NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

we’ve had multi-page arguments over facemask colour (grey masks for life) and we’ve debated sock stripes. Sock stripes! 

13 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

also why do you like gray face masks they look ugly

*color facemasks are superior*

19 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

there any uniform redesign that you feel upgrade the uniforms in the modern nfl?

Vikes, Lions, Phins after they ditched the navy. 

12 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Yes. I never loved the Namath era Jets and didn’t love it when they came back.

interesting. out of curiosity do you have a reason? What do you think of their redesign? Are there any other uniforms you disliked? 

Personally I think the brighter green is a step up and i love the black unis but it just lacks something. Maybe it’s the weird numbers or the text style of the new york wordmark on the chest (was a little disappointed the away didn’t say Jets) or the refusal to incorporate a jet into their logo and just made their old logo slightly larger but i just don’t know. Love the helmets though 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, FormerLurker said:

Safe bet that these are just for fans unless we have another “Color Rush” surprise heading our way but a few teams have some items showing up called “inverted” where it’s their current look in a new colorway (some are really cool, some are nightmarish) 

Below is the Titans. I’ve also found gray Bears, gray Chiefs, pewter Bucs, gold Saints, and red Giants. Going to play around with url’s And see if i can find other teams.

spacer.png

Shop link for Saquon in red so you know these are real items and not a photoshop scam https://www.nflshop.com/new-york-giants/mens-new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-nike-red-inverted-legend-jersey/t-13495657+p-366938316275+z-8-3292104249?SSAID=314743&_s=share-a-sale&utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&sscid=71k3_bj3tk

*cries in Texans*

I know Titans had a red fashion jersey before, but stop ripping us off. 

2 minutes ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

*color facemasks are superior*

Vikes, Lions, Phins after they ditched the navy. 

is this a comparison to their previous uniforms or their classic ones? Like are the vikings new uniforms better than these specifically?

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

If i say i hate the giants uniforms because their helmets at RBG0-39-0 and their jerseys are RGB0-40-0 i’m sure you’d say i’m being nit picky 

We've actually had a number of discussions around these parts discussing how different materials often lead jerseys and helmets that are supposed to be the same colour looking different enough to be noticeable.

47 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

also why do you like gray face masks they look ugly 

It's an understated and classy look.

Anyway you seem content to whine at people for not agreeing with you so I'm unsure what you're looking to get out of a message board.

21 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

is this a comparison to their previous uniforms or their classic ones? Like are the vikings new uniforms better than these specifically?

spacer.png

In comparison to the most of the redesigns of the past decade of which Nike have overseen all but two years. The classic Vikes are just that: classic. But since that that club felt like they needed a new look and adapt to changing tastes in aesthetics, they got a new set and looked the best that had in a while. They just need striped socks with their purple pants.

1 hour ago, BlackJack said:

os there any uniform redesign that you feel upgrade the uniforms in the modern nfl?

The Bucs' change in 1997 was an upgrade.

The Jets' change in 1998 was an upgrade.

The Patriots' change in 2000 was an upgrade.

The Giants' changes in 2000 and 2005 changes were upgrades over what came before.

The Cardinals' change in 2005 was a half upgrade. The unis got worse but the logo got better.

The 49ers' change in 2009 was an upgrade.

The Lions' changes in both 2009 and 2017 were upgrades over what came before.

The Bills' change in 2011 was an upgrade.

The Vikings' change in 2013 was an upgrade.

The Jags' change in 2018 was an upgrade.

The Chargers going with powder blue full-time in 2019 will be an upgrade.

6 hours ago, BlackJack said:

interesting. out of curiosity do you have a reason? What do you think of their redesign? Are there any other uniforms you disliked? 

Personally I think the brighter green is a step up and i love the black unis but it just lacks something. Maybe it’s the weird numbers or the text style of the new york wordmark on the chest (was a little disappointed the away didn’t say Jets) or the refusal to incorporate a jet into their logo and just made their old logo slightly larger but i just don’t know. Love the helmets though 

Really like the new colors. Don’t love the helmet logo choice. The uniforms look like they were picked from a 2003 high school football uniform provider catalog. But thankfully one of the lesser offensive ones. Just boring.

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bucs' change in 1997 was an upgrade.

The Jets' change in 1998 was an upgrade.

The Patriots' change in 2000 was an upgrade.

The Giants' changes in 2000 and 2005 changes were upgrades over what came before.

The Cardinals' change in 2005 was a half upgrade. The unis got worse but the logo got better.

The 49ers' change in 2009 was an upgrade.

The Lions' changes in both 2009 and 2017 were upgrades over what came before.

The Bills' change in 2011 was an upgrade.

The Vikings' change in 2013 was an upgrade.

The Jags' change in 2018 was an upgrade.

The Chargers going with powder blue full-time in 2019 will be an upgrade.

again are these redesign in respect of their old classic looks or heir previous? Because no :censored:ing way the Jags new uniforms are better than their originals. They literally are the most generic uniforms by Nike like they forgot to fill out anything. Also i’m surprised you prefer the red over the creamsicle for the Bucs

28 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

again are these redesign in respect of their old classic looks or heir previous? Because no :censored:ing way the Jags new uniforms are better than their originals. They literally are the most generic uniforms by Nike like they forgot to fill out anything. Also i’m surprised you prefer the red over the creamsicle for the Bucs

I believe what he meant was that he believes the Jags' 2018 change was an upgrade over the previous set, not necessarily the original uniform set.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

11 hours ago, BlackJack said:

how? They have more detail than the giants and i don’t see you complaining

there’s only 2 outlines. that isn’t messy and it is noticeable and recognizable 

their new gold adds much more shininess and real gold to it. They’re both perfectly fine

they wear gold pants half the year. I disagree on the numbers gold doesn’t look recognizable on white ad their home jerseys are black so their away numbers should match that

again why does this matter? I don’t even remember their old pants with any white. also their old gold colored pants are hideous 

again complaining for for the sake of complaining 

and if they did you’d probably call it gimmicky. I’m sorry but much of this comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining. If the saints always wore their current sets you’d think they’re amazing

os there any uniform redesign that you feel upgrade the uniforms in the modern nfl?

I can tell how this is going to go, so unless it becomes more productive, I’m going to exit this debate after I respond.

1. The Giants are not relevant to what we’re talking about. There’s no false equivalency to be made there. I only used the Giants as an example of a heritage football brand that’s understandably resistant to build a more contemporary identity. If you’re curious, I do like their look, but I think it could be better.

2. The Saints’ logo has three outlines. The only time it has fewer is on a black background. Personally, I don’t agree they make it noticeable or recognizable.

Here’s a good example:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The old logo is indisputably clearer and better defined from a distance (despite the photo itself being much less focused). There’s a reason outlines aren’t used as often in non-sports identities; most of the time, they’re just a crutch rather than a functional solution to the problem.

3. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on gold. To me, the new one looks washed out, dingy (especially under the Superdome lights), and most definitely not shiny or realistic. The flat screen print equivalent is equally unappealing, or at least it was back when I worked on NFL stuff.

4. No other team uses gold numbers on their white jersey. That’s essentially the definition of recognizable. Maybe you meant to say readable? In that case, the heavier trim and the darker gold is what made it work. Either way, it was much more unique and it worked fine from a functional standpoint.

5. Why does it matter? It’s design. Coordination amongst the elements is everything. Of course, that does *not* mean everything has to match, but it helps when certain elements coordinate with others. The uniform had balance and flow when the pant stripe complemented the helmet stripe. The current gold pants make it look like they couldn’t afford the ones with the matching stripe.

6. Old gold is simply better in every way with no exceptions. You will never change my mind on this.

7. If it was done well, I would not think it was gimmicky. It doesn’t need a lot, but it needs something.

Lastly, I’m not complaining. The Saints are the epitome of “just fine” and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. This is the first time I’ve ever written a critique on the Saints, and it’s because you specifically asked for debate. However, it doesn’t really sound like you want debate; you come across like you just want people to agree with you, for what it’s worth.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly I'm surprised Nike hasn't introduced a darker "Brass Gold" to the Saints "in the spirit of legendary New Orleans jazz musicians and big brass bands".

Seems like a no-brainer. And getting rid the extra outlines on the logo (and making the logo big again) seems like a no-brainer as well. 

Old, brassy gold always looks great for the Saints, Purdue, and Army football...way better than the modern shift to tan gold. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The Saints’ logo has three outlines. The only time it has fewer is on a black background. Personally, I don’t agree they make it noticeable or recognizable.

Here’s a good example:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The old logo is indisputably clearer and better defined from a distance (despite the photo itself being much less focused). There’s a reason outlines aren’t used as often in non-sports identities; most of the time, they’re just a crutch rather than a functional solution to the problem.

DeafeningNewGrayreefshark-small.gif

Couldn’t agree more.

The extra outlines are pointless visual clutter that downgrade the logo.

If the Saints wanted to include gold in their primary logo, they should have just added a gold outline for other applications, like the Packers did in the 1980s.

spacer.png

This logo didn’t need anything else. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:49 PM, FormerLurker said:

Safe bet that these are just for fans unless we have another “Color Rush” surprise heading our way but a few teams have some items showing up called “inverted” where it’s their current look in a new colorway (some are really cool, some are nightmarish) 

Below is the Titans. I’ve also found gray Bears, gray Chiefs, pewter Bucs, gold Saints, and red Giants. Going to play around with url’s And see if i can find other teams.

spacer.png

Shop link for Saquon in red so you know these are real items and not a photoshop scam https://www.nflshop.com/new-york-giants/mens-new-york-giants-saquon-barkley-nike-red-inverted-legend-jersey/t-13495657+p-366938316275+z-8-3292104249?SSAID=314743&_s=share-a-sale&utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&sscid=71k3_bj3tk

I know this jersey is fashion, but this looks nice,actually. Although I'm not a fan of grey shoulders and blue side panels. I noticed Titans aren't using red on their uniforms. But I prefer navy and columbia blue because there are too many NFL teams using red and navy/royal blue. Least, that's a good jersey. 

Wait... this reminds me of Red Sox's red alts...

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

DeafeningNewGrayreefshark-small.gif

Couldn’t agree more.

The extra outlines are pointless visual clutter that downgrade the logo.

If the Saints wanted to include gold in their primary logo, they should have just added a gold outline for other applications, like the Packers did in the 1980s.

spacer.png

This logo didn’t need anything else. 

Personally, I like the additional black outline, but the gold one thrown in sort of weakens any argument for extra outlines.. I think B/W/B would look great, but that gold outline muddles the whole set of outlines - if not the entire logo.. we can all agree that the gold outline needs to go.. I like the outermost black outline though..

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I can tell how this is going to go, so unless it becomes more productive, I’m going to exit this debate after I respond.

1. The Giants are not relevant to what we’re talking about. There’s no false equivalency to be made there. I only used the Giants as an example of a heritage football brand that’s understandably resistant to build a more contemporary identity. If you’re curious, I do like their look, but I think it could be better.

2. The Saints’ logo has three outlines. The only time it has fewer is on a black background. Personally, I don’t agree they make it noticeable or recognizable.

Here’s a good example:

spacer.png

spacer.png

3. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on gold. To me, the new one looks washed out, dingy (especially under the Superdome lights), and most definitely not shiny or realistic. The flat screen print equivalent is equally unappealing, or at least it was back when I worked on NFL stuff.

4. No other team uses gold numbers on their white jersey. That’s essentially the definition of recognizable. Maybe you meant to say readable? In that case, the heavier trim and the darker gold is what made it work. Either way, it was much more unique and it worked fine from a functional standpoint.

5. Why does it matter? It’s design. Coordination amongst the elements is everything. Of course, that does *not* mean everything has to match, but it helps when certain elements coordinate with others. The uniform had balance and flow when the pant stripe complemented the helmet stripe. The current gold pants make it look like they couldn’t afford the ones with the matching stripe.

6. Old gold is simply better in every way with no exceptions. You will never change my mind on this.

7. If it was done well, I would not think it was gimmicky. It doesn’t need a lot, but it needs something.

Lastly, I’m not complaining. The Saints are the epitome of “just fine” and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. This is the first time I’ve ever written a critique on the Saints, and it’s because you specifically asked for debate. However, it doesn’t really sound like you want debate; you come across like you just want people to agree with you, for what it’s worth.

I agree with everything you said except your #2 and photo examples.. you chose a photo that featured less glossy paint, less glossy decals, and an overall larger logo decal, and compared it to a glossier/shinier helmet with glossier decals (that also happen to be smaller) AND have a light reflection obscuring the logo.. to compare the two (particularly with regard to visibility) is simply unfair given your example.. I agree that the old gold is superior, but as stated above, I prefer the outer outline to be black.. I think if you removed the gold outline from the current logo, enlarged it to the old size, and put it on a helmet that was the older/brassy gold, it would look phenomenal and equally as visible as the old version

Just now, Gothamite said:

B/W/B is one outline too many.   No helmet logo needs two outlines around it. 

I just think it looks good that way.. I prefer the outer outline to be black, and I prefer the logo to be black.. that kinda limits the possibilities

Archived