NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are really quite beautiful. I would not be disappointed at all if these ended up being made into something more permanent than a throwback uniform.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

7 hours ago, Echo said:

It's a throwback.  If the original didn't have a logo on the side of the helmet, the throwback shouldn't have one either.

I don't believe throwbacks have to be 100% accurate.  I think these uniforms could be a fine regular uniform with a few tweaks; a modernized version that maintains the essence of the original.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I don't believe throwbacks have to be 100% accurate.  I think these uniforms could be a fine regular uniform with a few tweaks; a modernized version that maintains the essence of the original.

i think thats the difference between a throwback and an alternate. if you're doing a throwback, the intention is to honor something from the past, so you should do it as accurately as possible. if its an alternate, then the intention is to do something new, something not seen before, and the rules fall away

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think thats the difference between a throwback and an alternate. if you're doing a throwback, the intention is to honor something from the past, so you should do it as accurately as possible. if its an alternate, then the intention is to do something new, something not seen before, and the rules fall away

Throwback vs. Fauxback.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would argue that adding logos where none existed violates the essence of the original.

Tweaks really ought to be limited to constraints of modern equipment, such as the higher sleeve stripes. 

Exactly. I got really annoyed when the Steelers would wear their standard helmets with their bumblebee throwbacks. Should have just taken all the decals off and gone with solid black. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 6/10/2019 at 3:22 AM, Scrumptious Ham said:

Nice snark reply instead of enlightening. Aren't you a professor? Teach, and use some tact while you are at it. Show off your profession. Funny how you didn't highlight the "I want to learn" part. Did you stop reading when you found a window to be rude?

Too snarky?  My apologies, I really wasn't trying to be outright rude, just semi-funny rude, I guess.

I just think it's hard to apply a modern Nike/Adidas/UnderArmour type of "designer" label to the way sports uniforms were designed before, say, the 70's. The first time I remember hearing about an outside the team agency doing design work for a team was with the Houston-based ad agency McCann Erickson designing the Astros' 70's rainbow uniforms. (That is by no means suggesting that's the first time it happened, just the first time I remember hearing about it... the story is on uniwatch here https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20219881/the-history-houston-iconic-rainbow-uniforms-story-worth-telling 

There's also the story of the Vikings' hiring Los Angeles sports cartoonist Karl Hubenthal to design their original look. (Also from uniwatch https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21409647/the-full-story-how-viking-uniforms-came-minnesota

But earlier than that, I suspect uniforms decisions were chiefly made by the Coach/Manager/Owner (and in the 1930's Bears case, that's all the same guy... George Halas.) He bought (kinda) the Decatur Staleys, named after the Staley food starch company, moved them to Chicago, and chose the colors based on the University of Illinois. Apparently the Bears ordered their equipment from Wilson Sporting good, which was also based in Chicago.

In the first half of the 20th century, there were dozens of family owned textile manufacturers that provided sports uniforms and equipment, and schools and teams could just pick them out of old fashioned printed catalogs.  Those catalogs are pretty cool... this site has a bunch of them http://www.antiquefootball.com/cat/football_catalogs.html

spacer.png  spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, I don't know, but my guess is there was a uniform style offered in a catalog that had stripes inserted on the shoulder, and repeated them down the sleeves.  Mr. Halas, being an obviously important customer, asked for that style, in white, with alternating navy and orange stripes, And they were delivered, and looked awesome (although apparently hated by the fans at the time).  Although I guess you could ask what little old immigrant lady sewed those original uniforms for that company's catalog to begin with, and should we consider her the designer.  Hmm... maybe you were right to begin with.   

(these are hockey jerseys, but it's the same idea... pre-set striping patterns that you could insert your own colors and possibly logos onto... pretty obvious in this case what the letters stood for.)

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Carolina did its media day shoot in all black with black socks. Looks like the silver pants are in fact being shelved for good. At least throw some blue socks on please

1) Are those light blue/silver numbers on the shoulders? 2) Would they not wear the silver pants with the Carolina Blue alternates? 3) Half the NFC South is now mono-black as their primary home look.

44 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Carolina did its media day shoot in all black with black socks. Looks like the silver pants are in fact being shelved for good. At least throw some blue socks on please

I agree with you about the blue socks. The all-black with blue socks really makes the blue color pop even more on their jerseys and pants.

39 minutes ago, msubulldog said:

1) Are those light blue/silver numbers on the shoulders?

No, same white numbers with blue outlines as in years' past. Lighting/shade makes the white twill look gray.

I don't think the silver pants are being shelved for good. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

Thank god we're getting rid of the silver pants. I always thought those looked awful. Now if we could just get blue socks as the default there, I think the home look would be perfect.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

If they shelved pants, they should be the white pants 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, msubulldog said:

1) Are those light blue/silver numbers on the shoulders? 2) Would they not wear the silver pants with the Carolina Blue alternates? 3) Half the NFC South is now mono-black as their primary home look.

And it is really disgusting...I even hate the mono look on my Seahawks. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

I believe the Panthers did this look last year too.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

Could the Browns be wearing orange socks with the color rush set this year? I personally prefer brown socks, but could avoid the yoga pants look that everyone around here hates...

I would love to see them rock that look with orange socks and orange accessories.

Archived