NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Saints "flur" is definitely a better shape with no more than a single stroke around it, but its such a generic symbol, i think the double outline actually does more to make it recognizable and own-able as a logo.  the Cowboys have a similar problem, trying to "own" a star...so they put 2 strokes around it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 7/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, Gothamite said:

DeafeningNewGrayreefshark-small.gif

Couldn’t agree more.

The extra outlines are pointless visual clutter that downgrade the logo.

If the Saints wanted to include gold in their primary logo, they should have just added a gold outline for other applications, like the Packers did in the 1980s.

spacer.png

This logo didn’t need anything else. 

I disagree. The black outline makes it look much clearer and keeps it consistent with the helmet stripe. The current logo is perfect and doesn’t need to be changed. Not having the black outline muddles the white and gold 

Side note why are the bucs criticized for a huge logo but you’re ok with the saints having a giant logo?

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

DeafeningNewGrayreefshark-small.gif

Couldn’t agree more.

The extra outlines are pointless visual clutter that downgrade the logo.

If the Saints wanted to include gold in their primary logo, they should have just added a gold outline for other applications, like the Packers did in the 1980s.

spacer.png

This logo didn’t need anything else. 

The Saints seem to becoming more and more beige.  They used to be a lot more "Golden" on their helmets and uniform numbers.  Its the same thing that happened the millennium blue uniforms the Rams used in STL.  Does anyone know how to make gold anymore? LOL

27 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Just thinking: Is it possible for an arena or minor league team to use the Houston Oilers name and colors?  Or is it still controlled by the league?

League / Adam's Family (haha) still control the name and marks, but the colors can be used. 

back on the Saints, the ideal situation for them would be to start over with the logo and... make a good logo. any tweaking of what they have now is really just polishing a turd. they need to think more conceptual, or in the very least, make something more unique in form.

examples:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

back on the Saints, the ideal situation for them would be to start over with the logo and... make a good logo. any tweaking of what they have now is really just polishing a turd. they need to think more conceptual, or in the very least, make something more unique in form.

Why? What other top flight pro team in North America uses a straight fleur-de-lis? Why should they muddle the meaning and distinctiveness of a historic symbol that predates European settlement of the Americas? It seems like doing that would lessen the fleur-de-lis' impact.

6 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

The Saints seem to becoming more and more beige.  They used to be a lot more "Golden" on their helmets and uniform numbers.  Its the same thing that happened the millennium blue uniforms the Rams used in STL.  Does anyone know how to make gold anymore? LOL

That’s Nike.  Matte fabrics are easier to sell. 

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

examples:

spacer.png

I love that one.  I’d like to steal it for my independent, co-educational, all-inclusive Scouting group. :D 

For me these teams need a change the most. No particular order 

1. The Jags 

spacer.png

Jesus Christ this team has been a mess both on and off the field for the last decade. Say what you want about their last set at least they weren’t a generic template that Nike forgot to fill out. No gold makes these sets dead to me from the start. My tip take the last uniforms, get rid of the color blocks on the sleeves, use a regular stripe on the pants instead of the pentagon and of course get rid of the half gold bull :censored: and you got a really great set. People say these are going in the right direction but that’s because there’s nowhere else to go but up. These literally can’t get any less descript 

2. The Jets 

spacer.png

Theyre an upgrade from their last set but something is just off about them. They have great colors and a beautiful Helene but something is missing from it but I can’t put my finger in it and thus chat come up with any solutions 

3. Giants

spacer.png

just completely blah. Just use the LT era uniforms 

4. Cardinals 

spacer.png

The whole thing screams mediocrity which I guess fits the cardinals. The cards have never had a particularly good or iconic look so I’d go for a complete overhaul. Introduce a desert yellow-brown tertiary color. Make the face mask yellow, give the numbers the yellow outline, and maybe add the flag of Arizona to the sleeve caps. Honestly they need something  

On 7/16/2019 at 6:47 PM, WavePunter said:

I just think it looks good that way.. I prefer the outer outline to be black, and I prefer the logo to be black.. that kinda limits the possibilities

I tried to pick two photos with the players roughly the same height, but I didn’t anticipate the auto shrinking of the landscape photo.

I still don’t think outlines are the best answer, though. I can understand wanting a black edge on the mark, but at that point, why not just use a solid black fleur on gold? You get the same impact without the fuzziness at a distance (especially if they continue with the lighter gold). If you really need white in the fleur, I think using it to build dimension and form is a better move than simply outlining the shape. Heck, I’d rather see a white fleur with a heavy black outline than a black fleur with a double outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I tried to pick two photos with the players roughly the same height, but I didn’t anticipate the auto shrinking of the landscape photo.

I still don’t think outlines are the best answer, though. I can understand wanting a black edge on the mark, but at that point, why not just use a solid black fleur on gold? You get the same impact without the fuzziness at a distance (especially if they continue with the lighter gold). If you really need white in the fleur, I think using it to build dimension and form is a better move than simply outlining the shape. Heck, I’d rather see a white fleur with a heavy black outline than a black fleur with a double outline.

The premise here is sort of "if we had our way".. ideally, they'd use the older, darker gold.. and as Brandon pointed out, it's similar to the Cowboys situation.. I feel like it adds a bit of character and uniqueness to an otherwise ordinary mark.. I respect your opinion regarding a solid black or even white with black outline logo, but I prefer their look to be a black logo with double outline.. their current triple outline is too much, but a single outline leaves something to be desired imo

I don’t see the need for a black outline on the fdl. The black lily with the white outline works, especially with the richer shade of gold the team used before switching to Vegas gold. 

You could add a gold outline around the black fdl/white outline logo for use in neutral applications, as @Gothamite suggested. 

I don’t want it as big as the old fdl used to be. That was a bit excessive. The basic white outline is a good idea though. 

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don’t see the need for a black outline on the fdl. The black lily with the white outline works, especially with the richer shade of gold the team used before switching to Vegas gold. 

You could add a gold outline around the black fdl/white outline logo for use in neutral applications, as @Gothamite suggested. 

I don’t want it as big as the old fdl used to be. That was a bit excessive. The basic white outline is a good idea though. 

I think somewhere in between the old size and the current would be nice. Rather than add an additional gold outline for a white background, though, I think simply changing the white outline to gold would be best on white (similar to how the fleur itself gets changed from black to gold for a black background).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

23 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

any tweaking of what they have now is really just polishing a turd. they need to think more conceptual, or in the very least, make something more unique in form.

So I thought about this some more...and it turns out they're already doing that, Brandon.

I decided to look at the Saints' logo in silhouette and compare it to the silhouettes of other fleur-de-lis emblems throughout the world. There are plenty of ways to draw a fleur-de-lis, and this is by no means a complete list. Still? I hope it illustrates my point.

j21xLeB.png

The first two are the Saints' logos. Old and current. The logo of the World Organization of the Scout Movement is next. Then we have the image Wikipedia uses for their "Fleur-de-lis" page. Next we have the variations commonly assigned to the Kingdom of France. Next is the "North American" version, which is the style used on the Quebec flag, the New Orleans city flag, the flag of Franco-Americans, etc...Then we have the fleur-de-lis from the coat of arms of the city of Florence, Italy. And we finish up in eastern Europe, with the fdl found on historic emblems of Bosnia and Hungary.

Simply put? You suggested that the Saints needed to "make something more unique in form," but the team already has that. They took a common historical emblem that has historic meaning to the locale- the fleur-de-lis- and put their own spin on it. I can't find a single case of a fleur-de-lis in heraldry that matches the silhouette of the Saints' logo. They've already made it their own. 

Broncos are rocking orange pants in training camp. Could be nothing like Detroit used black ones a few years ago but a few players were wearing them under their shorts so makes me think it might be a new addition because I would think they just would wear them without “hiding” them.

2 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

Broncos are rocking orange pants in training camp. Could be nothing like Detroit used black ones a few years ago but a few players were wearing them under their shorts so makes me think it might be a new addition because I would think they just would wear them without “hiding” them.

Their orange color rush pants? Or an orange version of their regular pants?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived