North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Bass fishing is more of a sport than playing video games are. And you can be a 500 pound alcoholic and compete in bass fishing.

"new thing is bad" is generally a take that doesn't age well.

Millions of people enjoy esports. I don't, but I'm not going to fault people for liking something and/or earning a living while doing so.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

23 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

"new thing is bad" is generally a take that doesn't age well.

Millions of people enjoy esports. I don't, but I'm not going to fault people for liking something and/or earning a living while doing so.

I'm not concerned with how any take of mine or anyone else will age because no take ever ages well in the grand scheme of things. What's innocuous now will be offensive later and vice versa. 

They can do whatever they want but I think it's pretty stupid. 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Of course it will have a space for eSports, because "it's the hip and cool thing" these days to be involved in eSports. 

Since MLS has an eSports league, having space for their team makes complete sense. I wonder if other teams are planning to include things like this in the new stadiums as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I agree that eSports aren't "sports," but that doesn't make it any less of a valid form of entertainment. It exists because there's a market of people who enjoy it - otherwise it wouldn't be a thing. And it's not as if the outcomes are any more or less important than the outcomes of actual sporting events, considering the value of a game is entirely derived by the degree in which someone cares about it. The Super Bowl (or any other sporting event) has no inherent value or importance. Its value and importance are contingent on how much people care about its occurrence. So if someone places just as much or more importance on something that isn't a sport, then I'm not going to question it. And if any of the frustration is with the fact that ESPN airs eSports, well, poker isn't a sport either and yet it clutters up the airwaves.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since MLS has an eSports league, having space for their team makes complete sense. I wonder if other teams are planning to include things like this in the new stadiums as well. 

How many teams are in the eSports MLS league anyways?

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Hey, if the Mormon church can retroactively baptize the long-deceased, then we can firmly establish Joseph Smith and Brigham Young as life-long, die-hard footy fans. 😁

LPOTL’s Mormonism series is amazing.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Anyone who calls Scrabble a sport deserves to be mocked as roundly as anyone who calls esports a sport. 😁

Is darts a sport? I’m asking because I don’t think an activity where you can drink several pints of beer while performing it counts as a sport. Look at darts champ Andy Fordham:

spacer.png

He’s got it all figured out. 🙃

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You can get paid for lots of things.

From here, your comment could have gone in any one of several different directions.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Sommeliers are invaluable, but they ain’t athletes.

I will admit that this was not the direction I expected it to go in.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

17 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

What does any of this have to do with soccer?

I'm so old I remember when the common thinking was soccer wasn't a sport. Or at least a "real" one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

18 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'm so old I remember when the common thinking was soccer wasn't a sport. Or at least a "real" one.

Hey, now.  Daryl thought it was a "cute sport" for wimps, but at least he admitted it was a sport.

maxresdefault.jpg

Besides, Daryl was a tool. 😛 

Archived