Will LA get NFL teams?

Retromaniac

Charges played one season in LA then moved to San Diego ... but that was more than 40 years ago. At the time, they were in a rival expansion league, and couldn't compete with the extremely popular Rams. (Well, they were then.)

Things have changed. The Rams are gone, the Chargers are an established team now, and the whole southern California marketplace is different. I'm not saying the Chargers should move, but the reasons they left LA don't exist any longer.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

From what I have read and heard on the matter the NFL want a presence in LA, but who moves is a tough questioon. Most teams seem fairly well set where they are now!

I don't really get why the NFL wants a team in LA given that every team that has been there has left.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You know, had the CFL not pulled out of the USA nearly a decade ago, they could have placed a franchise in LA at the Coliseum. Something to think about next time.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

You know, had the CFL not pulled out of the USA nearly a decade ago, they could have placed a franchise in LA at the Coliseum. Something to think about next time.

What's your point?

To be perfectly honest, and this is no offense to our Canadian friends, nobody really cares about the CFL in the United States. It's like a novelty sport that people say "oh, cool" to when we see it on TV. If an NFL team (or two or twelve) couldn't survive in the biggest market on the left coast, there's no way a Canadian league team could, either.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

You know, had the CFL not pulled out of the USA nearly a decade ago, they could have placed a franchise in LA at the Coliseum.  Something to think about next time.

What's your point?

To be perfectly honest, and this is no offense to our Canadian friends, nobody really cares about the CFL in the United States. It's like a novelty sport that people say "oh, cool" to when we see it on TV. If an NFL team (or two or twelve) couldn't survive in the biggest market on the left coast, there's no way a Canadian league team could, either.

yeah, i have to agree... i hate to agree, but i have to agree...

i'm a BIG fan of canada as a country, and hockey is by far the greatest sport ever made... however, i try to watch CFL games when i see them on fox sports net, and i can never finish them. they just bore me. there's no running game, there's obscure scoring rules, and every time they get a REALLY GOOD player, after one year, they just become the 3rd string player on an NFL team... plus, they've got some goofy ass team names :) i can't cheer for a "tiger-cat" (kind of redundant, isn't it? i wouldn't want to cheer for the baltimore raven-birds or phoenix coyote-dogs either), or a rough-rider :)

the CFL is really cool, but in the USA, it's not even close to on the map... imagine if the Central Hockey League put a team in Toronto. you think anyone would even consider watching a Toronto CHL team play against the Austin Ice Bats, or the Fort Worth Brahmas, when they can just watch the Leafs or the AHL instead?

to be brutally honest, the CFL is like a 3rd tier league to most american fans. just as the central hockey league is probably below the NHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL, WHA, AHL, BCHL, etc, to Canadians (btw, as goofy as CFL teams are, i'm in love with the name "Salmon Arm Silverbacks"), the CFL is under the NFL and NCAA to Americans.

i'm more than convinced that the MLS expansion team in LA would draw more than a CFL expansion team in LA... but that says more for LA's love of soccer than it does for Americans' disinterest in Canadian football :)

again, no disrespect to canada or the cfl, as i think both are awesome... but there's really no way any american city would even consider adding a CFL team, if they're even a remote possibility for NFL expansion or relocation.

Well, a CHL comparison is kinda off base, because the CFL IS a major leauge.

Also, the Tiger-Cats are the result of a 1930s or so merger of two teams, the Wildcats and the Tigers. Roughriders is one word, unless you were talking about the former Ottawa team, in which it was two.

But yeah, you get used to it after awhile...It IS very cool.

Also, the Tiger-Cats are the result of a 1930s or so merger of two teams, the Wildcats and the Tigers. Roughriders is one word, unless you were talking about the former Ottawa team, in which it was two.

my only point on the CHL comparison was that the both are professional leagues, and both are basically 2 notches below the big league (NHL/NFL).

I don't mind if the USA doesn't get interested in the CFL. After all, it is the CANADIAN football league. If the CFL is strong in Canada, then it's fine by me. If you're not strong domestically ,then your league is screwed.

ARGOOOOOOOOS!

I saw, I came, I left.

my only point on the CHL comparison was that the both are professional leagues, and both are basically 2 notches below the big league (NHL/NFL).

TWO notches? I don't THINK so.

By the way, CFL fans, if you want comedy, watch a game with a CFL hater (There's lots of them in the Halifax/Dartmouth area. They can get some good lines in...

you don't think that the CFL is 2 notches below the NFL to american fans?

go into any random american city and ask them during monday night football if they'd like to watch the argos... then on a saturday, see how many people would rather watch the alouettes than virginia tech.

you either misunderstood what i was trying to say, or you really believe more people care about the CFL than college football... and if it's the latter, then i apologize, but i truely think you're off target.

Oh, OH, COLLEGE football, touché bud. Forgot about it there for a second.

I just thought you meant PRO league by the CHL comparison....with that, I'd think the best comparison I've heard is Japanese baseball to the major leagues...About a third of the teams, import rules, just a level down.

Chargers played one season in the AFL in LA before moving to San Diego

^_^

And don't forget the WFL, USFL and XFL teams they lost too... <_<

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Early in the offseason, there was a lot of talk around here about the Indy Colts moving. Their lease with the RCA Dome was up and nobody thought they'd re-sign the contract. A lot of talk was geared towards LA. There was another city too, but I can't think of it..[cheap shot]Oh yeah, it was Detroit, because they don't have a professional football team [/cheap shot].

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived