerate the P word?

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Why do we still tolerate the P word?

I don’t know.  We shouldn’t.

41 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I have a friend and colleague from my days as a broadcaster who has worked in Salt Lake City for the better part of six years. He was in attendance at the RSL-Tigres match last Wednesday and I can confirm that, according to what said friend has told me, Petke repeatedly directed a homophobic slur at the referee following the game.

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Reports are that he used the infamous homophobic Spanish term that so disgraces our sport.  He yelled it at the officials first on the pitch, then again in the tunnel after the fact.   I wouldn’t wish his sacking for anything less. 

If you are a lip reader, it sure appears he said it numerous times.

https://streamable.com/8zsj8?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Petke's rant last year at Minnesota doesn't help him. 

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Reports are that he used the infamous homophobic Spanish term that so disgraces our sport.

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I can confirm that, according to what said friend has told me, Petke repeatedly directed a homophobic slur at the referee following the game.

Got it. I don't know why the reports I read were so circumspect that they failed to communicate the issue. I got the impression it was just "f you" and "MF".

But I thank you for the clarification. Given this information, I certainly agree that sacking is appropriate.

4 hours ago, willmorris said:

OK, now I have to ask.

The opposite of that is pretty much exactly what jumped Nashville SC to the head of the line in their expansion bid. It pretty much was the first thing out of Garner's mouth at the official announcement: "his wealth..."--and then Garbee went on to laud the energy of the city and all that yadda yadda.

But it definitely seems to be all about the benjamins currency now (which was inevitable).