NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

37 minutes ago, dont care said:

Yoga pants are when pants with no stripes match the socks basically making it look like the stop at mid-calf thus looking like yoga pants. And it’s a much worse look than moving stripes on the pants and preferably different colored socks to break them up.

im sorry dude i just don’t see it. would gold socks make it better? doesn’t even matter since most players don’t bother wearing socks

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

im sorry dude i just don’t see it. would gold socks make it better? doesn’t even matter since most players don’t bother wearing socks

I actually believe that NFL players are required to wear socks with their uniform. College is a little different

2 hours ago, BlackJack said:

what about the Bears? They look like they’re from the 60s and the Seahawks current look i feel will hold up. The ones you listed are also incredibly plain. So why is plainness good for those but not for the saints?

Yoga pants? All football pants look like yoga pants.

The Bears are one of the best looks in football. The Seahawks also have a really solid set, the only problem is the blue pants with the blue jerseys. 

And no, socks that are a different color than the shorts that the players wear makes it to not look like a pair of yoga pants...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I actually believe that NFL players are required to wear socks with their uniform. College is a little different

The Bears are one of the best looks in football. The Seahawks also have a really solid set, the only problem is the blue pants with the blue jerseys. 

And no, socks that are a different color than the shorts that the players wear makes it to not look like a pair of yoga pants...

I can't stand to look at the teams who do the same color pants/socks combo. It's worse than yoga pants. It actually looks like they are wearing pantyhose. Men playing football in pantyhose is a terrible look.

37 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Maybe that’s what i’m. thinking of. Regardless I feel like i’ve seen players either roll down the socks or roll up their pants. I know Dante Fowler and Telvin Smith did and i’m fairly certain OBJ rolled his pants up making a gap

37 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Ok but the Bears are still kind of dated from the non block numbers to the inconsistent striping on the away jerseys

the seahawks all blue set is their best. Usually i prefer the jersey and pants to be different colors but for the hawks it’s the opposite. Them wearing gray or white pants just looks strange (side note i wish the nfl would allow gray to be their away jersey). Is it because of your traditionalist?

spacer.png

spacer.png

as as for the socks again i just don’t see. They look like yoga pants regardless. Maybe yoga pants isn’t the right word how about capris?

regardless though i find pants above the knee to look really dumb and child like

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Clearly you’re new here...

Because Older uniforms seem to have this timeless sort of look. It’s the reason why teams like the Yankees, Canadiens, Packers, and Celtics all look as good as they did way back in the day. The Saints current jerseys are pretty bad. When they wear black pants and black socks they look like they’re wearing yoga pants or pajama bottoms. Amazing is not the right word. And clean shouldn’t mean like everything is stripped off of the jersey. There definitely is a time when jerseys are cluttered and busy. The Saints throwback is not at all busy. Sure there’s the nostalgia factor, but it actually has a striping pattern, which is something that the current set doesn’t have. The right word for the current set is bland...

Timeless looks are usually accompanied by long term success, the only long term success the saints have had are in these uniforms which have lasted almost 2 decades now. I much prefer the current uniforms, I don’t see the yoga pants argument. Sure gold pants or socks would make it look that tiny bit better, but without it the look isn’t bad. The saints throwback is nice, I like the shade of gold and the stripes. Much like my comment about the giants throwbacks on another thread. I would love to see it stick as an alt but I prefer the currents.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

23 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Timeless looks are usually accompanied by long term success

Good thing you said "usually." Because I can point to teams like the Blue Jays and Royals who have timeless looks and have been far less successful than successful. Although in football there are quite a few stable identities that have also gone alongside relatively regular season stability (or outright championships) but that's just happenstance.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

@BlackJack if you like newer uniform designs that’s cool but don’t go around complaining that most people tend to prefer classic identities. 

i just don’t understand the arguments and want debate. i can understand hating the bucs but the saints look pretty much the same. like if they changed tomorrow how many people would notice?

17 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

like if they changed tomorrow how many people would notice?

A lot of people here would. People here notice when teams tweak- not change but tweak- sock stripes.

17 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

i can understand hating the bucs but the saints look pretty much the same.

Most people here don't like how the black Saints pants look paired with black socks. It gives it a yoga pants look and is generally considered less appealing than their gold pants option. I think either gold socks or a gold stripe down the side of the Saints' black pants would go a long way to redeeming the whole look.

After over 100 pages, and over a year since I've actively contributed to the CCSLC (good to be back , by the way 😀), I'll chime in on the subject that's been prevalent since the boards' inception over two decades ago, and something of which I've always wanted to give my $0.02.

Yes, many people around here like "classic" looking uniforms. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. Some people prefer modern uniforms. To each their own. I will add, however, that some of those that prefer the classic uniforms like them because that was the style of the league when they first started watching football. Nostalgia does play a factor, but it isn't the only factor. 

I started watching football in 1998. I was about 6 at the time and the league looked a lot different. Hell, the Oilers were still around (beautiful identity, I may add). Growing up in St. Louis and having the blessing of Rams season tickets via my father working for the team, I was around for the Greatest Show on Turf and the classic blue and yellow unis. Stylistically, they were fantastic. I loved the horns on the sleeves and the bright pants. They weren't without their flaws, tho. The helmet was a different shade of blue, the horn on the helmet didn't extent to the front, the numbers existed without an outline. But they were good. When the team transitioned to navy and gold, I actually really liked them. Back in the early to mid-2000s, the gold really popped and the Rams consistently wore two sets of uniforms, blue on gold, and white on gold. It wasn't until later on in the decade that they brought in mono-blue and "Stormtrooper" white uniforms. I remember seeing the gold pants worn only on occasion the latter half of the decade and into the 10s before the move to L.A. By that time, the gold had been basically reduced to a khaki anyway and the uniforms weren't as striking as they once were. 

If I were hard-pressed to choose between the blue and yellow unis of the L.A./St. Louis Rams of the 90s and the navy and gold unis of the early 2000s. Honestly, I would pick the 2000s. They were unique and modern without being too over the top. Navy and gold is a really decent color scheme that isn't utilized in pro sports enough. 

Recently, we've seemed to cater more towards bigger, bolder, more aggressive, and unique identities. Some teams realizing their mistakes have switched to a healthy mix of classic and modern (Vikings, Bills, Dolphins [with the recent update in the right direction]), some teams have over-corrected such as the Jaguars and the 49ers (their 2000s set were among the best in the NFL in my opinion). And some are still trying to take things in a different direction. 

Ultimately, it's personal preference. While I think the Buccaneers uniforms are pretty decent (minus the alarm clock numbers), some think they're awful. And while some think the Jags new threads were a step in the right direction, I think they're among the most uninspired and bland uniforms in NFL history.  

TL;DR: It all comes down to the style of the time and the fans that remember watching their team(s), or just the league in general, playing in said style. Personally, I do believe that there are teams that should remain in their traditional, or historic, look. However, I wouldn't be that upset if they tweaked their uniforms a bit to fit modern aesthetics. 

10 hours ago, BlackJack said:

Maybe that’s what i’m. thinking of. Regardless I feel like i’ve seen players either roll down the socks or roll up their pants. I know Dante Fowler and Telvin Smith did and i’m fairly certain OBJ rolled his pants up making a gap

You are definitely misremembering. The NFL has rules that state pants are to go below the knee and socks have to be pulled up. There was a problem with “biker shorts” where players would wear short pants about a decade ago but with the nfl concerned with safety they mandated that pants had to be below the knee and all pads had to be worn. The socks always had to be pulled up.

This is true.  You'll see players pull the bottom of their pants up over the knee in pregame, or photoshoots, but when the game starts they aren't interested in getting fined, so the pants cover then knee.

And, modern uniform, traditional uniform, whatever.... When the pants and socks are the same color it looks like garbage. No exceptions.

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

A lot of people here would. People here notice when teams tweak- not change but tweak- sock stripes.

Most people here don't like how the black Saints pants look paired with black socks. It gives it a yoga pants look and is generally considered less appealing than their gold pants option. I think either gold socks or a gold stripe down the side of the Saints' black pants would go a long way to redeeming the whole look.

so literally that is all? They wear gold pants for half the season so what’s the concern? And of course people here would notice that’s the point of the website but you think the regular fan will notice?

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This is true.  You'll see players pull the bottom of their pants up over the knee in pregame, or photoshoots, but when the game starts they aren't interested in getting fined, so the pants cover then knee.

well given how untucking your jersey is also against the rules and players still do it i still see it in games

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And, modern uniform, traditional uniform, whatever.... When the pants and socks are the same color it looks like garbage. No exceptions.

again i’m sorry but i just don’t see it. i don’t care and feel you’re making a country out of a town. i just can’t see it and have never noticed sock color so it’s a non issue to me

1 hour ago, dont care said:

You are definitely misremembering. The NFL has rules that state pants are to go below the knee and socks have to be pulled up. There was a problem with “biker shorts” where players would wear short pants about a decade ago but with the nfl concerned with safety they mandated that pants had to be below the knee and all pads had to be worn. The socks always had to be pulled up.

this was from last year. personally i hate the look along with no socks like in college

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

I just don’t see it. i don’t care and feel you’re making a country out of a town. i just can’t see it and have never noticed sock color so it’s a non issue to me

Yeah, you keep say that. That's fine, you don't see it, that works for you. I'd say the vast majority of people who watch sports wouldn't see it either, and that's fine for them. But you just stumbled onto a website where we recently spent pages discussing the minor difference between the Yankees' home number font and their road number font. Pages. Passionately.  It's kinda what we do here.

Archived