FightingGoldenDevil

NFL changes 2019

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And the worst part about it was the blue pants.  As long as this is monochrome from the neck down it goes without saying that this will always be their worst choice.

And there really isn't even a quick save. If you use white pants, then the gold numbers don't work, and if you use gold pants, then the white helmet will get complaints.  Enough Band-Aids and partial fixes.  The chargers need to stop half-assing it, go ahead and adopt light blue and gold as their color scheme and design a new uniform specifically for those colors. Use the 60's as a reference, but get it right.

I think white pants would look fine with it. Gold and white are sprinkled pretty evenly around that uniform, and there’s enough of both to not make one or the other look odd.

Dark blue as their primary color never really did it for me, but I don’t have a preference between the light blue or the medium blue. They both look great and the team shuffled back and forth between light and medium blue throughout their early years. They just need to pick one and form a clear identity.

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think white pants would look fine with it. Gold and white are sprinkled pretty evenly around that uniform, and there’s enough of both to not make one or the other look odd.

White helmet, white pants, but non-white numbers?  Hard to picture.  In my mind, it doesn't work, and I can't think of any team that's tried it, off the top of my head.  If fact, I can't really think of a team wearing white pants but non-white numbers on a dark jersey (example, the recent navy blue jersey Rams) that I thought worked.

1 hour ago, HailGoldPants said:

You have good eyes. It changed in 2017, but I really couldn't notice the difference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/washington.cbslocal.com/2017/02/06/redskins-change-uniform-color/amp/

They also darkened it around 2001 before that. I think the current shade is a nice balance between the Gibbs era shade and the classic dark burgundy.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, pagan696 said:

followup on the Panthers uni updates from the team:

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-new-uniforms-2019-nike-vapor-untouchable

The Panthers made a couple other modifications to their design. The Panther head is gone from the side of the pants to allow for greater flexibility. The dazzle cloth on the shoulders is also gone, as it wasn’t compatible with this Nike template.

The idea that a certain kind of fabric isn’t compatible with a template in 2019 is utterly ridiculous. 

12 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The Panthers made a couple other modifications to their design. The Panther head is gone from the side of the pants to allow for greater flexibility. The dazzle cloth on the shoulders is also gone, as it wasn’t compatible with this Nike template.

The idea that a certain kind of fabric isn’t compatible with a template in 2019 is utterly ridiculous. 

The fact that teams in 2018 actually used dazzle fabric is more ridiculous to me.

3 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

OTEKApz.gif

Stupid sexy Panthers. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

White helmet, white pants, but non-white numbers?  Hard to picture.  In my mind, it doesn't work, and I can't think of any team that's tried it, off the top of my head.  If fact, I can't really think of a team wearing white pants but non-white numbers on a dark jersey (example, the recent navy blue jersey Rams) that I thought worked.

I get it. It’s not exactly a conventional look, but I think that has as much to do with how few opportunities there are to showcase it than how good it looks. I happen to like white pants against a dark jersey with non-white numbers (if done right, obviously). I often find that non-white numbers paired with pants of the same color make for a uniform that’s too rich and saturated. The white pants offer a rest for the eyes. The Steelers’ throwbacks from a few years back come to mind.

I think the reason it would work for the Chargers is because the gold bolt on the helmet, the gold numbers, and gold bolt on the pants carry the color throughout the uniform and make gold more of a co-primary color with the white and blue (which act as background colors). Making the numbers white starts to relegate gold to tertiary status, which is fine, but I think the gold numbers really made that uniform distinctive and lively. They tend to look a little more, I don’t want to say “drab” because we’re talking about very vibrant colors, but they definitely look less electric when the blue and white dominate with gold playing such a minor role.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The issue is how the old shoulder insert was constructed. The stripes were separate strips of dazzle fabric either joined to or stacked on top of each other, which was a very rare technique (I feel like it’s been decades since anyone constructed a shoulder insert like that). The new panels are either inlaid rib knit (this is how most LSU-style inserts are done), or they’re just sublimated panels that are inlaid the same way the rib knit ones are.

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Does the removing the Panther logo make THAT much of a difference? 

When a garment is supposed to stretch and form to the body, adding a patch is counter to the function. The patch itself does not stretch, and the thread used to attach it likely does not, either. Even seams inhibit a fabric’s stretch, which is one reason why you’re seeing more sublimated pant stripes instead of inlaid rib knit these days. What ends up happening is the area where the patch or seam is applied can’t stretch as intended, and the surrounding areas have to pick up the slack, resulting in warped stripes, more stress on the areas around the patch, faster wear in that area, greater chance for failure, and inhibited comfort and range of motion (you can see below, especially on the player at the far right, how the patches pinched and warped the stripes when their natural pliability should allow them to stretch around the hip in that area).

spacer.png

Taking into account that it’s completely ridiculous and unnecessary to have 6 (or even 4) of the same logo on the uniform, I think the choice is easy, and they made the best one here.

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The fact that teams in 2018 actually used dazzle fabric is more ridiculous to me.

Here's the thing... When Richardson owned the team, he stated that the uniforms wouldn't change as long as he owned the team, which included not using Nike's new template

(Here's the link for proof that I'm not crazy) With a new owner, things are changing (yay!)

The Packers and the Panthers were the ONLY teams to use the dazzle fabric in 2018. I think the uniform looks better w/o the panther logo on the pants. 

I hoping for a helmet change next season (black black black)🤞

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It’s not a good look.

spacer.png

21 hours ago, Chawls said:
For the record, uniform cleat colors are no longer mandated by the NFL, correct? Meaning teams are no longer required to officially be either a black or white cleat team? 

I wish they would go back to it ....looks bad on television seeing different colors on players best 

On 8/10/2019 at 9:13 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

The Niners have their classic script and helmets painted in the end zone.

It looks incredible. They need to keep this forever. 

And red end zones at the end of the home schedule also like at candlestick

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Dark blue as their primary color never really did it for me, but I don’t have a preference between the light blue or the medium blue. They both look great and the team shuffled back and forth between light and medium blue throughout their early years. They just need to pick one and form a clear identity.

Thankfully it looks like sharing a city with team who uses royal/gold as their primary colors is forcing them to go full powder(nevermind the fans who are also behind the powder).

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

It’s not a good look.

spacer.png

In fairness, that wouldn't look good regardless of pant color.

Weren't these well received? I thought they were. Colored numbers, white pants. This look works I think.

spacer.png

Didn't the 93 Patriots have red numbers on a blue jersey with white pants?

7 hours ago, schlim said:

Didn't the 93 Patriots have red numbers on a blue jersey with white pants?

Yeah not great, red numbers on blue just doesn’t look good regardless of the pants.