FightingGoldenDevil

NFL changes 2019

Recommended Posts

On 7/12/2019 at 11:49 PM, FormerLurker said:

Safe bet that these are just for fans unless we have another “Color Rush” surprise heading our way but a few teams have some items showing up called “inverted” where it’s their current look in a new colorway (some are really cool, some are nightmarish) 

 

Below is the Titans. I’ve also found gray Bears, gray Chiefs, pewter Bucs, gold Saints, and red Giants. Going to play around with url’s And see if i can find other teams.

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

Shop link for Saquon in red so you know these are real items and not a photoshop scam https://www.nflshop.com/new-york-giants/mens-new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-nike-red-inverted-legend-jersey/t-13495657+p-366938316275+z-8-3292104249?SSAID=314743&_s=share-a-sale&utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&sscid=71k3_bj3tk

 

Can you post the grey Chiefs jersey?  It's not on Fanatics.  

Some of these are great, some of them are not...but they will sell nonetheless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

this was from last year. personally i hate the look along with no socks like in college

spacer.png

I don’t see what you are getting at? The pants are to the knee and the socks are pulled up, they might not meet the pants all the time and get pulled down during play but they are pulled up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, FormerLurker said:

Safe bet that these are just for fans unless we have another “Color Rush” surprise heading our way but a few teams have some items showing up called “inverted” where it’s their current look in a new colorway (some are really cool, some are nightmarish) 

 

Below is the Titans. I’ve also found gray Bears, gray Chiefs, pewter Bucs, gold Saints, and red Giants. Going to play around with url’s And see if i can find other teams.

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

Shop link for Saquon in red so you know these are real items and not a photoshop scam https://www.nflshop.com/new-york-giants/mens-new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-nike-red-inverted-legend-jersey/t-13495657+p-366938316275+z-8-3292104249?SSAID=314743&_s=share-a-sale&utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&sscid=71k3_bj3tk

 

 

I feel like these match one of the reddit descriptions that came out before these got unveiled...😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont care said:

I don’t see what you are getting at? The pants are to the knee and the socks are pulled up, they might not meet the pants all the time and get pulled down during play but they are pulled up 

 

Also half the sock has to be white. The white part is barely visible. Not saying it’s a great rule, but it is a rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“The problem with having gold numbers on a white jersey”

 

I am so GD tired of this argument. It’s 2019. Buy a freaking 8k tv if you have trouble seeing those numbers. It sure isn’t a problem in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

“The problem with having gold numbers on a white jersey”

 

I am so GD tired of this argument. It’s 2019. Buy a freaking 8k tv if you have trouble seeing those numbers. It sure isn’t a problem in person.

It has nothing to do with clarity or resolution.. it has to to with instant recognizability with 22 bodies moving in different directions in a relatively small space.. as someone who has spent a significant amount of time broadcasting games on the radio (from the press box), number color matters tremendously.. your eye's ability to perceive the number of a tackler or ball carrier, etc, is heavily dependent upon the typical rule of thumb that colored jerseys should have white numbers, and white jerseys should have colored numbers.. there are some exceptions (silver/yellow/light gold are usually ok on colored jerseys), but that dark, brassy gold on the Ravens jersey is flirting with disaster.. and outlines don't help.. simply having a white outline to help separate colors doesn't help your brain recognize what it's supposed to be seeing.. the issue exists in person, on film, on TV (with or without 8K ultra HD), and any time you might care about identifying players without the help of tight zoom shots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rules* for numbers are simple. Colored jerseys may have white, gold, or silver numbers and that is all.

 

*My rules are unenforceable, but they're real good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It has nothing to do with clarity or resolution.. it has to to with instant recognizability with 22 bodies moving in different directions in a relatively small space.. as someone who has spent a significant amount of time broadcasting games on the radio (from the press box), number color matters tremendously.. your eye's ability to perceive the number of a tackler or ball carrier, etc, is heavily dependent upon the typical rule of thumb that colored jerseys should have white numbers, and white jerseys should have colored numbers.. there are some exceptions (silver/yellow/light gold are usually ok on colored jerseys), but that dark, brassy gold on the Ravens jersey is flirting with disaster.. and outlines don't help.. simply having a white outline to help separate colors doesn't help your brain recognize what it's supposed to be seeing.. the issue exists in person, on film, on TV (with or without 8K ultra HD), and any time you might care about identifying players without the help of tight zoom shots

I totally understand the argument, but i think the saints dark gold and the really bold outline contrast fine against the white. I think their are teams that are much less legible. The Texans color rush fall into this category - the red and white look like a pink blur from a distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

I totally understand the argument, but i think the saints dark gold and the really bold outline contrast fine against the white. I think their are teams that are much less legible. The Texans color rush fall into this category - the red and white look like a pink blur from a distance.

The dark gold is is enough of a "color" in this instance that it works.. I agree with you there.. for the same reason, it doesn't work for the Ravens.. Too much of a "color" to contrast with the purple jersey.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Yeah, you keep say that. That's fine, you don't see it, that works for you. I'd say the vast majority of people who watch sports wouldn't see it either, and that's fine for them. But you just stumbled onto a website where we recently spent pages discussing the minor difference between the Yankees' home number font and their road number font. Pages. Passionately.  It's kinda what we do here.

what is there to argue about aren’t they both generic block numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BlackJack said:

i just don’t understand the arguments and want debate. i can understand hating the bucs but the saints look pretty much the same. like if they changed tomorrow how many people would notice?

 

You can debate without being a dismissive jerk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlackJack said:

so literally that is all? They wear gold pants for half the season so what’s the concern?

The concern is that people don’t like it when the Saints wear the black pants/black sock combo. I don’t know what to tell you if you can’t grasp that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mania said:

 

You can debate without being a dismissive jerk.

i’m not dismissing anything i just don’t understand what they mean by yoga pants and saying imo the saints uniforms haven’t changed that much and any change would be negligible at best 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

The concern is that people don’t like it when the Saints wear the black pants/black sock combo. I don’t know what to tell you if you can’t grasp that. 

fine people don’t like them wearing black pants does that mean scrap the whole set and change everything? Like i just find it kind of nit picky. This set isn’t even ‘new’ it debuted over 20 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

fine people don’t like them wearing black pants does that mean scrap the whole set and change everything? Like i just find it kind of nit picky. This set isn’t even ‘new’ it debuted over 20 years ago

“Nitpicky.” 

I don’t know how else to explain this because @oldschoolvikings did so pretty clearly and you didn’t get it. 

 

This is a community of people who like to discuss the details of sports uniform and logo design. We’ve talked for pages about the differences between block number fonts, we’ve had multi-page arguments over facemask colour (grey masks for life) and we’ve debated sock stripes. Sock stripes! 

 

This is a community where we get into the details. If you’ve never noticed sock colour? Congrats, but this is a message board for people who are very interested in sports uniform aesthetics. This stuff is noticeable to us.

Going around saying “this stuff doesn’t matter no one will notice” like you’ve been doing misses the point of this community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Saints wore only the gold pants for home and away the team would be in the fine category. Sure I would still love the older set, but these would be passable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BlackJack said:

i just don’t understand the arguments and want debate. i can understand hating the bucs but the saints look pretty much the same. like if they changed tomorrow how many people would notice?

 

The problem with the Saints’ look is that it’s so extraordinarily mediocre in every way. They have decent bones, but one little detail can and does flatten out every part. You say it’s clean, but I find it clunky, messy, and undercooked.

 

They have a truly great logo. It’s an absolute, near perfect icon in concept, and it used to look fantastic as a single color or single outline graphic. Now they insist on adding several outlines to clutter it up. That’s not clean.

 

They used to wear a beautiful old gold color. Now they insist on muting it and taking away all the richness.

 

They used to celebrate gold all over the place (pants, helmet, numbers, stripes). Now they insist on black pants, black numbers, no stripes, etc. Black is certainly one of their main colors, but in my opinion, their identity was much more unique (and, well, saintly) when there was a greater focus on gold and white.

 

They used to have a nice pant stripe that coordinated well with the helmet stripe. Now they insist on a solid black stripe that doesn’t really coordinate with anything (or no stripes at all in the case of the black pants).

 

That big honkin’ collar is the least clean thing I’ve ever seen. Same with the unnecessary, redundant logos on the sleeves and pants. This isn’t NASCAR.

 

The real travesty, though, is that the Saints’ look has very little character or personality. It’s a stock catalog look (heck, it’s even plain by catalog standards) on a team that has so much interesting inspiration at their fingertips. As a team representing a city with such a rich, unique history, they’ve missed a huge opportunity to bring in details of the French architecture, the food, the music, etc. It would be one thing if they felt like an untouchable heritage brand the same way the Packers, Bears, Colts, or Giants do, but they’ve never felt that way to me, and I think they really need to reinvent their look in a tastefully distinctive way. All it would take is some experimentation with color and (possibly) stripes, and just a little custom decoration in the same vein as what the Pelicans (and before that, the Hornets) employ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

If the Saints wore only the gold pants for home and away the team would be in the fine category. Sure I would still love the older set, but these would be passable.

what if their current sets were what they always were would you feel the same way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

The problem with the Saints’ look is that it’s so extraordinarily mediocre in every way. They have decent bones, but one little detail can and does flatten out every part. You say it’s clean, but I find it clunky, messy, and undercooked.

how? They have more detail than the giants and i don’t see you complaining

Quote

 

They have a truly great logo. It’s an absolute, near perfect icon in concept, and it used to look fantastic as a single color or single outline graphic. Now they insist on adding several outlines to clutter it up. That’s not clean.

there’s only 2 outlines. that isn’t messy and it is noticeable and recognizable 

Quote

 

They used to wear a beautiful old gold color. Now they insist on muting it and taking away all the richness.

their new gold adds much more shininess and real gold to it. They’re both perfectly fine

Quote

 

They used to celebrate gold all over the place (pants, helmet, numbers, stripes). Now they insist on black pants, black numbers, no stripes, etc. Black is certainly one of their main colors, but in my opinion, their identity was much more unique (and, well, saintly) when there was a greater focus on gold and white.

they wear gold pants half the year. I disagree on the numbers gold doesn’t look recognizable on white ad their home jerseys are black so their away numbers should match that

Quote

 

They used to have a nice pant stripe that coordinated well with the helmet stripe. Now they insist on a solid black stripe that doesn’t really coordinate with anything (or no stripes at all in the case of the black pants).

again why does this matter? I don’t even remember their old pants with any white. also their old gold colored pants are hideous 

Quote

That big honkin’ collar is the least clean thing I’ve ever seen. Same with the unnecessary, redundant logos on the sleeves and pants. This isn’t NASCAR.

 

again complaining for for the sake of complaining 

Quote

The real travesty, though, is that the Saints’ look has very little character or personality. It’s a stock catalog look (heck, it’s even plain by catalog standards) on a team that has so much interesting inspiration at their fingertips. As a team representing a city with such a rich, unique history, they’ve missed a huge opportunity to bring in details of the French architecture, the food, the music, etc. It would be one thing if they felt like an untouchable heritage brand the same way the Packers, Bears, Colts, or Giants do, but they’ve never felt that way to me, and I think they really need to reinvent their look in a tastefully distinctive way. All it would take is some experimentation with color and (possibly) stripes, and just a little custom decoration in the same vein as what the Pelicans (and before that, the Hornets) employ.

and if they did you’d probably call it gimmicky. I’m sorry but much of this comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining. If the saints always wore their current sets you’d think they’re amazing

 

os there any uniform redesign that you feel upgrade the uniforms in the modern nfl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

“Nitpicky.” 

I don’t know how else to explain this because @oldschoolvikings did so pretty clearly and you didn’t get it. 

 

This is a community of people who like to discuss the details of sports uniform and logo design. We’ve talked for pages about the differences between block number fonts, we’ve had multi-page arguments over facemask colour (grey masks for life) and we’ve debated sock stripes. Sock stripes! 

 

This is a community where we get into the details. If you’ve never noticed sock colour? Congrats, but this is a message board for people who are very interested in sports uniform aesthetics. This stuff is noticeable to us.

Going around saying “this stuff doesn’t matter no one will notice” like you’ve been doing misses the point of this community.

being detailed focused doesn’t mean you can’t be nit picky. If i say i hate the giants uniforms because their helmets at RBG0-39-0 and their jerseys are RGB0-40-0 i’m sure you’d say i’m being nit picky 

 

also why do you like gray face masks they look ugly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.