Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

On 9/7/2019 at 4:23 PM, Digby said:

I went to tune into the Revs/NYCFC match only to find it's not available locally on English-language TV. It's on Univision in Spanish but I don't get that channel. Thought MLS was past the point of untelevised games in local markets. The 90s really are back!

 

Univision has local affiliates in both New York and Boston. So anyone in the teams' home areas who has cable can receive this network.

 

This was the first time that I saw a game on Univision on which the English-language commentary was on the primary audio stream, with the Spanish-language commentary on the SAP stream.  Usually it's the other way around.  But this time, on the the primary audio stream the pregame and halftime presentations were in Spanish, but the game commentary was in English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

It was streaming on Twitter. 

 

I found this around minute 42. Not useful for the Roku.

 

 

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Univision has local affiliates in both New York and Boston. So anyone in the teams' home areas who has cable can receive this network.

 

This was the first time that I saw a game on Univision on which the English-language commentary was on the primsry audio stream, with the Spanish-language commentary on the SAP stream.  Usually it's the other way around.  But this time, on the the primary audio stream the pregame and halftime presentations were in Spanish, but the game commentary was in English.

 

I'm on that cordcutting beat, and Univision isn't carried by YouTube TV, I learned, even though all the other local networks are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

 

I found this around minute 42. Not useful for the Roku.

 

 

 

I'm on that cordcutting beat, and Univision isn't carried by YouTube TV, I learned, even though all the other local networks are.

You need a digital antenna to complete your cordcutting then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, willmorris said:

Could THIS be the news that @Bucfan56 has been waiting for?

 

An MLS expansion press conference cannot happen unless Taylor Twellman is there to introduce the expansion team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this was already posted, but I haven't seen it: Rumors are that after being an unpaid consultant for the #MLS4THELOU bid and now retiring for USSF, Dan Flynn is expected to take a position with the St. Louis MLS team, likely as team president. As a future fan of said club, I find this very exciting. More than a few people on twitter see it as shady that Flynn would advocate for a team to exist, then leave his current job to run the new team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what Ive heard Sacramento discussions with MLS are basically done, and they are just working on territorial rights with San Jose. Id expect to hear an announcement very soon but @Bucfan56 probably knows more than I do at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

From what Ive heard Sacramento discussions with MLS are basically done, and they are just working on territorial rights with San Jose. Id expect to hear an announcement very soon but @Bucfan56 probably knows more than I do at this point.

 

Sounds like Sunday/Monday are going to be the dates. We have a somewhat random home match this Sunday, and then Monday is 9-16 (916 is our area code). 

 

 

All just speculation at this point. I won’t believe a word of it until anything is official. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not sure if this fits the topic. But it's the closest we can get. Anyway, couldn't agree more with this tweet. There's no good reason to keep putting a limited number of games in venues that are bad for soccer, full stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

 

Not sure if this fits the topic. But it's the closest we can get. Anyway, couldn't agree more with this tweet. There's no good reason to keep putting a limited number of games in venues that are bad for soccer, full stop.

 

As much as I love whenever soccer comes to Busch, I also have no idea why they insist on frequently playing in baseball stadiums when there are plenty of soccer pitches available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully that'll be solved by the STL MLS stadium in a few years. Probably not considering the federation still loves big stadia for mystery reasons. When was the last time the men's team drew a crowd that couldn't fit in an MLS building, games with Mexico excluded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other option in St Louis would be the dome, so I get why they'd opt for Busch in that case.

 

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Busch were the ones who reached out to the USMNT to play there. When Arkansas State hosted Mizzou in football, Busch Stadium tried to pay for that game to be moved up to St. Louis. I believe that's how it's usually worked when we've had college games in Chicago at both of the baseball stadiums and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a scenario that everyone knew was coming since May/June, LAFC officially clinched the West with Minnesota’s loss tonight. 

 

And with that, a spot in the upcoming Champions League and a first round bye in the MLS Playoffs. 

 

This season has been a dream and so much fun. 

 

At this point, the Supporter’s Shield would be nice, and to break the all-time points record, but I’d rather see LAFC heal up and ready themselves for the playoffs. So still try to win out, but focus on the playoffs above all else. 

 

Anything else than the Cup, will be a failure. 

 

EDIT: lolGalaxy lost again tonight and fell below the playoff line. Seems they are only world beaters against LAFC and trash against everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

EDIT: lolGalaxy lost again tonight and fell below the playoff line. Seems they are only world beaters against LAFC and trash against everyone else. 

 

This has been the most baffling thing about the Galaxy over these past couple seasons. Just look at how hard they choked in the final game last year. It's a lot like how the Patriots always struggle in Miami for no apparent reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The other option in St Louis would be the dome, so I get why they'd opt for Busch in that case.

 

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Busch were the ones who reached out to the USMNT to play there. When Arkansas State hosted Mizzou in football, Busch Stadium tried to pay for that game to be moved up to St. Louis. I believe that's how it's usually worked when we've had college games in Chicago at both of the baseball stadiums and such.

 

I think that's probably correct ... but if there isn't a suitable venue in the city for a game, maybe play it elsewhere? At least the women's team got a suitable capacity to make a little more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hauptman: out.

 

Andrew Hauptman has sold his stake in the Chicago Fire to Joe Mansuelo, and no longer has any role with the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.