NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

love the new sock rule. long over due. my biggest uniform pet peeve is white cleats paired with the standard sock— makes players look like they're wearing go-go-boots. white ones especially need some decoration, but its a really nice, simplified look that compliments the players leg much better. i never would have thought the NFL would care enough about socks to do this so it seems someone is looking out for the details over there. good stuff

100% agree with this and have been saying it for years.  Super thankful to see they finally made this rule change.  

On 8/31/2019 at 5:38 PM, Old School Fool said:

This sock rule has me curious about the possibilities. The Ravens could wear their purple CR socks with black pants and the Bills could wear their red CR socks with the blue pants.

Honestly...those both sound like youth football combos in my head. 

I happen to have a friend whose son's youth team is the Ravens and they wear that exact combo. 

I'm gonna miss mandatory white bottoms. This is gonna bother me more than it should 😢

On 8/29/2019 at 6:35 PM, 4_tattoos said:

About time the league ditched the sock rule. Never liked or understood it.

Guess the last league mandated (this must be this color) piece of team equipment/uniform are the solid white chinstraps.

I kind of wish that wasn't mandated either. I think it'd be fine as long as individual teams would all be all wearing the same color chinstrap.

Funny how it seems most of my uniform preferences are based on nostalgia from my favorite team's glory years. 😅

jacksonville-jaguars-running-back-fred-t

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

50 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I kind of wish that wasn't mandated either. I think it'd be fine as long as individual teams would all be all wearing the same color chinstrap.

Funny how it seems most of my uniform preferences are based on nostalgia from my favorite team's glory years. 😅

I agree completely. Dark chinstraps really help pull together a helmet, instead of standing out like white does. Hopefully just a matter of time...

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I agree completely. Dark chinstraps really help pull together a helmet, instead of standing out like white does. Hopefully just a matter of time...

Certain teams with Black as a brand color could possibly benefit from black chinstraps/helmet bumpers (Ravens, Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles), but I think this might be one area the NFL sticks to its guns with.  Colors I think should be off-limits no matter what as they look terrible when I’ve seen them done at any lower level.

Socks are one thing...but when you start swapping out color components on something as iconic as a team helmet and the brand becomes devalued.  That little bit of White helps create some needed contrast between helmet components.  

I think that unless it was for a “Color Rush” or alternate situation, this is a “no” for me at the NFL level.

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

Certain teams with Black as a brand color could possibly benefit from black chinstraps/helmet bumpers (Ravens, Raiders, Saints, Falcons, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles), but I think this might be one area the NFL sticks to its guns with.  Colors I think should be off-limits no matter what as they look terrible when I’ve seen them done at any lower level.

Socks are one thing...but when you start swapping out color components on something as iconic as a team helmet and the brand becomes devalued.  That little bit of White helps create some needed contrast between helmet components.  

I think that unless it was for a “Color Rush” or alternate situation, this is a “no” for me at the NFL level.

I don't know. When Michigan went from white to navy chinstraps I think it elevated an already iconic helmet. I think as long as it matches the helmet she'll or facemask it would be fine.

Would it just be easier to say that chinstraps should match the helmet color? Or would it be better to match the facemask color? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

17 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Would it just be easier to say that chinstraps should match the helmet color? Or would it be better to match the facemask color? 

I'd say probably a case by case basis. I think the Browns and Packers would be better off matching the facemask. Bright orange or yellow straps would way too distracting.

But the Redskins, Vikings, Titans, and Chiefs might be better off matching the shell. 

38 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Because a gold face mask would be as intrusive on the Packers’ helmet as the white one is.  

I would suggest as a general rule of thumb that it match the darkest color on the helmet (burgundy for Washington, green for the Packers, etc.) although there may be exceptions to that.  

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Because a gold face mask would be as intrusive on the Packers’ helmet as the white one is. 

I would suggest as a general rule of thumb that it match the darkest color on the helmet (burgundy for Washington, green for the Packers, etc.) although there may be exceptions to that. 

How about matching the facemask then?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

11 minutes ago, Chawls said:

How about matching the facemask then?

That’s probably a good tactic in some cases.  Minnesota should have black to match their face mask, especially with their new lavender shells.

I really think the rule of thumb should be match the darkest color.  Shell, face mask, whichever is darker.

Maybe even use the darkest team color, period.  The Patriots would be better served with a navy chin strap than matching the red face mask or silver shell. 

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s probably a good tactic in some cases.  Minnesota should have black to match their face mask, especially with their new lavender shells.

I really think the rule of thumb should be match the darkest color.  Shell, face mask, whichever is darker.

Maybe even use the darkest team color, period.  The Patriots would be better served with a navy chin strap than matching the red face mask or silver shell. 

Yeah I was gonna ask about teams like the Niners, Chargers, and Cardinals, until you mentioned darkest team color overall. Though would a black chinstrap work for the Cardinals and Niners in your opinion?

Well now I have to go down the line.

Chinstrap color preference IMO.

eagles black

giants gray

washington burgundy 

cowboys white home/navy with navy uni

bears midnight blue

packers green

vikings purple

lions gray

saints black

falcons black