NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Except for the fact that they're locked into the current alt for 5 years.

Are they? Is there a rule on throwback alts?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Isn't there? My bad if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to stick with an alt of any sort for 5 years.

Given that the league has been making modifications to uniform protocol on an annual basis for the last several years, I would not be surprised to see yet another round of updates to previous rules/guidelines, especially with the 100th anniversary promotion coming up. I think the best rule of thumb right now is that current rules are in place until they are no longer convenient going forward.

36 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Feels like every single year there's a "rumor" that the Broncos or Browns (or both) will make some radical helmet change. I know for sure I've seen the white helmet thing multiple times before. 

Which ought to be the best indication at all that the new rumors are every bit as legit as the old ones.  Or, in other words, total horse:censored:

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Isn't there? My bad if I'm wrong, but I thought you had to stick with an alt of any sort for 5 years.

Well, I know there’s a 5 year limit for regular uniform changes. I’ve just never heard of one for throwbacks? Not saying you’re wrong — I just never thought there was one?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 12/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, kimball said:

Well, I know there’s a 5 year limit for regular uniform changes. I’ve just never heard of one for throwbacks? Not saying you’re wrong — I just never thought there was one?

Yep.  When regular throwbacks became a thing, they were subject to the same five-year requirement as regular uniforms.  Bucs owner Ed Glazer let that slip when they brought back Bucco Bruce in 2009.

"Yes, the NFL says that if you elect to change your uniform or wear a throwback, you have to wear them for five years," said Glazer. "You can wear them up to two regular season games and one preseason game. This year we are going to wear them for one regular season game, and next we will probably wear them for two. We'll see, but they will be here for at least five years."

We don't know if that rule has been changed in the meantime, or if it applies to league-wide promotions like Color Rush; the NFL doesn't always broadcast these things and we only learned of its existence from one chatty owner.  But it most definitely used to be a rule for home, away, and alternate uniforms.

I have a strong belief that Carolina will change within the next few years. They’re already playing with different uniform color combinations. 

Browns change is in the work but doesn’t come out until 2020 I believe.

Falcons, Broncos, Cards, Bengals, Pats all need a update. 

43 minutes ago, Newport said:

I have a strong belief that Carolina will change within the next few years. They’re already playing with different uniform color combinations. 

I think the Ravens need an update as well. I've never been a fan of their numbers -- and the helmet logo is meh.

kimball banner.png

37 minutes ago, kimball said:

I think the Ravens need an update as well. I've never been a fan of their numbers -- and the helmet logo is meh.

Agree.  A cartoon bird works for the Orioles because that was the logo during the glory years.   For football, it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Newport said:

I have already confirmed that the Panthers will be getting a full rebrand for the 2020 season. 

Jaguars

7 minutes ago, Newport said:

Same colors and logo?

If I were to guess, they will probably remove Silver. It seems to be phased out, and they haven't wore Silver pants all year. They would also have to change the logo in that case since it also has Silver in it.

da0Lbhs.png

Let me guess, it'll be navy and black because LOL WHY NOT.

And this isn't the most popular opinion, but the Ravens already have a solid logo. All I really see that's needed are tweaks (remove the dumb "B" that clutters it).

Archived