FightingGoldenDevil

NFL changes 2019

Recommended Posts

I wonder why the NFL considers the Packers Inaugural season 1919, before the NFL was founded, but does not count the Bears (1919) or Cardinals (1898) pre-NFL years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

is there a league with sadder apparel than the NFL? 

 

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

 

I think the NBA is worse.

The NHL hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I just feel that different leagues and or levels have different asthetics. You can wear stuff in minor league baseball that is awesome, but would never fly in the majors. Monochrome uniforms work in the arena leagues, D2 colleges, highschools, but bother me at major college programs, and look horribly out of place in the NFL. 

The NFL has certain conventions that, when you see them, tell you this is a professional team at the highest level. There needs to contrast between the jersey, the pants (excepting white on white), and the socks. Game pants have stripes or a stripe like graphic. Dark jerseys are worn with  lighter pants. Within these basic guidelines, you can have a lot of variation in terms of colors, graphics, etc. If the Seahawks wore their gray pants exclusively, they would follow all these guidelines, and still have a modern, envelope-pushing uniform that stood out in the league. They'd just finally look like they belonged.

 

Monochrome doesn’t look good in the NFL, especially with the typically matching leotard socks. But somehow, it doesn’t bother me at all in college. Maybe it’s because schools have been doing it for a while or that college teams usually wear lower ankle height socks, but none of these looks bother me (I just picked a few at random to highlight my point). They are very much a staple of the college game and look perfectly fine, in my opinion.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

 

Monochrome doesn’t look good in the NFL, especially with the typically matching leotard socks. But somehow, it doesn’t bother me at all in college. Maybe it’s because schools have been doing it for a while or that college teams usually wear lower ankle height socks, but none of these looks bother me (I just picked a few at random to highlight my point). They are very much a staple of the college game and look perfectly fine, in my opinion.

 

spacer.png

 

And I'd argue that all the above look significantly better with white (or gold) pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

And I'd argue that all the above look significantly better with white (or gold) pants.

I agree with you that they look better with the usual pants, but they don’t bother me to the extent that NFL monochrome looks do, probably due to the socks (and maybe due to tradition, most NFL monochrome sets have only been introduced within the last decade or so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Browns disaster was enough to keep contrasting stitching away from the NFL for a long while. I was obviously wrong, these road hats are absolutely horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I just feel that different leagues and or levels have different asthetics. You can wear stuff in minor league baseball that is awesome, but would never fly in the majors. Monochrome uniforms work in the arena leagues, D2 colleges, highschools, but bother me at major college programs, and look horribly out of place in the NFL. 

The NFL has certain conventions that, when you see them, tell you this is a professional team at the highest level. There needs to contrast between the jersey, the pants (excepting white on white), and the socks. Game pants have stripes or a stripe like graphic. Dark jerseys are worn with  lighter pants. Within these basic guidelines, you can have a lot of variation in terms of colors, graphics, etc. If the Seahawks wore their gray pants exclusively, they would follow all these guidelines, and still have a modern, envelope-pushing uniform that stood out in the league. They'd just finally look like they belonged.

 

I don’t disagree, and felt that way when the Broncos came out with their look, and then a Teams started playing around with mono - especially stripe less pants. I guess it’s just the era of the “professional uniform” is over, so I rate A little differently now. 

 

Im a bit of a hypocrite because I trash the d-backs for having uniforms that belong in a u18 softball league rather than MLB, but the mlb aesthetic hasn’t veered as far to the left as the nfl.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WavePunter said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Couple quick/rough adjustments that drastically improve the set imo..

 

YES! Just remove the side panel. Maybe fix the pants. The numbers are fine but could also change. These aren't THAT different from their original set and they look perfect. The Bengals get way too much hate for being an adjustment away from perfection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some of you may remember, the Titans announced that they were beefing up the numbers on the columbia blue alternate uniforms by "about ¾ of an inch more in 2019".

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-to-make-a-slight-modification-to-the-light-blue-jerseys-for-2019

 

Well, it seems that we're getting our first look now as the defense has been rocking the thicker numbers in practice-

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Here's a side-by side to give a better idea-

 

spacer.png

 

I've addressed it before, but the new font developed by Nike is too thin and doesn't fit the name "Titans" very well at all. It's obviously a small tweak, but it looks a lot better in my eyes and makes me wish that they'd adjust the numbers like this for all colors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I just feel that different leagues and or levels have different asthetics. You can wear stuff in minor league baseball that is awesome, but would never fly in the majors. Monochrome uniforms work in the arena leagues, D2 colleges, highschools, but bother me at major college programs, and look horribly out of place in the NFL. 

The NFL has certain conventions that, when you see them, tell you this is a professional team at the highest level. There needs to contrast between the jersey, the pants (excepting white on white), and the socks. Game pants have stripes or a stripe like graphic. Dark jerseys are worn with  lighter pants. Within these basic guidelines, you can have a lot of variation in terms of colors, graphics, etc. If the Seahawks wore their gray pants exclusively, they would follow all these guidelines, and still have a modern, envelope-pushing uniform that stood out in the league. They'd just finally look like they belonged.

 

I definitely understand where you’re coming from (and agree for the most part), but I also think that team identity and brand positioning are important to the discussion. Not every team is the Giants, Bears, or Packers, and I think the vibe that some newer teams are cultivating make monochrome uniforms more appropriate in that context. I think there’s also something to be said for variety. A homogeneous look among 16 teams is a lot different than a homogeneous look among 32, like we have today. Do the Seahawks look great in blue over white or grey? Yes, but I don’t think they look odd in all blue. They pull it off because of their identity and the brand they’ve built with it, and there are a handful of teams that can pull it off for the same reasons. It obviously goes wrong when heritage brands are forced into something like Color Rush, but ultimately, I think the debate should focus more on brand context than a very subjective blanket statement like all professional teams should wear contrasting pants because that’s how they’ve always done it. Some teams have no interest in the past and their brand strategy reflects that. It would be just as silly to arbitrarily force those teams into historically conventional aesthetics “just because.”

 

If I were shopping for car, I’d expect the “professional” employees at a midwestern Cadillac dealer to dress and present themselves differently (more traditional, white shirts and ties, etc.) than the employees at a Subaru dealer in Seattle (more casual, outdoorsy, etc.), and that’s simply because of branding and regional culture. I don’t see why sports teams have to be any different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

 

 

I definitely understand where you’re coming from (and agree for the most part), but I also think that team identity and brand positioning are important to the discussion. Not every team is the Giants, Bears, or Packers, and I think the vibe that some newer teams are cultivating make monochrome uniforms more appropriate in that context. I think there’s also something to be said for variety. A homogeneous look among 16 teams is a lot different than a homogeneous look among 32, like we have today. Do the Seahawks look great in blue over white or grey? Yes, but I don’t think they look odd in all blue. They pull it off because of their identity and the brand they’ve built with it, and there are a handful of teams that can pull it off for the same reasons. It obviously goes wrong when heritage brands are forced into something like Color Rush, but ultimately, I think the debate should focus more on brand context than a very subjective blanket statement like all professional teams should wear contrasting pants because that’s how they’ve always done it. Some teams have no interest in the past and their brand strategy reflects that. It would be just as silly to arbitrarily force those teams into historically conventional aesthetics “just because.”

 

If I were shopping for car, I’d expect the “professional” employees at a midwestern Cadillac dealer to dress and present themselves differently (more traditional, white shirts and ties, etc.) than the employees at a Subaru dealer in Seattle (more casual, outdoorsy, etc.), and that’s simply because of branding and regional culture. I don’t see why sports teams have to be any different.

I'd argue that they don't 'pull it off'. I'd say rather that they reacted to the kewl kidz (used for effect) at the college level who did this first. My hope is that, much like sansabelt pants, this 'fad' will go away and be replaced by a more historically used trend as described by oldschoolvikings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got this email this morning... black uniforms are bad enough

 

PFURDVp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny how they say “a fresh take on the traditional jersey.” Ah, yes, that classic Jets jersey that is steeped in history, worn by Jets players dating all the way back to the spring of 2019 at team photoshoots. That jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

It’s funny how they say “a fresh take on the traditional jersey.” Ah, yes, that classic Jets jersey that is steeped in history, worn by Jets players dating all the way back to the spring of 2019 at team photoshoots. That jersey.

Was thinking the exact same thing. These brand new uniforms really needed to be freshened up with grey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WavePunter said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Couple quick/rough adjustments that drastically improve the set imo..

 

Basically this with the aforementioned chest wordmark tweak is pretty much my ideal bengals uniforms. They have an almost perfect set. 

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'd argue that they don't 'pull it off'. I'd say rather that they reacted to the kewl kidz (used for effect) at the college level who did this first. My hope is that, much like sansabelt pants, this 'fad' will go away and be replaced by a more historically used trend as described by oldschoolvikings.

 

As an outsider looking in... I (and partly bc of the Seahawks) associate Seattle with dreary skys but still a fun city. I think since the Hasselbeck years the navy with just a touch of neon green has reflected that vibe. I don't think that look would work at all if they relocated to Miami for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

Looks like the Steelers are using new practice jerseys. Haven't seen this template on any team except Oregon practices.

spacer.png

That template on Game Jersey materials would be great for a Batman Uniform Throwback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

The first thing the Panthers should do is get rid of silver. The helmet can be either black or white, but the silver needs to go everywhere. It muddies up the look, and can easily be replaced with white. If you want to limit teams to three sets, fine, but for the Panthers, those would be easily all black with blue socks, all white with blue socks, and a blue over white alternate. I think some of the best looks in the NFL come from monochrome looks (Seahawks all-blue included), but I don't think "traditional" teams should wear them. Let the new guys experiment, and I fully believe lots of these experiments were successful, the Panthers being the foremost. I can't think of another NFL team that hit it right off the bat quite like the Panthers did. Are the jerseys perfect? No, there's things to improve, like the helmet and pants stripe. But they're pretty darn close, and the fans love them, which is the most important thing to ownership, to much chagrin from sports aesthetics aficionados like ourselves.


I personally feel like the silver is the perfect contrast for the blue and black. White anywhere on then uniform other than the numbers would be too much of an eyesore with the black jerseys and black helmets would make them too monochromatic. One of the reasons the black tops/black bottoms work well on Carolina is because the silver balances out the uniforms. The only real changes Carolina needs is a reimagined stripe pattern. Also, keeping a silver helmet lets them keep the option open for throwbacks complete with the 90s word mark and redzones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.