NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I see the Raiders more as a faded, flabby former biker who is still coasting on the bad rep he earned in his youth. Likes to talk tough every now and then but desperately hopes nobody calls his bluff and asks him to put up. 

More pathetic poseur than badass outlaw. 

See, the thing is that the NFL is utterly ridiculous. In so many ways. And so I appreciate the Raiders taking the piss out of it now and then. Someone needs to do it. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, except that Al David was testifying in support of Donald Trump.  The USFL was very much the bad guy in that lawsuit. 

So here’s a pre-emptive warning to everyone. Let’s not get political. Anyone who responds to the above should keep things focused on the USFL/NFL lawsuit and not drag present-day politics into things. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, except that Al David was testifying in support of Donald Trump.  The USFL was very much the bad guy in that lawsuit. 

The USFL owners were bunglers; but they were certainly not the bad guys. And Davis's testimony in the trial was not in support of Trump's destructive actions; rather, it was a denunciation of the NFL's response to the USFL's announced move to the fall.

Trump ruined the USFL by convincing the other owners to move to fall, in his (baseless) belief that this would lead to the NFL absorbing the Generals.  This absurd move to the fall cost the USFL its best team, as the champion Philadelphia Stars left town for 1985 rather than go head-to-head with an NFL team.  It also led to the league losing Houston, Portland, Oakland, Los Angeles, and Tampa Bay, none of which would have been part of the USFL if its 1986 fall season had somehow gone ahead. 

Yet, on the issue of the suit, the USFL was very much in the right.  Even though the move to the fall was ill-advised, the fact remains that the NFL improperly pressured the television networks not to carry the USFL's games, and used its considerable might in other illegal ways.  Davis's testimony concerned the NFL's pressuring the Oakland Coliseum to push the USFL's Invaders out.  Meanwhile, Davis had helped the Invaders by recommending players and coaches, and even local sponsors for their radio broadcasts.  So Davis did right by the USFL in many respects. 

Davis had of course already beaten the NFL in a previous anti-trust suit over its attempt to block the move of the Raiders to Los Angeles. His testimony on behalf of the USFL was an honourable move by a sporting hero.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I consider Al Davis to be a more rebellious cousin of Connie Mack. Both men were the franchise, a constant through most of their existence and the leaders for their most successful periods. Senility, money difficulties, and family squabbles ultimately damaged their legacy. Granted, the Raiders are in vastly better financial shape than the A's were when the Mack family sold the team, but the comparison is fairly accurate.

The Al I remember was an ineffectual, Skeletor-looking grump who couldn't catch up to modernity. He, and the Raiders along with him, lost their way ages ago. 

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Gotta say, the lionization of Al Davis has always fascinated me.  Being contrary and being principled are not always the same thing. 

I don’t think Al Davis was any more or less principled than any other NFL owner. 

That being said? The NFL needs some contrarianism. 

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'll always remember Al Davis as the guy who was giddy with glee at receiving the Super Bowl trophy from his longtime nemesis Pete Rozelle.

aldavissbold.jpg

Nothing can ever diminish that triumph.

I like Bryant Gumbel's "This is awkward" face in this photo.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

I can't believe this conversation about a white Browns' helmet is still going on. Can we have a long debate about the merits of everyone I meet voluntarily handing me a twenty dollar bill?  Because that's never going to happen, either.

How about you grab an $100 dollar bill?

4 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Great! Chicago cares about their aesthetics.

It's a big year for them to do this, what with the anniversary and all.  That said, I will be happy when they resume wearing their normal stuff next season. 

They've done some relatively creative things with the helmets while staying within the one-helmet rule, so kudos to them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, andrewharrington said:

The one thing they didn’t screw up in the redesign was the helmet, and everyone involved very clearly acknowledged that the helmet will never change when talking about the redesign in the media. There’s absolutely no way they will have a white helmet next year. I’ll Venmo you money for a beer if I’m wrong.

I'd only say that the helmet was the thing that they screwed up the least... not that they didn't screw it up.  The new shade of orange is a little too red, and the brown facemask is a downgrade from the gray.  I get that the traditional gray would clash with their contemporary look, but even white would have worked better than brown IMO.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, Gothamite said:

I see the Raiders more as a faded, flabby former biker who is still coasting on the bad rep he earned in his youth. Likes to talk tough every now and then but desperately hopes nobody calls his bluff and asks him to put up. 

More pathetic poseur than badass outlaw. 

9d7b761d0569960b5e9ae18925f97548

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd only say that the helmet was the thing that they screwed up the least... not that they didn't screw it up.  The new shade of orange is a little too red, and the brown facemask is a downgrade from the gray.  I get that the traditional gray would clash with their contemporary look, but even white would have worked better than brown IMO.

Actually, yes, this is an important clarification. I should have said they didn’t screw up the basic design of it (because they knew what would have happened if they did), but they did indeed screw it up with all the little adjustments, every one of which made the helmet worse, with the possible exception being the thicker stripe.

I don’t hate the brown mask (I preferred grey paired with the traditional look) but the red-orange, the matte finish, and the carbon fiber texture are not welcome.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

Safe bet that these are just for fans unless we have another “Color Rush” surprise heading our way but a few teams have some items showing up called “inverted” where it’s their current look in a new colorway (some are really cool, some are nightmarish) 

Below is the Titans. I’ve also found gray Bears, gray Chiefs, pewter Bucs, gold Saints, and red Giants. Going to play around with url’s And see if i can find other teams.

spacer.png

Shop link for Saquon in red so you know these are real items and not a photoshop scam https://www.nflshop.com/new-york-giants/mens-new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-nike-red-inverted-legend-jersey/t-13495657+p-366938316275+z-8-3292104249?SSAID=314743&_s=share-a-sale&utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&sscid=71k3_bj3tk

5 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

They must be for fans cause 1) the jersey price is only $79 and 2) as you said @FormerLurker they're labeled "inverted". The Panthers jersey is silver, but at first glance, it almost looks like their away jersey.

spacer.png

The first Color Rush jerseys for sale were the cheaper, everything-is-sublimated “Legend” series, just like these inverted jerseys.

Though I’m 99.99% sure these are fan jerseys. NFL diesn’t need a new line if gameday jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived