North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It's almost as bad as renaming the Open Cup trophy after Lamar Hunt.  Taking the legitimate accomplishments of a person and blowing them way out of proportion.

At least all of the teams he owned have won the Open Cup after it took on his name, unlike the Chiefs' hilarious failure to win the NFL's Lamar Hunt Trophy.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

At least all of the teams he owned have won the Open Cup after it took on his name, unlike the Chiefs' hilarious failure to win the NFL's Lamar Hunt Trophy.

Well, to be fair, the franchise does have one AFL title and one Lombardi Trophy on its resume, so there's that...but your point still stands.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

33 minutes ago, Buc said:

Well, to be fair, the franchise does have one AFL title and one Lombardi Trophy on its resume, so there's that...but your point still stands.

Annoying semantics are underutilized in sports-based trash talk, and I intend to change that.

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Annoying semantics are underutilized in sports-based trash talk, and I intend to change that.

The Inter Miami Trophy - awarded to the expansion team that takes the longest time from their announcement to taking the field. This could also be the Halifax CFL Trophy.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Like the article from The Athletic last week, just another illustration why people buy into MLS for SUM more than they do for the soccer itself.

I can't imagine a world where esports salaries will ever approach what it might take for a long-term successful MLS franchise, so I guess I get it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

34 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Inter Miami Trophy - awarded to the expansion team that takes the longest time from their announcement to taking the field. This could also be the Halifax CFL Trophy.

So what then do we call the trophy for the expansion team that's quickest to make it to their league championship game/finals/series? Somehow "Golden Knight Trophy" just doesn't do it for me....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

10 minutes ago, Buc said:

So what then do we call the trophy for the expansion team that's quickest to make it to their league championship game/finals/series? Somehow "Golden Knight Trophy" just doesn't do it for me....

It'd have to be the Fire Trophy, right? MLS has shown that they're overzealous about naming trophies, and the Chicago Fire won MLS Cup and the US Open Cup in their first year of existence.

6 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

It'd have to be the Fire Trophy, right? MLS has shown that they're overzealous about naming trophies, and the Chicago Fire won MLS Cup and the US Open Cup in their first year of existence.

3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The Plantium Hydrant in honor of the Chicago Fire (1998)?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpgUad-R9kCHdY8N4Y1mA

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I can't believe this had to be said in the soccer thread. 🙁 🙁 🙁

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

FC Cincinnati opened their new training facility today

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2019/11/06/take-peek-new-mercy-health-training-center-fc-cincinnati/2509215001/

Pretty impressive stuff. That's what 35 million dollars gets you. The Bengals, meanwhile, still practice in a gravel yard. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 11/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Hold on, wait a second. The MLS MVP award is called the Landon Donovan Award? That's the absolute lamest thing I've ever seen. 

On 11/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Like, I get that Donovan was at one very short time and may still be the biggest name in US soccer (I think he's already been surpassed in that category, though), but that's a decision people are going to look back on and wonder just why in the hell the MVP trophy was ever named after someone as thoroughly medicore as Landon Donovan. If that's how high you've set the bar, you might as well crawl underneath it. Landon Donovan being the "face" of US soccer is the prime example of US soccer still being in it's absolute infancy. You don't name the league MVP trophy after a dude like that and expect to be taken seriously by anyone in the greater soccer universe.

This is a terrible take.

Landon Donovan has been the leading figure in U.S. soccer for a very long time.  He bridges the period when MLS was cheesy and worthy of dismissal, to the current period when MLS is legit and is comparable to any European league outside the Big 4.

Donovan had multiple successful stints in Europe (along with one difficult one).   He played very well at Everton, and is looked at with respect by English fans. He also played in Mexico, which is something that very few Americans have done.

He gave up his captaincy with the Galaxy in favour of David Beckham.  Though Donovan later criticised Beckham and the circus that his presence caused, he was a pure team player while they were teammates.  And he was a team player not only with respect to his team, but with respect to the league, as if he could sense that the arrival of Beckham marked the turning point for MLS, when the quality of play began surging and the image of the league drastically improved.

And the m-f-er is still playing!  He just completed a season with the MASL's San Diego Sockers.

Donovan also has set several good examples throughout his career, first by establishing that a top American player need not leave his home country in order to be considered world class, and later by retiring and coming back on his own terms, making the point that being a contented person is more important than everything else. Finally, he has contributed to goodwill, by virtue of his expression of support for the Mexican national team in the last World Cup.

You absolutely do indeed name the league's MVP trophy after "a dude like that", because a dude like that is someone whom every fan should know about for as long as the sport of association football is played on this continent.  Landon Donovan deserves enormous respect.  He is a giant, and will always be a giant.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2019/11/06/take-peek-new-mercy-health-training-center-fc-cincinnati/2509215001/

Pretty impressive stuff. That's what 35 million dollars gets you. The Bengals, meanwhile, still practice in a gravel yard. 

Looks beautiful!

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Looks amazing. 

Archived