Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And the tailspin continues.

 

Last month, we had the second-best record in the league, made the conference semifinals and were primed for a good sustained run.  Since then we’ve lost our manager and sporting director and are in real danger of falling apart. 

 

Sports is a hell of a drug. 

 

When Vieira left, I was hoping that NYCFC would hire a career MLS manager.  We got lucky with Torrent, who ultimately did a good job after taking some time to grow into the job.  But we cannot count on getting lucky again.  The next manager must not be someone who will have to learn on the job; it has to be someone with extensive MLS experience who can hit the ground running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Another name I wouldnt mind would be the Charlotte Cougars. It'd be a good nod to the Panthers and to Carolinas ABA team.

Eh, that's got some, ah, adult connotations as a word. All I want is a truly local name and crest, with real meaning and not just Nike (Adidas?) speak about "connection to the city" and "our fans are our center" like they gave Austin (and more recently, the Brewers). The more I think about it, the more I want the team to tie into the "Hornet's Nest" nickname Charlotte has. Actually, that name could connect to three different Charlotte sports teams - the Panthers, as Tepper would own it and I would bet that at least one color is shared, the Hornets, as the team would derive from the same source for the name, and the Independence, who get their name from Charlotte's revolutionary activity, where the "Hornet's Nest" nickname comes from. I'd be satisfied with a crest with a hornet's nest on it and a crown above, in a shield shape and utilizing Charlotte's unique blue color scheme. A Panthers Blue and Hornets Purple would be a perfect way to appeal to Charlotteans (plus it means I can wear Panthers/Hornets gear to games) and sets it apart from the rest of the league. I'd be fine with a name like "Charlotte FC" if we got such a unique and locally relevant logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Eh, that's got some, ah, adult connotations as a word.

 

That would be fine. Otherwise everybody would have changed from wolf and dog-based names because they might get called bitches. Or from Bulls because opponents might call their women "cows." Or from anything chicken-based because of :censored: jokes. Personally, if North Carolina gets a team, I just want them to use whichever city they're in. It's obnoxious that we have a Carolina team in Charlotte and Raleigh in the big 4 sports. Point is, let the Cougars loose. On me if need be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:53 AM, Gothamite said:

And the tailspin continues.

 

Last month, we had the second-best record in the league, made the conference semifinals and were primed for a good sustained run.  Since then we’ve lost our manager and sporting director and are in real danger of falling apart. 

 

Sports is a hell of a drug. 

 

Precourt actually made a good move for once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Hey FC CINCINNATI, freaking move to Fox Sports Ohio! 

Does Sincalir want them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Well the current situation sucks A+

Hope they bail from FloFC like DC United did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

 

That would be fine. Otherwise everybody would have changed from wolf and dog-based names because they might get called bitches. Or from Bulls because opponents might call their women "cows." Or from anything chicken-based because of :censored: jokes. Personally, if North Carolina gets a team, I just want them to use whichever city they're in. It's obnoxious that we have a Carolina team in Charlotte and Raleigh in the big 4 sports. Point is, let the Cougars loose. On me if need be.

I'm just not a fan of the name Cougars in general. I'm glad the Panthers made the switch and I hope the MLS team doesn't make that mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Hey FC CINCINNATI, freaking move to Fox Sports Ohio! 

As much as Id love to see FC Cincinnati on FS Ohio, there would be a major conflict with the Reds and the Reds are higher than FCC would be on the FS Ohio food chain. It would result in several games being tape delayed or not on FS Ohio at all. This may just be a case where we may have to go without streaming games or be on a tv channel that doesnt cover the enitre FCC market. What they need to do is sign a contract with local tv stations in markets like Lexington and Dayton. Either way they need to dump Flo, but if they are looking at dumping Star 64 and Sinclair, their best route to go would be to sign with one of the other local stations. Many of the local stations can shift programing to their digital subchannels and even with many games on Saturday nights most Saturday night tv on FOX, NBC, ABC are repeats. Of course this is until the leagues tv contracts run out in a couple years and MLS decides our own tv and streaming rights for us as many people are saying that will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I'm just not a fan of the name Cougars in general. I'm glad the Panthers made the switch and I hope the MLS team doesn't make that mistake. 

 

So when Tepper gets his MLS team, what happens to the Charlotte Independence?   Are they going to be like the Austin Bold and war with the MLS club coming to town?  Or will they be Tepper's USL affiliate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So when Tepper gets his MLS team, what happens to the Charlotte Independence?   Are they going to be like the Austin Bold and war with the MLS club coming to town?  Or will they be Tepper's USL affiliate? 

 

Dunno.  Can Charlotte support both clubs?  Seems unlikely.  If the Independence has a strong enough base, Tepper may want to bring them on board and make this new club a continuation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Independence do fold it would be a complete waste of the renovation of old American Legion stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GDAWG said:

 

So when Tepper gets his MLS team, what happens to the Charlotte Independence?   Are they going to be like the Austin Bold and war with the MLS club coming to town?  Or will they be Tepper's USL affiliate? 

 

50 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Dunno.  Can Charlotte support both clubs?  Seems unlikely.  If the Independence has a strong enough base, Tepper may want to bring them on board and make this new club a continuation. 

 

35 minutes ago, Wings said:

If the Independence do fold it would be a complete waste of the renovation of old American Legion stadium. 

I'm not sure what would happen. I don't think Charlotte can support both clubs, but I don't know if the Independence would try to stay alive or become the affiliate. It's not like other teams don't have affiliates in the same city, same stadium even, but since the MLS bid is independent of the Independence, who knows if Tepper will bring them into the fold. Plus, Memorial Stadium will still be used for other things, like the Hounds lacrosse team, even if the Independence fold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

It's not like other teams don't have affiliates in the same city, same stadium even, but since the MLS bid is independent of the Independence, who knows if Tepper will bring them into the fold.

 

There are fewer and fewer of those, and all of them are owned by the MLS club.

 

If MLS comes to town, the Independence will either join the organization or leave. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I heard the independence say that they would stay in Charlotte as a cheaper alternative to an MLS game, but no I dont think Charlotte can support both. They also have Stumptown Athletic in the upstart NISA as well. Even if they do fold. I thought the Hounds were going to come back after taking next season off in the MLL so if that happens then the American Legion Stadium renovation wouldnt be a complete bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I thought I heard the independence say that they would stay in Charlotte as a cheaper alternative to an MLS game, but no I dont think Charlotte can support both. They also have Stumptown Athletic in the upstart NISA as well. Even if they do fold. I thought the Hounds were going to come back after taking next season off in the MLL so if that happens then the American Legion Stadium renovation wouldnt be a complete bust.

The Independence may try to fight, but they'll probably have to move or fold within a few years of an MLS team arriving. Stumptown plays in Matthews, which is about 20 minutes away from Uptown, and is more of a suburban team. The Hounds are coming back once Memorial Stadium is finished renovated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.