Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Hasnt MLS already said that no more teams will become United. 

 

Not that I’m aware.  Where did you hear that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Not that I’m aware.  Where did you hear that?

It's one of those rumors that says there's too many City's and United's in the league, which I agree with, but I don't think the MLS has stated in the press that they won't allow it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like the on-the-pitch benefits of having a semi-integrated level 2 team outweigh the commercial benefits of cultivating a minor-league team. Which kind of surprises me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

The STL MLS franchise is looking for name input: 

 

My submission:


 

Quote

 

Suggestion: Olympique Saint Louis
 

Explain: Saint Louis has a deep French connection that runs through its history, iconography, and identity. Whatever name is adopted by this great city's MLS team should draw from that legacy as it looks both to the cultural past and bright future of St. Louis. Olympique Saint Louis (or Olympique StL for short) would reflect French clubs such as Olympique Lyonnais, Olympique de Marseille, and Nîmes Olympique, while also hearkening back to the 1904 Olympics that St. Louis cherishes as a part of its history. Finally, Olympique Saint Louis would be a way to forge an identity for this MLS club that adheres to traditional naming conventions, but while also avoiding identities that have become commonplace in MLS, such as FC or SC.
 

Other Comments: Some speculation has been raised that "Olympique" may be difficult or impossible to utilize due to legal issues with the Olympic Committee. While that would be disappointing, it is understandable. If that is the case, then I still would urge for an identity that draws from the city's French cultural heritage. Other options could be Association Sportive Saint Louis (AS Saint Louis), Stade Saint Louis (Stade StL), or Avenir Sportif Saint Louis (AS Saint Louis or Avenir StL). Either way, my hope is that this club will be able to create an identity that both utilizes traditional naming conventions, but also remain unique to Saint Louis rather than resorting to a name that may be found anywhere else in MLS.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North Texas SC (FC Dallas II club) of League One will be moving to Globe Life Park in Arlington (Rangers old ballpark) for 2020. Thats gonna be a very empty ballpark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

North Texas SC (FC Dallas II club) of League One will be moving to Globe Life Park in Arlington (Rangers old ballpark) for 2020. Thats gonna be a very empty ballpark.

 

Not exactly.  It will host the XFL Dallas Renegades and there have been reports that Globe Life Park will also be the new home of Arlington ISD football to replace UT-Arlington's Maverick Stadium, although that is only speculation at this point. There has also been speculation that if UT-Arlington was to bring football back, they would play at Globe Life Park.  There has been some speculation that Globe Life Park could also be used as a practice facility for NFL teams playing against the Dallas Cowboys too. I've read somewhere that when there are no sports, it will be used as a secondary concert venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

Not exactly.  It will host the XFL Dallas Renegades and there have been reports that Globe Life Park will also be the new home of Arlington ISD football to replace UT-Arlington's Maverick Stadium, although that is only speculation at this point. There has also been speculation that if UT-Arlington was to bring football back, they would play at Globe Life Park.  There has been some speculation that Globe Life Park could also be used as a practice facility for NFL teams playing against the Dallas Cowboys too. I've read somewhere that when there are no sports, it will be used as a secondary concert venue.

I'm glad they don' have plans to just bulldoze it then. Arlington's also been advertising itself a lot in South Texas as a getaway destination, separate from the rest of North texas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm glad they don' have plans to just bulldoze it then. Arlington's also been advertising itself a lot in South Texas as a getaway destination, separate from the rest of North texas. 

 

Pretty much,  Arlington has Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Jerry World, Globe Life Field, Globe Life Park and now Arlington will be the home of the Medal of Honor Museum.  North Texas SC joins the Cowboys, Rangers, XFL Renegades and WNBA's Dallas Wings in Arlington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

 

Pretty much,  Arlington has Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Jerry World, Globe Life Field, Globe Life Park and now Arlington will be the home of the Medal of Honor Museum.  North Texas SC joins the Cowboys, Rangers, XFL Renegades and WNBA's Dallas Wings in Arlington. 

And North Texas SC could be in better shape than FC Dallas facility-wise, at least on gamedays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frisco itself is a sports hub as well, although not as big as Arlington.  FC Dallas makes their home in Frisco, obviously, but the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars also have close ties to Frisco.  The Cowboys and Stars have their regular training sites there and the Rangers and Mavericks have minor league teams that play there.  Toyota Stadium, where FC Dallas plays is also the home of the Frisco Bowl and the FCS National Championship Game and the National Soccer Hall of Fame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

North Texas SC (FC Dallas II club) of League One will be moving to Globe Life Park in Arlington (Rangers old ballpark) for 2020. Thats gonna be a very empty ballpark.

 

Yeah... even a good USL crowd will be swallowed in a 49,000 seat converted ballpark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Yeah... even a good USL crowd will be swallowed in a 49,000 seat converted ballpark. 

 

When the conversion is done, the capacity will be 25,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maroon said:
Quote

 

Suggestion: Olympique Saint Louis
 

Explain: Saint Louis has a deep French connection that runs through its history, iconography, and identity. Whatever name is adopted by this great city's MLS team should draw from that legacy as it looks both to the cultural past and bright future of St. Louis. Olympique Saint Louis (or Olympique StL for short) would reflect French clubs such as Olympique Lyonnais, Olympique de Marseille, and Nîmes Olympique, while also hearkening back to the 1904 Olympics that St. Louis cherishes as a part of its history. Finally, Olympique Saint Louis would be a way to forge an identity for this MLS club that adheres to traditional naming conventions, but while also avoiding identities that have become commonplace in MLS, such as FC or SC.
 

Other Comments: Some speculation has been raised that "Olympique" may be difficult or impossible to utilize due to legal issues with the Olympic Committee. While that would be disappointing, it is understandable. If that is the case, then I still would urge for an identity that draws from the city's French cultural heritage. Other options could be Association Sportive Saint Louis (AS Saint Louis), Stade Saint Louis (Stade StL), or Avenir Sportif Saint Louis (AS Saint Louis or Avenir StL). Either way, my hope is that this club will be able to create an identity that both utilizes traditional naming conventions, but also remain unique to Saint Louis rather than resorting to a name that may be found anywhere else in MLS.

 

 

 

I get the French side of it, but it's also important to remember that the 1904 Olympics (and its accompanying World's Fair/Anthropology Days), are more associated with this:

 

 

They were a side show to a celebration of scientific racism and quackery. That is not something worthy of promoting, which is why using one of the other French names is a markedly better idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

 

Not exactly.  It will host the XFL Dallas Renegades and there have been reports that Globe Life Park will also be the new home of Arlington ISD football to replace UT-Arlington's Maverick Stadium, although that is only speculation at this point. There has also been speculation that if UT-Arlington was to bring football back, they would play at Globe Life Park.  There has been some speculation that Globe Life Park could also be used as a practice facility for NFL teams playing against the Dallas Cowboys too. I've read somewhere that when there are no sports, it will be used as a secondary concert venue.

Not what I meant. I know the facility will have other uses but NTSC only averages 1,367 a game and some games were under 1,000. Even with a reduced capacity of the ballpark its still gonna be very empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

I get the French side of it, but it's also important to remember that the 1904 Olympics (and its accompanying World's Fair/Anthropology Days), are more associated with this:

 

 

They were a side show to a celebration of scientific racism and quackery. That is not something worthy of promoting, which is why using one of the other French names is a markedly better idea.

 

Yes, the World's Fairs of those eras had plenty of despicable things. But no, that's not what that event is "more associated with" at all. Infrastructure from the 1904 Olympics and World's Fair are still landmarks in St. Louis, primarily on the grounds of Forest Park (which existed well before 1904 but still has many of the buildings from the events) but also elsewhere, such as on the campus of Washington University. Few if any people in St. Louis know about the serious racial/cultural problems associated with World's Fairs in general, but the event's impact on the city is still felt culturally in other ways. I stand by my preference for Olympique Saint Louis being the ideal name for a team, even if I acknowledge that it's likely impossible.

 

Love jon bois, though, so there's that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Not what I meant. I know the facility will have other uses but NTSC only averages 1,367 a game and some games were under 1,000. Even with a reduced capacity of the ballpark its still gonna be very empty.

 

That low? Wow.  There are a few 5,000 and under stadiums in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, but it's in the smaller suburbs far enough away from Dallas but still considered as part of the DFW Metroplex.  Probably not what North Texas SC would have wanted, so they went with Arlington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

 

When the conversion is done, the capacity will be 25,000.

 

What are they removing to halve the capacity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D.C United has ended their partnership with FloFC and will have a new broadcast partner for the 2020 season. This weekend's season finale against Cincy will be live streamed on the team's website.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

 

What are they removing to halve the capacity?

 

Well, they plan on removing the dugouts and commissioner's box along the third base line as they plan on running North and South from the First Base line.  They will also demolish portions of the lower level (not all of it though) to fit a football field.  Also the usual "let's tarp off the top sections" is probably an option.

 

Probably looking at Georgia State Stadium as a model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.